Retro Bicycle Thread

Delgado

Hi Guys,

I'm new here and hope I am posting this in the right place.

I recently developed a liking for cruiser bikes.  I have looked around a bit online but there doesn't seem to be much available here in SA.  Sportsmans warehouse has a basic Schwinn and there are two distributors who have the SE Bikes Big Style Cruiser.

Unfortunately they don't have gears nor front brakes.

I really like the look of the bikes here: http://www.electrabike.com/bikes/cruiser/coaster-7d but apparently they may only be available in SA some time next year.  Mikes bikes in Greenside (apparently the authorised / exclusive importer) say that since Electra was bought by Trek they don't know when they will get their bikes again.

My question is: does anyone know where I could get a cruiser with gears, front and back brakes, with a frame for a tall person - I am 6ft 5inches (195cm tall).

It would also be great to get something with disk brakes if possible.

I'm looking forward to your responses.

Regards,

Paul.

• Replies 6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So when last did anyone see one of these.. Pretty cool hey?  I'm guessing early 90's?   Triathlon bike with 26' racing bike wheels. Got this for my 12 year old as it seemed to fit him better than the smallest road bike that's passed through my hands. Until 2 days ago when i found a junior Alpina ( Pretty awesome :clap:  ). Paint work is busted up on the Wheeler so gonna do what i love doing with this baby and in my favourite colour.. ( Blue and white ).. Hope i find some time this weekend to trick her out and post for sale next week sometime. 

post-49959-0-90930100-1411142816_thumb.jpg

Bianchi Built update: - attached some photos of the progress from completely stripped to painted. Now just waiting for the decals to arrive then the adding of equipment can start.

post-1614-0-07060100-1411365798_thumb.jpg

post-1614-0-48242100-1411365833_thumb.jpg

post-1614-0-62348700-1411365907_thumb.jpg

post-1614-0-42780500-1411365928_thumb.jpg

Bianchi Built update: - attached some photos of the progress from completely stripped to painted. Now just waiting for the decals to arrive then the adding of equipment can start.

Looks very good. Who did the painting for you, very nice "white" detail on the embossed logo's.

Looks very good. Who did the painting for you, very nice "white" detail on the embossed logo's.

Thanks QB - This is a real home project so doing everything myself. Ordered decals from the UK so just waiting for that to continue

Edited by Broker

After cleaning the frame I sanded the "Nickel Plating" with 1000 water paper just to get a bit of roughness on it. Used Edge Primer as undercoat and then 2K Celeste that a paintshop mixed for me with extra hardener. Spayed with el Cheapo gun bought from the paintshop. As soon as the decals are on the full frame to be covered with 2k Clear.

After cleaning the frame I sanded the "Nickel Plating" with 1000 water paper just to get a bit of roughness on it. Used Edge Primer as undercoat and then 2K Celeste that a paintshop mixed for me with extra hardener. Spayed with el Cheapo gun bought from the paintshop. As soon as the decals are on the full frame to be covered with 2k Clear.

Any chance of a link or pic of the el cheapo gun?

Will take a pic tonight. Not even sure it's got a name on

Does anyone know where I can get my hands on new shimano gear cable housings.(The old clear stuff that came with the exage groups) Looking for it for a restoration of my Alan. I was able to find brand new brake cable housing but no luck with the gear housing.

My apologies for only getting back now. Attached a picture - not the one I've got - but look exactly the same. No name on it as it's being used a lot before I got it

post-1614-0-64370100-1411710184_thumb.png

Does anyone know where I can get my hands on new shimano gear cable housings.(The old clear stuff that came with the exage groups) Looking for it for a restoration of my Alan. I was able to find brand new brake cable housing but no luck with the gear housing.

Any bike shop should have. I bought mine for my Hansom restoration from Cycle Centre in Westville. 

Guest notmyname

My apologies for only getting back now. Attached a picture - not the one I've got - but look exactly the same. No name on it as it's being used a lot before I got it

I'd have a look in a pawn store. They always have a section that has diy goodies.