The Downhill Thread

DownhillingKing

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

uurgg.. i think that was an overshare there daniel. we dont wanna know wha tu do with your dawg that's sooo irresistable.. [sick]

tomorrow afternoon sounds good murray. what time?

This might be a stupid question, but what are the main diff between MX and MTB full-face helmets?

I would imagine better cooling and lighter for MTB?

This might be a stupid question' date=' but what are the main diff between MX and MTB full-face helmets?

[/quote']

main difference is the impact ratings. MX have high crash requirements, thus the helmet is built burlier, meaning it get's a bit bigger and heavier. A lot of DHers use MX helmets and the weight and size differences are essentially irrelevant and more of a concern based on personal preference than a conceptual problem.

This is just my opinion, but wrt to cooling, DH helmets can have more vents because the structural integrity requirements are lower than that of an MX helmet.

If i had the do$h, the TLD D3 would be my pride and joy right now. That thing is just so seksi.

yeah, i saw an advert on NSRMTB a while back about a new dealership. but no products are out yet, at least not here in cpt.

BUt i fear the price of the D3. It's already R5k or thereabouts on CRC, and we ALL know they are the cheapest. R6k- R7k here in ZA? Pocket_pinchflat?smiley6.gif

This might be a stupid question' date=' but what are the main diff between MX and MTB full-face helmets?

[/quote']

main difference is the impact ratings. MX have high crash requirements, thus the helmet is built burlier, meaning it get's a bit bigger and heavier. A lot of DHers use MX helmets and the weight and size differences are essentially irrelevant and more of a concern based on personal preference than a conceptual problem.

This is just my opinion, but wrt to cooling, DH helmets can have more vents because the structural integrity requirements are lower than that of an MX helmet.

If i had the do$h, the TLD D3 would be my pride and joy right now. That thing is just so seksi.

Yup! like you originally thought, and like Cap said, weight and ventilation are the main differences.

An average (R1200 off CRC) DH helmet weighs aroung the 1kg mark. But to get a MX helmet that weight... you have to buy something like an Airoh, and those go for about R6 000.

.... some of the overseas guys use standard DH helmets for practice, and then the MX version for races, just for the added protection.

hmm, that D3 is in the ballpark for those light MX helmets you mentioned patches. I wonder if that is so because it's intended to be the cross over product, ie in terms of crash protection is sits right on the dividing line between the two categories of helmet, DH vs MX. I havent checked the crash protection ratings for the D3. Lemme see what google says.

this product blurb from advert (sections in bold seem to back up my assumptions about crash resistance and the number of vents):

?

Troy Lee had no reason to create the D3. Their legendary D2 still set the benchmark for bicycle helmet protection and style, and despite the spate of full-face helmets now available, the D2 was the helmet-you- want-if-someone-else-is-buying. Until now, that is. With the release of the D3, Troy Lee has left all the other helmet manufacturers in the dust. Just a bit heavier than the D2 Carbon, the D3 keeps you safer. Although it's not rated for motorized use, legend has it that it's not the lack of impact resistance that keeps it from getting a DOT rating, it's the vents, which aren't allowed on a DOT-approved helmet. Having one of the few helmets with a real, structural, impact-resistant chinbar should make you feel nice and cozy in your protective skull- cocoon.

source

hmm... very interesting! So it seems that the D3 is definately what you want your head in when taking a tumble.

Here's my steed.

Not exactly DH spec, but so far has managed to place me 3rd overall in KZN DH SVM class.

Am currently busy with another slow build DH spec bike.

http://i515.photobucket.com/albums/t359/mxkid77/DSC02437.jpg

And here's a project myself and a mate are busy with at his farm in the KZN midlands.

Going up to the farm to do some more work over easter, and hopefully we will have a Bobcat to use this time.

20100401_061034_01.jpg

20100401_061129_02.jpg

20100401_061157_03.jpg

20100401_061242_04.jpg

20100401_061322_05.jpg

20100401_061352_06.jpg

20100401_061418_07.jpg

20100401_061500_08.jpg

20100401_061633_09.jpg

20100401_061732_10.jpg

20100401_061807_11.jpg

20100401_061911_12.jpg