The Downhill Thread

DownhillingKing

HeY Cap!

Went to SH2/3 on Sunday. Did a few runs! Tracks coming along! I tried your wooden jump but almost almost bailed hard into the tree below it! The new route youve been building left of the jump loks like it could possibley be a good extension to SH2. It seems to link back up before the other wooden/rocky drop off. I tried to ride it a few times, but the steep soily section into the MINI berm just wasnt working... I wasnt sure what you wee trying? Either a Moto x style back brake slide/drift into it at 90º or ... **** i dunno?

Any way i presumed you were still working on it. so i added a bit to the berm. made the line into it go a little more left, so the turn has a better apex. And dug the berm deeper to make it more solid. Its still a drifty, knee almost to the ground corner, but now you can really huck it through! I find you can really rail it if your confident! I actually went over the bars there, a little to confident, i guess... It then continues towards the main line of SH2, with a little dip/hip and over a tree root into the drop off of SH2. Adds a little more dimension and i think it really works!

The only problem with the extension right now is:

When coming past the North shore jump, its quite difficult to get a good line, whether the drop or the roll in is used. Not sure what to do to make it faster/ funner? I quite like the off camber-ness of it, but taking a foot off just before the drop isnt great.

What are your thoughts/plans Cap?

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

hahaha yeah. that little wooden jump will get you thinking. It's meant to a technical aid to assist with dropping outta corners at lower than normal jump speeds, front wheel down, steep slope. Brilliantly twisted teacher that stepdown :)

As for the secondary route, it's mostly the work of my riding buddy, who is more AM/XC. Again, the steepness into that 'berm' is a deliberate technicality. I've already told mybuddy to make the descent into the berm more to the left, as you've already noticed, you can cut the apex nicely going out wider. The point is a steep descent into a hard corner for a proper G-out. Either you make the turn under duress of a properly compressed front end, or you bail OTB, or worse, fly off the berm. Definitely bars in the dirt type of section. I'm still shoring up the berm with logs, but it's gona take time finding loose logs laying around. Who ever is cutting up the forest, left me two gems, but lugging the first one up was just so assbreaking i'm resting for another week before taking up the 2nd one :P

But the plan is this: as you go over the dip/hip, dont continue straight. go left into that little gully (supposed to huck into it, but careful, the soil is soft and your front might bog down enough for another involuntary dismount OTB-style). After that, it will be some nice offcamber/large bermed turns before snaking off into some northshore style crossings (at least 2 logs to tranverse (XC route), or a nice gap, before a ladder drop of about 1.5m. (<--- secret location under development! :P )

but about that turn you having trouble with: I go left before the berm, aim for the apex,and slide both wheels into the berm. My RHS grip hits the turf on the way down, so yeah :) the G-out is pretty bad if u go fast, so dont say I didnt warn you. :P

i know the above is veyr wordy vaguey, so maybe sometime, we should make a plan to hook up then i can show you... sometihng about a picture and a thousand words.. :P

Yeah! It seems we have totally different schedules! every time im there i can see fresh tracks, i know people(you) are riding and building there... just never see them(you)! EVER... Dont think i can make it this weekend. but maybe next or some time during the week, even if its after work?

Ps, i been using your tools! cant carry anything of mine on the bike from oranjezicht(home) to SH. will make a plan soon!

OH one other thing... I see you were also hitting your wooden jump at an angle and going off course? straight towards some thinnish trees. You planning on cutting them down and making another line?

nope, that was me coming outta the corner too fast and losing my balls on the way to the lip cos the dirt is now dry and loose. felt like i was gonna wash off the lip. i dont fancy that :P

dude:u gonna luv the new line. My ride mate and I were out late last evening scoping the overall descent down. it's gonna be really really nice. :) U wanted fast and flowy? Roger that.

dude: dont stress about the tools. I'm glad if folks chip in. means i less assbreaking for me :P Just super glad the tools are still there!

also, huge thanks from my ride buddy chris. He loves what you did to that little berm on the alternate route. (shall we call it SH2b?, which is funny cos it's still a track to_be_made :P )

Sweet! Looking forward to hitting signals again! the rain should of compressed the berms a bit! Was getting a bit sandy and dry! Any Developments on SH2b? Is the line obvious?

Also,would be cool to build a step up onto that old wall/ledge some where too!

yeah, a step-up has been playing on my mind for a while now, but where i dont know yet. Suggestions?

My ride buddy and I did some extension walking around on the hill the other day to identify exactly where and how we gonna get SH2b progressing. It's gonna require a manmade structure near the bottom to get over other man made structures. So keep your eyes peeled. ;)

Loveme: just note on SH3, when you come off the fire road, and hook that berm to the left, you have that little step down about 10m down: please note: it's not that little anymore. The fresh dirt on the run-in will be the clue. I think it's loads better now. One thing I've failed to do though, is provide a means to roll off it. Currently, you can, but it's a too vertical for rolling off comfortably. Will add another log at the bottom which that should fix it.

oh, i forgot to mention two small changes: right on top of SH2, after my little step down, the path no longer goes straight down. You have to hook a right. It's something track builders call negative sloping, where u change the direction of the track to prevent weather-induced rutting. It makes that section a bit more swoopy and allows you to stay off the brakes. Takes a bit of balls to come off the stepdown, or to round the stepdown, and then nail that right turn. It's kinda steep and sharp. Must still firm it up a bit in terms of turning radius and entry point, then it should be pretty sweet, and give the track between the first two stepdowns some extra character above just white_knuckle_braking.

At the top of SH3 just as u come off the fireroad, a new small berm taking you onto the bigger left hand turn berm, was made this weekend. Should help make the flow in that section better, and reduce the rutting further. But I need a bit more rain to make sure the new berm hardens into a permanent feature.

very nice daneger... very nice indeed!

I've been dreaming about that Faith for a while now! hahaha!

some dude posted up the details for sat and sun. I told alex the other day i was gonna go, but seems i might not make it: blew out my knee, the one that was supposedly fixed for an obscene sum of money. I can ride, only hurts like hell during leg pump, and if the knee goes stiff which it tends to do on a whim, then i cant properly extend the leg to make a proper pedal stroke. Good thing Sunday's race is XC rite? :P

That pedal stroke story almost had me coming horribly short during a practice run this past weekend. Foot slipped off toward the rear. Foot hooked on the ground, and nearly ripped me off the bike. Surfed the seat with my chest, but managed to steer away from the embankment before managing to pull myself back on the bike. I will say this: it was a damn good thing I was going that fast. Any slower and i'm pretty sure the bike woulda wobbled and thrown me off completely.

You rocking up murray? and where's jason? and mitch21? and angus?