Retro Bicycle Thread

Delgado

im with heartcoppi, looks like a PUG, ill try find some more similarities tomorrow. the search for the shimano 600 shifters continue.

Cool -

I would like to know what it was in its original state..

Let me know when the 600 - 6 speed (12 speed old school) shifters, surface...

I think the bicycle originally came from Australia, - but the Aussies - put different names on the same frames..

Like here with - Raleigh, Le Jeune, ect etc...

• Replies 6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Bravo Fixer! Someone who knows how to do bar tape properly, the old way without crappy gummy tape.

Gorgeous bikes. Beautifully kept.

Edited by LeTurbo

You have to quite specific here.

Your shifters are the Shimano 600EX BL6207

I think so because you definitely have the crankset FC6207 from this series.

Looks like the BR6208 brakes and the correct FD6207 and a 600SIS RD 6208

You cant use ultegra tricolor with this, you definitely need the SL620_

The gum hoods are non aero and seller: felisbarb sells quite a few NOS on ebay.com approx 20USD plus shipping

Hi -

Agreed, the Shimano group set is 600 EX - from 1986/7

Its the first range of Shimano proudly displaying SIS - (Shimano Indexing System)

I do need indexed, levers, -.. and the The correct detail =

Shifters: Shimano SL-S434 Light Action. 6 Speed SIS.

SEE PIC ATTACHED....post-2502-0-63481300-1307115063.jpg

I managed to narrow the bikes history back to being Japanese Frame built in 1986/7 -

Due to the whole bicycle being equipped with only shimano - the Shimano 600 - down to the hubs -

The rims and handle bars are also eastern the wheels rims are Japanese...ARAYA - Bronze coloured .

The Handle Bar - Chinese - HSINLUNG - HL - some research shows this company the maker of high end bicycle components..

So - Australian sold Japanese -

Edited by MTB0007

SOME MORE PICS, - I dont remember Peugeot having detail around water bottle screw...

Frame and forks are chromoly as per the decals....post-2502-0-07338500-1307028284.jpgpost-2502-0-26296000-1307028313.jpgpost-2502-0-16111200-1307028332.jpgpost-2502-0-25337700-1307028342.jpg

Could be anything really. Many companies used tange tubing, even Colnago for a brief period. Tange 900 was a more budget oriented tubeset though.

There are two "P"'s: one on the BB shell and one one on the fork decal around the 4130.

could be a Panasonic.

Hi -

Agreed, the Shimano group set is 600 EX - from 1986/7

Its the first range of Shimano proudly displaying SIS - (Shimano Indexing System)

I do need indexed, levers, -.. and the The correct detail =

Shifters: Shimano SL-S434 Light Action. 6 Speed SIS.

SEE PIC ATTACHED....post-2502-0-63481300-1307115063.jpg

I managed to narrow the bikes history back to being Japanese Frame built in 1986/7 -

Due to the whole bicycle being equipped with only shimano - the Shimano 600 - down to the hubs -

The rims and handle bars are also eastern the wheels rims are Japanese...ARAYA - Bronze coloured .

The Handle Bar - Chinese - HSINLUNG - HL - some research shows this company the maker of high end bicycle components..

So - Australian sold Japanese -

Something like this?

post-16550-0-11127000-1307125074.jpg

Saw this in a bikeshop in Den Haag in April. Still kicking myself for not asking if it was for sale. At the time it seemed like too much of a mission to try get it home. Most beautiful roadbike I have ever seen in my life. The pic does not do justice to the paint or the condition.

edit: It was my size too

That frame does it for me too. You certainly deserve a jolly good whack on the side of the head.

good job indeed.... I have the original tools to adjust that headset

post-16550-0-72992300-1307389625.jpg

Edited by MacDaddy

need some help fellows: i need a front campy derailer for a vitus 979, seatpost is a 25mm. sorry im unsure of the derailer clamp size? anyone have one please please.

Hey Guys

Would be interested to hear what you think this bike is worth, I bought it off a fellow hubber who had "modernised" it, I've subsequently converted it back to old school and have spent a lot of time and fair bit of money on it, problem is its a little too small for me, size 56 and I need about a 57/58. Bike is in good to very good condition apart from a couple of nasty scratches on the top tube and rear stay which were inflicted whilst moving it (previous owner) I was not keen to get it resprayed because of the custom work on paint job. Bars, stem (3TTT) & headset (Shimano) are brand new (NOS) that I imported. Grouset is Campag. Bike is mid 90's and the Altain is pretty rare, it columbus tubing (I think its Columbus Brain tubing, just branded Altain for Colnago)

My photo isnt very clear, but here's a link to a site I found with the same bike http://mauisvintage.blogspot.com/2010/04/90s-colnago-altain.html

post-12639-0-30565700-1307438397.jpg

OK Guys, you've got me hooked on this Retro Tread as well.

I have a 1976 DHC Road Bike, bought new in 1976 for R 175,00 which was more than my monthly salary then.

The bike has not done many kilometers (I really were'nt so much into cycling then) and spent some time lately on my indoor trainer.

The last year or two the poor bike was lying waiting to be loaded on a dumper, sold as scrap or whatever.

Fortunately I just could not do it to the poor fella, and lately I started looking at the bike with different eyes - SINGLE SPEED EYES!

So, I have to start somewhere - the wheels are as heavy as hell, and there is some rust present on some minor scratches. Do I have these wheels rechromed? Were they chromed initially?

Some of the spokes also show some rust - do I clean, rechrome or discard them?

The BB will have to be replaced, as well as the tyres etc.

Any LBS on the East Rand you can recommend?

Edited by Agter os

OK Guys, you've got me hooked on this Retro Tread as well.

I have a 1976 DHC Road Bike, bought new in 1976 for R 175,00 which was more than my monthly salary then.

The bike has not done many kilometers (I really were'nt so much into cycling then) and spent some time lately on my indoor trainer.

The last year or two the poor bike was lying waiting to be loaded on a dumper, sold as scrap or whatever.

Fortunately I just could not do it to the poor fella, and lately I started looking at the bike with different eyes - SINGLE SPEED EYES!

So, I have to start somewhere - the wheels are as heavy as hell, and there is some ruct present on some minor scratches. Do I have these wheels rechromed? Werre thet chromed?

Some of the spokes also show some ruct - do I clean rechrome or discard them?

The BB will have to be replaced, as well as the tyres etc.

Any LBS on the East Rand you can recommend?

Try George at Mean Machine in Germiston, he has some retro bits laying around but knows what the stuff is worth so you'll pay a fair bit.