Retro Bicycle Thread

Delgado

• Replies 6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi All.

Only discovered the thread a few days ago.

Awesome to see all the old bikes coming back to life.

I might have a few bits and pieces.

I am not sure if I must mention the items here or is there a for sale thread where I should post it. If wrong apologies.

I have two complete road wheel sets (7 block clusters) as well as 2 loose rims. Also have a back wheel rim which takes a tubby. Mostly Shimano components but rims are Mavic.

I quickly had a look after posting. It looks like the one wheel set is Campag.

I will scratch around as I think I have a handlebar somewhere and brake levers ext.

Let me know.

Thanks

Johan

Edited by Johan_Kleynhans

Please post them Johan, there are always guys looking for parts to complete vintage builds :thumbup:

I'm looking for a 42 or 44 vintage handlebar as well, my Hansom sports a 39cm c-c handlebar that is going to give me a cleft chest :-)

Edited by Buff_SA

Thanks for the responses. I will clean up all and post photos over the weekend. Everything was stored in the roof but it was covered with an oily cover so everything is now covered with an oily dust.

Hubs are all ok and still working. Must just be repacked with grease.

Johan

Hi Heart Coppi

The Colnago Bititan frame you sold me years ago is still a fantastic ride. I take it out for a spin once a month or so and every time I enjoy how super solid it is, like riding a scalpel. Where they got a reputation for being a little bendy I cannot fathom. This is what the old girl looks like now, after a bit of a climb fest up the Glen to Kloofneck, Signal Hill and Tafelberg Road. She can still hang with the Big Guns.

DJR 

post-17716-0-63381100-1511080048_thumb.jpg

My 2 hour ride this morning. 

Not sure if she's a Mondial or a 920. Always difficult with bloody Bianchi!!!!!

She has an Italian BB, so almost certainly manufactured by hand in Treviglio and by the looks of things, around mid 80s. 

Complete mid 80s Athena groupo, other than seat post. Stem is 3T and bars are Cinelli Criterium.

post-25781-0-73979400-1511087724_thumb.jpg

Edited by HeyYou

Hi Heart Coppi

The Colnago Bititan frame you sold me years ago is still a fantastic ride. I take it out for a spin once a month or so and every time I enjoy how super solid it is, like riding a scalpel. Where they got a reputation for being a little bendy I cannot fathom. This is what the old girl looks like now, after a bit of a climb fest up the Glen to Kloofneck, Signal Hill and Tafelberg Road. She can still hang with the Big Guns.

DJR 

Wow, what a superb machine.

I am dazzled; the geometry looks so super tight, the bike looks fast and you've put everything that belongs in a top drawer on her.

A Colnago doesn't really raise any sort of emotion within me; but this one ... ja....I've saved it in my Colnago folder. There are a few pics in there. One has those only for reference or for identification purposes. This one is saved out of affection.

Always  loved that yellow burst over the rear dropouts. 

Nicely done.

Bianchi!!!!!

She has an Italian BB, so almost certainly manufactured by hand in Treviglio and by the looks of things, around mid 80s. 

Complete mid 80s Athena groupo, other than seat post. Stem is 3T and bars are Cinelli Criterium.

Man that's lovely and a particularly nice wheelset.

You'll need some nice Italian tools to work on that nice Italian bike :thumbup: .

Just as a matter of interest.. I see that the rear brake cable is RHS over. I was also wondering about that, when I built up a 1988 Athena bike because those brakes seemed to lead out in such an offset way. I kept mine (LHS over) because I brake rear with my right hand.

Edited by HeartCoppi

Man that's lovely and a particularly nice wheelset.

You'll need some nice Italian tools to work on that nice Italian bike :thumbup: .

Just as a matter of interest.. I see that the rear brake cable is RHS over. I was also wondering about that, when I built up a 1988 Athena bike because those brakes seemed to lead out in such an offset way. I kept mine (LHS over) because I brake rear with my right hand.

Thanks HC.

I always ride right hand front brake, simply because I ride a motor bike too, so don't want to get confused!!!

The groupo came with a Daccordi I bought new in about 88, which I've now dressed in mostly 50th Ann. goodies. I rode her at Eroica Britannia this year and have left her in the UK.

Yup, looking forward to getting the tools :drool:

......Yup, looking forward to getting the tools :drool:

I trust you are referring to the Campy tools that was for sale here on the Hub? If they are going your way then I am very happy because they found a good home :thumbup:

• 2 weeks later...

I recently acquired a bike with Columbus MXL tubing and not having seen this before I did some "Google research" and came across this interesting article. It does actually look like the top is smaller in diameter than the other tubes.Excuse the stem it is still a work in progress. post-51655-0-31309500-1512128997_thumb.jpg  http://www.veloaficionado.com/blog/columbus-mini-max-tubing-a-helpful-guide

Edited by Eppie

I recently acquired a bike with Columbus MXL tubing and not having seen this before I did some "Google research" and came across this interesting article. It does actually look like the top is smaller in diameter than the other tubes.Excuse the stem it is still a work in progress. attachicon.gifcorsa.jpg  http://www.veloaficionado.com/blog/columbus-mini-max-tubing-a-helpful-guide

I must apoligize I made a mistake with the tubing on this bike it is actually Columbus TSX. The MX leader is built with the MLX tubing.I will have to do some research on TSX tubing.