For example:

• it is not a 55cm
  • it doesn't park in my lounge
  • it is gold
  • the wheels suck
  • the decals say "Weener"

I can go on, and on, and on!

Seriously, that is a lovely Viner Sire.

Do you want take it to Hector Norris Park tomorrow pm?

Why, thank you sir

I'll wa u re hnp

Cheers :)

• Replies 6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Being a retro guy (in more ways than one- vis being 78 and so behind

the times and technologically challenged)

this is my first go at this forum.

With the Eroica on the radar, and with the prodding of the organisers of this event, I guess I'll try later to post some specific bikes

that would be appropriate to gravel roads and the period requirementsfor would- be participants.

However in the meantime take a look at the Flikr site showing just

some of the selection (there are 300).

google classic cycle collectors club.

if you would like to chat or are looking for something specific-

be it a bike or a part- give me a ring @ 0825703650.I have had some

experience of gravel road riding on retro steel bikes.

Being a retro guy (in more ways than one- vis being 78 and so behind

the times and technologically challenged)

this is my first go at this forum.

With the Eroica on the radar, and with the prodding of the organisers of this event, I guess I'll try later to post some specific bikes

that would be appropriate to gravel roads and the period requirementsfor would- be participants.

However in the meantime take a look at the Flikr site showing just

some of the selection (there are 300).

google classic cycle collectors club.

if you would like to chat or are looking for something specific-

be it a bike or a part- give me a ring @ 0825703650.I have had some

experience of gravel road riding on retro steel bikes.

Hi Brad

Your father, Ron, has a great collection but I'm sad to say that he will never be able to sell anything given his attitude and asking price in my opinion (any many others that I have spoken to too) and if he does, you will end up paying for it three times over.

I have been to Ron a number of times, and he refuses to sell any parts unless you are taking an entire batch of goods which makes it extremely uneconomical. With regards bikes, many of them have been refurbished or resprayed. Ron demands that you buy a few from him and they come at one hell of a hefty price. For instance, he wanted to sell me a damaged Alan frame for R15000.

His argument is, he has the bikes, so he will dictate their pricing.

He is however passionate about the sport, but that doesn't make me want to max out my credit card because he's a "nice guy". I for one would rather continue the treasure hunt and look elsewhere for these hidden gems we have all come to love.

Hi Brad

Your father, Ron, has a great collection but I'm sad to say that he will never be able to sell anything given his attitude and asking price in my opinion (any many others that I have spoken to too) and if he does, you will end up paying for it three times over.

I have been to Ron a number of times, and he refuses to sell any parts unless you are taking an entire batch of goods which makes it extremely uneconomical. With regards bikes, many of them have been refurbished or resprayed. Ron demands that you buy a few from him and they come at one hell of a hefty price. For instance, he wanted to sell me a damaged Alan frame for R15000.

His argument is, he has the bikes, so he will dictate their pricing.

He is however passionate about the sport, but that doesn't make me want to max out my credit card because he's a "nice guy". I for one would rather continue the treasure hunt and look elsewhere for these hidden gems we have all come to love.

I must agree my best finds have been through treasure hunts, by word of mouth, like the Bianchi I bought from Cash Crusaders and the Peugeot that I bought from my cupboard guys mate who had been hanging it in his garage for 14 years, and don't forget about the bike I bought from Oom Koos who did one Argus and then hung the bike in his garage for 22 years. I don't mind paying for a good vintage bike, but no need to pay exorbitant prices.

Can someone please show me what the cleats look like for bikes with toe clips? I'm assuming that there is such a thing as the old shoes above ll appear to have a cleat fitting. 

Hi Al, I picked this up yesterday and I was wondering if anyone can shed some light on what it is. The Frame says Peugeot Competition 2000 and the parts, decals and bar tape (original) are in line with a 1996 Peugeot competition 2000 as is the weight 10.5kg.

Here is the problem, the front fork is Peugeot but it's straight and it not what these came out with, also there are no material identifiers on the frame and the head badge is a sticker. Can anyone possibly shed some light on what this is and the year, I know its an imported frame, not a Hanson built one?

Update: I believe it s a very uncommon 1988 Competition 2000 which was just before they were discontinued and the first model to try straight forks.

Edited by panascape

Anyone remember this Look bike computer? Circa 1989. It was one of  the first (if not the first) power meters. Look MaxOne. It came with a rear hub (made by mavic) which takes a screw on cluster. Ive been toying with the idea of fitting it to a SS im busy building.

To be honest, NO, I didn't even know these existed!

But, my first Heart Rate monitor, circa 1985, still got it and it still works!

post-25781-0-94282700-1449482307_thumb.jpg

Hi all

Im looking for the following parts for my Sancini build.

I need a Left side Dura Ace 7402 crank arm 175mm as you see in the picture mine has a crack. I don't know if it can be repaired? If you have a left side or complete crankset please let me know. 

Im also in need of a 26.8mm seat post and 42mm Cinelli road bars.

your help will be appreciated

Hey DanThunders ... too many posts since you sent this original request, to check if you got lucky (sorry - slipped my mind until searching for something else in the garage), but I have an alternative for you if you weren't successful in your search for left crank arm - I have a Shimano 600 for you if interested ... let me know.

Can someone please show me what the cleats look like for bikes with toe clips? I'm assuming that there is such a thing as the old shoes above ll appear to have a cleat fitting. 

Latterly, mid to late 80s, many of the makes of different pedals had different cleats.

But, essentially, all had a 'channel', in which the rear pedal plate inserted. The straps then tightened the shoe into the pedal, holding the back plate in the 'channel'.

Mid to late 80s Shimano pedals and cleats had an extra retention in the front..

post-25781-0-81225500-1449656787_thumb.jpg

post-25781-0-98712200-1449656801_thumb.jpg

post-25781-0-00749000-1449656815_thumb.jpg