Retro Bicycle Thread

Delgado

• Replies 6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Got this over the weekend, agreed on a price with the seller last night (who happens to be a guy I know very well). It was his fathers bike and he bought it new and spec'd it with Shimano 600 7 Speed.

I have a Campag C-Record groupset with Delta's that i think may look very nice on this frame. Frame is in amazing condition, 2 or 3 paint chips and the chrome is in outstanding condition.

Pictures not the greatest, will post once I have stripped and cleaned it all up.

post-35520-0-24034800-1495526278_thumb.jpg

post-35520-0-30246700-1495526279_thumb.jpg

post-35520-0-30738000-1495526274_thumb.jpg

Got this over the weekend, agreed on a price with the seller last night (who happens to be a guy I know very well). It was his fathers bike and he bought it new and spec'd it with Shimano 600 7 Speed.

I have a Campag C-Record groupset with Delta's that i think may look very nice on this frame. Frame is in amazing condition, 2 or 3 paint chips and the chrome is in outstanding condition.

Pictures not the greatest, will post once I have stripped and cleaned it all up.

attachicon.gifIMG-20170516-WA0001.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG-20170516-WA0002.jpg

attachicon.gif20170519_184813.jpg

.....or you can keep it as is and sell the C-Record to me :whistling:  :ph34r:

.....or you can keep it as is and sell the C-Record to me :whistling:  :ph34r:

or me

why are all these frames sooo beeegg?

attachicon.gifIMG-20170516-WA0001.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG-20170516-WA0002.jpg

attachicon.gif20170519_184813.jpg

Raced one of these in the early 90s ( a red one ) . Always regret selling it . A great bicycle !

Had some time on my hands this weekend so decided to polish up these bad boys. Now to strip the wheels to get the hubs and do that.

Are you going to have some time on your hands next weekend? I have some DA AX bits that need the same treatment  :)

Had some time on my hands this weekend so decided to polish up these bad boys. Now to strip the wheels to get the hubs and do that.

you are obviously a much better polisher than me or you have a better polisher those bits look awesome

Hello Ladies & Gents

I need some advice slash guidance.

My first bike was a Alu GT Zaskar Expert All Terra (probably 2008 model, so not classified as retro) and it changed my world. Since then I was in love with the Triple Triangle Design.

Obviously, I made the mistake of selling it.

For the past few months I have been keeping an eye out for a older model Zaskar to buy. Not sure to do what with, but I'll come back to that.

I didn't expect what was to come over my path. 

Long story short, I bought a 1997 Gt Xizang titanium on OLX. Attached is a photo of the same frame (I will post pics later). The choice weapon of some of the original Team GT racing!

It is a thing of beauty.

The previous owner attempted to restore the bike, but it was an half-arse job, or he lost interest or something.

Most parts are original or at least "date-correct" and in good condition and the frame is in great condition.

So, I need to decide what direction I am going with this...

1. Restore it to the original (or as close as) and cruise with it on Sundays?

2. Use the parts that are still good, and replace the others with modern ones and ride it, hard.

Current Situation.

Frame: As mentioned, great condition, seems like the Original decals. There is a small section of fine paint (spray) that came onto the frame probably while other parts were sprayed:

Fork: From what I can tell it is a RockShox Judy, but it has been resprayed very poorly. (Looks like someone with a spraycan and some babbelas-shakes). Seems like the original colour could have been gold?

XTR Crank - Great condition

XTR brakes and shifters - Good condition with a bolt or two missing

FR: XTR perfect

RD: Shimano 8 spd Dura-ace road bike, I think.

Wheels - Mavic SUP rims, decent spokes, aftermarket hubs with a big crack in the rear hub body.

The rest are all cheapish aftermarket components.

I will post pictures ASAP.

In the meantime, some pics of what potential the bike holds.

Please advise me what you would do in this situation.

Thanks.

post-23612-0-62553600-1496316860_thumb.jpg

post-23612-0-75015300-1496318501_thumb.jpg

post-23612-0-86875500-1496318504_thumb.jpg

post-23612-0-27052400-1496318506_thumb.jpg

post-23612-0-74045000-1496319018_thumb.jpg

post-23612-0-24557100-1496319024_thumb.jpg

Edited by WernerLouwBosman

Hello Ladies & Gents

I need some advice slash guidance.

My first bike was a Alu GT Zaskar Expert All Terra (probably 2008 model, so not classified as retro) and it changed my world. Since then I was in love with the Triple Triangle Design.

Obviously, I made the mistake of selling it.

For the past few months I have been keeping an eye out for a older model Zaskar to buy. Not sure to do what with, but I'll come back to that.

I didn't expect what was to come over my path. 

Long story short, I bought a 1997 Gt Xizang titanium on OLX. Attached is a photo of the same frame (I will post pics later). The choice weapon of some of the original Team GT racing!

It is a thing of beauty.

The previous owner attempted to restore the bike, but it was an half-arse job, or he lost interest or something.

Most parts are original or at least "date-correct" and in good condition and the frame is in great condition.

So, I need to decide what direction I am going with this...

1. Restore it to the original (or as close as) and cruise with it on Sundays?

2. Use the parts that are still good, and replace the others with modern ones and ride it, hard.

Current Situation.

Frame: As mentioned, great condition, seems like the Original decals. There is a small section of fine paint (spray) that came onto the frame probably while other parts were sprayed:

Fork: From what I can tell it is a RockShox Judy, but it has been resprayed very poorly. (Looks like someone with a spraycan and some babbelas-shakes). Seems like the original colour could have been gold?

XTR Crank - Great condition

XTR brakes and shifters - Good condition with a bolt or two missing

FR: XTR perfect

RD: Shimano 8 spd Dura-ace road bike, I think.

Wheels - Mavic SUP rims, decent spokes, aftermarket hubs with a big crack in the rear hub body.

The rest are all cheapish aftermarket components.

I will post pictures ASAP.

In the meantime, some pics of what potential the bike holds.

Please advise me what you would do in this situation.

Thanks.

My opinion: Restomod.

Buy this fork in the classifieds:post-86802-0-79289600-1496319818_thumb.jpg

Dropper post. 1x11 drivetrain. Build yourself some nice wheels. Get a disc brake adapter and disc brakes!

I'm no vintage dude, so take this with a bit of salt...