Retro Bicycle Thread

Delgado

Well done for completing the Tour of Ara Eric!

Make sure you remove the Rolls and seat pin and turn the bike upside down to see what is lurking in the seat tube!

Please post a pic of your Tour of Ara ride.

• Replies 6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Make sure you remove the Rolls and seat pin and turn the bike upside down to see what is lurking in the seat tube!

Well done to you and all the other riders.

Maybe one day, when I'm big!

Any riders doing the 947 on their classic bike?

I will be attempting it on the zeus. Hope there aren't any hills. 10speed is challenging..[emoji1]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks LC, and for the advice :). Here is a pic of of Tshepo and I. Tshepo is a young rider from Whippet Cycles who rode the last 70 km of the 200 km stage 1 route with me. BTW I did not have enough time to get the Alpina that I got from Vic ready for the ride so I rode the tour on my trusty old Hansom. It was really an awesome experience completing the Tour of ara.post-51655-0-71644500-1477231048_thumb.jpgpost-51655-0-37098300-1477231283_thumb.jpg  

Thanks LC, and for the advice :). Here is a pic of of Tshepo and I. Tshepo is a young rider from Whippet Cycles who rode the last 70 km of the 200 km stage 1 route with me. BTW I did not have enough time to get the Alpina that I got from Vic ready for the ride so I rode the tour on my trusty old Hansom. It was really an awesome experience completing the Tour of ara.attachicon.gif

Like Vic said above.....one day when I grow up!

I will be attempting it on the zeus. Hope there aren't any hills. 10speed is challenging..[emoji1]

You can get a SunRace 6/7/8 speed freewheel, that goes up to 28/30, makes 10 speed a lot easier, though the gaps between gears is significant :eek:

You can get a SunRace 6/7/8 speed freewheel, that goes up to 28/30, makes 10 speed a lot easier, though the gaps between gears is significant :eek:

Nope, just gonna htfu and do it.

It'll be fun, I swear...

I'm doing it on my specialized langster. Currently running a 40:18 but I think I'll drop it to a 38:18

It's going to be tough.

What time are you starting?

Nope, just gonna htfu and do it.

It'll be fun, I swear...

I'm doing it on my specialized langster. Currently running a 40:18 but I think I'll drop it to a 38:18

It's going to be tough.

Good luck to you guys.

Herald PE coming up soon, debating on whether to ride on my 11 spd Tommasini, or on a 10/12 speed retro.

Rode my Daccordi, with CDA 16 spd a few years ago, but didn't change the gearing and rode 42/19 as my lowest/highest (whatever)!!!

All I can say is that those young man's gears did not suit this old man's legs.

Good luck to you both and all the others that may ride old 'classics'.

Edited by HeyYou

So, after months my Cinelli pista is finally restored, hopefully close to its original condition.

A big thank you to QuintonB, Olfie1, Fixer for all your patience and assistance in getting the Cinelli back on the track.

Frame No. 194 

Estimated late 60's or early 70's

55.5cm ctc (56.5cm ctt) and 55cm ctc top tube

Cinelli headset, stem and bars

Campagnolo BB, crank and pista serrated pedals with NOS Cinelli flying C clips with Alfredo Binda double straps.

Campagnolo Record hubs on NOS Nisi Toro rims shod with Vittoria CS Pista 22mm rubber.

Campahnolo 26.2mm seatpin and Unicanitor drillium saddle.

post-44986-0-74417200-1477567559_thumb.jpg

post-44986-0-16707600-1477567665_thumb.jpg

post-44986-0-65790500-1477567693_thumb.jpg

Anyway, if you decipher it, it says Tony Impey on the top. 

So I contacted Tony and this is what he replied:

Hi Vic,

That was my bike sold it to a guy in the Cape in the eighties.

My Club Johannesburg Cycling Racing Team which was Sponsored by TI Raleigh at the time donated a Raleigh 753  to me.

For being the Club Omnium Champion .

Won 3 SA individual Pursuit Titles on it.

“    SA  20km and record holder 1976 on it.

“    SA  Games  40km Gold Medal on it.

“    SA  Games  4000m IND Pursuit Title on it

Great Memories.

Please send a pic.

Regards

Tony

So now the bike has some real history and thanks to Tony for replying, so real SA history in my hands.

Now its more than a restoration project mate, it's one with pedigree! Brilliant

It's going to be tough.

I will be riding it on my late 1980's Petini - which just saw good service on the 2016 Tour of Ara.

It's going to be tough.

Are you riding fixed or ss ?