Retro Bicycle Thread

Delgado

I have a Peugeot Competition 2000 but it is a mono carbon frame probably manufactured by Look. Will take some pics and provide further details over the weekend.

• Replies 6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So this will prob be my last build for 2015. I might have one more up my sleeve but this got a full refurbishment. Thanks to Eppie for providing me with the frame. Always wanted a Celeste coloured bianchi and when Eppie got me the frame I Couldn resist overhauling it. Above u will find a bianchi equipt with 10 speed veloce rolling on mavic pro sup with a vetta saddle, cinelli bars and stem covered with some sweet fizik bar tape.

post-66957-0-25651300-1449696065_thumb.jpeg

post-66957-0-15113000-1449696099_thumb.jpeg

post-66957-0-79325700-1449696126_thumb.jpeg

post-66957-0-61525000-1449696167_thumb.jpeg

post-66957-0-33517700-1449696188_thumb.jpeg

Latterly, mid to late 80s, many of the makes of different pedals had different cleats.

But, essentially, all had a 'channel', in which the rear pedal plate inserted. The straps then tightened the shoe into the pedal, holding the back plate in the 'channel'.

Mid to late 80s Shimano pedals and cleats had an extra retention in the front..

And where would one start to find such a wondrous thing for a pair of Shimano 80's pedals? Edited by Spirog

And where would one start to find such a wondrous thing for a pair of Shimano 80's pedals?

HEN'S TEETH!!!!!

On eBay you'll pay anything from $50 to $150 :eek:

But contact Olffie1, he's looking into having some 3D printed and the more the cheaper, I suppose.

I suppose that goes for anyone else also.

This morning took my brand new 30 year old Petini for its first ride up Groenkloof ridge - lovely! Thank you to Eppie for arranging the delivery of the bike - all packaged well and even putting a new set of tyres on for me. I look forward to doing some epic vintage rides on my new beauty! 

I guess this bike hails form the late 1980s and most likely constructed from Reynolds tubing (unfortunately the sticker naming the tubing is gone). All paintwork is original as well as the decals. Will make a trip to Linden Cycle next week to show to them. Amazing how well the bike rides - dropping down the ridge at 70 kph it felt stable and smooth, soaking up the road bumps. Very responsive when climbing. Love it!

post-84793-0-64581100-1449749450_thumb.jpg

post-84793-0-68447600-1449749459_thumb.jpg

Hi Guys,

Looking for some help and advice, I am keen on restoring this lovely Zini classic but I am worried of a few things and 1 of them mainly is losing the original decals (pics attached), should I strip the bike down and restore and is there somebody who can replicate these decals? I would like to put them back after repaint etc.

Secondly should I go single speed or fixed gear or leave as a geared bike and restore ?

Thanks guys.

post-3223-0-25408700-1449777765_thumb.jpg

post-3223-0-93010000-1449777781_thumb.jpg

post-3223-0-96442500-1449777792_thumb.jpg

post-3223-0-48353100-1449777802_thumb.jpg

post-3223-0-40861000-1449777813_thumb.jpg

post-3223-0-67548400-1449777843_thumb.jpg

Hi Guys,

Looking for some help and advice, I am keen on restoring this lovely Zini classic but I am worried of a few things and 1 of them mainly is losing the original decals (pics attached), should I strip the bike down and restore and is there somebody who can replicate these decals? I would like to put them back after repaint etc.

Secondly should I go single speed or fixed gear or leave as a geared bike and restore ?

Thanks guys.

Annette at Cycledelic on the East Rand resprayed my Hansom and replaced all the stickers. The bike looks like the day it came out the factory.

IMO - restore it to original to keep the old bikes im circulation. The world doesn't need another single speed, but it does need more lovingly restored bikes that remind us of our history and heritage.

post-57883-0-45493600-1449815516_thumb.jpeg

Hi Guys,

Thanks guys.

As someone who owns several ss and geared bikes, I must second Spirog above:

Only make it a ss if the components are shot, and you don't want to invest in others for that particular build. If the existing components are good or you have bits lying around, then I reckon make it a geared bike as it originally was.

I thoroughly enjoy riding ss/fixed bikes, but a geared will always be more versatile and ultimately more usable. 

@ Spirog & Wazz_pe, thanks will check the components out and advise. I managed to get a Raleigh bicycle today, made in SA (Springs), will send a pic, its a bit rough as the guy I bought it from has been using it as a daily so maybe I should convert this classic to a SS/Fixie, will send pics later tonight.

I will be in touch with Annette and see what they have to say about the decals.

@spirog please post some pics of your Zini ;)

My Zini is a Hansom. I have just got my wheels back from a full rebuild and will hopefully take her on her first ride on Sunday. I'm sooooo excited. Pics will follow.

Hi Guys,

Thanks guys.

attachicon.gifIMG_3140.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_3143.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_3144.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_3148.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_3190.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_3192.JPG

Fixie = fun, just don't cut anything off

Hi Guys,

Thanks guys.

attachicon.gifIMG_3140.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_3143.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_3144.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_3148.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_3190.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_3192.JPG

I'd try and keep the original decals and paint and work around them.

My Zini is a Hansom. I have just got my wheels back from a full rebuild and will hopefully take her on her first ride on Sunday. I'm sooooo excited. Pics will follow.

This Zini I have has Wolber wheels, any good?

Original Reynolds tubing decals are available from a company in the UK, called Lloyd something or other. Google is your friend.

A couple of guys are doing decals locally including Tyrone on the hub. Tyrone should have the templates for the SA built Zini's.

Agreed with above posts, please don't cut off rear derailleur hangers, grind off cable housing guides or downtime shifter mounts.

If you will use the bike as a SS or fixie then build it up as such but keep the other bits so you can restore it later if you want.