Delgado

• Replies 6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello Ladies & Gents

I need some advice slash guidance.

My first bike was a Alu GT Zaskar Expert All Terra (probably 2008 model, so not classified as retro) and it changed my world. Since then I was in love with the Triple Triangle Design.

Obviously, I made the mistake of selling it.

For the past few months I have been keeping an eye out for a older model Zaskar to buy. Not sure to do what with, but I'll come back to that.

I didn't expect what was to come over my path. 

Long story short, I bought a 1997 Gt Xizang titanium on OLX. Attached is a photo of the same frame (I will post pics later). The choice weapon of some of the original Team GT racing!

It is a thing of beauty.

The previous owner attempted to restore the bike, but it was an half-arse job, or he lost interest or something.

Most parts are original or at least "date-correct" and in good condition and the frame is in great condition.

So, I need to decide what direction I am going with this...

1. Restore it to the original (or as close as) and cruise with it on Sundays?

2. Use the parts that are still good, and replace the others with modern ones and ride it, hard.

Current Situation.

Frame: As mentioned, great condition, seems like the Original decals. There is a small section of fine paint (spray) that came onto the frame probably while other parts were sprayed:

Fork: From what I can tell it is a RockShox Judy, but it has been resprayed very poorly. (Looks like someone with a spraycan and some babbelas-shakes). Seems like the original colour could have been gold?

XTR Crank - Great condition

XTR brakes and shifters - Good condition with a bolt or two missing

FR: XTR perfect

RD: Shimano 8 spd Dura-ace road bike, I think.

Wheels - Mavic SUP rims, decent spokes, aftermarket hubs with a big crack in the rear hub body.

The rest are all cheapish aftermarket components.

I will post pictures ASAP.

In the meantime, some pics of what potential the bike holds.

Please advise me what you would do in this situation.

Thanks.

Hi Werner

i'm no mtbr but that thing looks hot.

Agree Restomod.

And then " Ride it like you stole it"

Hey guys.

Anyone know what the purpose was/is for the long prongs at the dropouts on this Schwinn Paramount frame?

http://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/mvkAAOSwuMZZKMIA/s-l1600.jpg

I was thinking maybe to rest the frame on?

Cant see it having anything to do with safety even if wingbolts worked loose.

Yes, please.

Can you send me a PM or whatsapp 073 069 3979 picture or two. Thank you

beat me to it lol .... if its victory or similar and you want to sell it on let me know :)

Edited by bikebloke

Hey guys, thought this might be the right place to glean some vintage bike knowledge.

I'm putting together a bike for next years Eroica and I was wondering to myself if its possible to get a vintage compact crankset?

Hey guys, thought this might be the right place to glean some vintage bike knowledge.

I'm putting together a bike for next years Eroica and I was wondering to myself if its possible to get a vintage compact crankset?

As far as i know, and ive certainly never seen one, compact cranks didn't exist back when i was young!!!!!

But, some cranks could fit 39 tooth chain wheels. But still tough on the old legs!

But, wait, there's more!!!

Racing triples were available!!

I have a late 80s Campag Record racing triple and i have a Suntour Superbe triple (about mid 80s also).

Look for classic triple, even better than a compact, or use a standard crank with a 30 cog.

"But, some cranks could fit 39 tooth chain wheels. But still tough on the old legs!

But, wait, there's more!!!

Racing triples were available!!"

If that is not enough put a 7 speed 11--28 or 11-32 freewheel/cassette on then you will be sorted. There might be some clearance problems with the 32t but I've got one running with a Shimano 600 Arabesque RD and no problems.

Edited by Barry_W

Thanks for the feedback guys. I did some rummaging and it looks like the Sugino GT cranks come in what they call Alpine gearing (basically compact), 50/34t with a 110bcd. Maybe I'll try and snag one of those off ebay. Otherwise an 11-30 on the back sounds like an easy option

11-28 or 11-32 sprockets work fine and try long reach RD (from MTB range) if you have issues with chain clearance.

Alternatively this works well, as seen on my FW Evans.

post-44986-0-14376700-1497428366_thumb.jpg

11-28 or 11-32 sprockets work fine and try long reach RD (from MTB range) if you have issues with chain clearance.

Alternatively this works well, as seen on my FW Evans.

attachicon.gifIMG_6634.jpg

That will definitely get me over any conceivable obstacle!

• 3 weeks later...