Retro Bicycle Thread

Delgado

Oh, and before I forget, there are a couple of South African names in there as well. Not classics yet, and mountain bikes:

Morewood Sukuma (Pain or Shine will be happy to hear that he bought the right bike  ;) )

Pyga OneTen 29

Pyga OneTwenty 650B

• Replies 6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone got a size 53/54 steel road frame with a bit of pedigree that they'd like to part with...? Preferably not a locally made frame.

I'm putting parts together for a modern retro build.

How much pedigree?

Are you only interested in Italian?

It all comes down to budget...give us more info

How much pedigree?

Are you only interested in Italian?

It all comes down to budget...give us more info

I am indeed interested.

The purists will probably not be impressed, but I want to fit a modern 10/11 speed groupset and carbon wheels to an old frame. Italian is perfect, but I'd prefer something with a BSA thread. Not too many current grouppo's are Italian threaded BB shell friendly.

It must be steel.

I'm not able to shell out for a bespoke steel build from Donhou bikes or the like, so my original plan was to buy a Ritchey Road Logic to build up, but a frame alone is just shy of 15k.

So I don't want to shoot the lights out on a frame. I'd prefer to spend the bulk of my budget on the groupset and wheels.

It's likely that I'll strip the paint off the bike and have it custom sprayed by Bogus, so it needn't be in perfect nick, just no terminal rust or dents/bends/gouges.

These are the lines I'm thinking along...

I love the look of skinny tubing with deep sections.

post-2885-0-61336100-1413149064_thumb.png

post-2885-0-00965300-1413149103_thumb.png

Entries for EROICA BRITANNIA open next month sometime. I'm definitely going to try to go again. Really enjoyed it last time, though it's a lot hillier than I expected.

But, I suppose it depends on the fate of the Rand. At 30:1 I'll have to give it a miss.

post-25781-0-88366200-1413181103_thumb.jpg

Hi Maj. Thank you for the kind words.

I too can't identify the frame from the photos, which are good by the way. So many frame builders used Campagnolo dropouts.

Please can you turn the bike upside down and take a picture of the bottom bracket lug and let us know what the numbers and letters are. We may be able to assist. Also a few pics of the fork crown and seat lug and stays will help.

Take Brasso and clean the frame to see if you can remove the rust patches? If the pitting is too deep it would require a re-chrome. Because you live in Botswana the air is dry and it may restore nicely.

Campagnolo groupset is Victory or Triomphe. I have a very nice front and rear derailleur to replace the Shimano. The wheel hubs are Record 6spd dating lae 70's early 80's.

PS Maj, that's a French 35 bottom bracket thread. Take care when removing as 35 square tapered BB's are very hard to find in SA. It may be a French frame so let us know what numbers are on the BB lug

I am indeed interested.

The purists will probably not be impressed, but I want to fit a modern 10/11 speed groupset and carbon wheels to an old frame. Italian is perfect, but I'd prefer something with a BSA thread. Not too many current grouppo's are Italian threaded BB shell friendly.

It must be steel.

I'm not able to shell out for a bespoke steel build from Donhou bikes or the like, so my original plan was to buy a Ritchey Road Logic to build up, but a frame alone is just shy of 15k.

So I don't want to shoot the lights out on a frame. I'd prefer to spend the bulk of my budget on the groupset and wheels.

It's likely that I'll strip the paint off the bike and have it custom sprayed by Bogus, so it needn't be in perfect nick, just no terminal rust or dents/bends/gouges.

attachicon.gifRitchey Road Logic .png

attachicon.gifRitchey Road Logic 2.png

I did something similar not too long ago. In fact, I think I posted about it in this very thread. 1989 Daccordi Mitico with a 10 speed Campagnolo mix. Centaur skeleton brakes, Carbon Chorus Ultra Torque cranks, Carbon Record shifters and aluminium Centaur derailleurs. The BB is Italian thread and Ultra Torque BB cups are readily available in Italian thread. Just no deep sections, yet......

My Battaglin that's just been built up, coming for sale later this week once the saddle has been chosen.

Nice Cromovelato frame

My Battaglin that's just been built up, coming for sale later this week once the saddle has been chosen.

Nice Cromovelato frame

Wow Evan, thats really beautiful!

Is this the one Glenzito restored for you?

Wow Evan, thats really beautiful!

Is this the one Glenzito restored for you?

That's the one, Glen did an awesome job

I am indeed interested.

It must be steel.

attachicon.gifRitchey Road Logic .png

attachicon.gifRitchey Road Logic 2.png

Frikkin roadie posers ;)

PS Maj, that's a French 35 bottom bracket thread. Take care when removing as 35 square tapered BB's are very hard to find in SA. It may be a French frame so let us know what numbers are on the BB lug

Heya Loose Cog

Took a pic of the BB lug, no numbers or letters! Cable guide just says Made in France. Haven't tried removing the BB because we're not sure how to go about it - think we're missing the right tool...

post-64181-0-81629100-1413272774_thumb.jpg

post-64181-0-54036700-1413272781_thumb.jpg

post-64181-0-74693000-1413272790_thumb.jpg

That's the one, Glen did an awesome job

Glen does awesome work. Definitely the guy to see for classic builds, parts and restorations in Gauteng.

How do we get hold of him though..?

He doesn't come here too often. No answers to PM's...

PM'd you his cell number