The Downhill Thread

DownhillingKing

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

ta craig. I initially was gonna buy the Nukeproof Ti spring off CRC, but there was such a dearth of user feedback/reviews on the spring, I instead with option 2, a DSP Ti-spring.

I've seen many DH'ers (albeit mostly in the USA) talking up Obtainium or Diverse Suspension Products springs. Since Obtainium is almost always out of stock, I went with Diverse.

Went from a 500lb to 450lb spring as I dont think i've used the full travel on my Vivid yet. So far, the it's been pretty good. The rear is more reactive now even though I havent changed anything on the shock in terms of compression damping or rebounding damping etc. As an aside, I still dont understand why peeps moan about the Vivid. It's a brilliant shock.

Just a headsup:i see DSP is selling the Dualer shock with Ti-coil for $399. That's incredible value. Reviews so far have been giving excellent feedback. It's a very worthwhile consideration, but the big glitch is local support.

lol. u chop. i'm gonna remind myself to slap u silly <_< think of the klap as a buddy barspin :P

how u dare u mess with me marzo. sacrilege!

Sup guys.What pedals are you guys riding?Flat or clipped in?I was riding a set o DMR V8's...man those things are awesome, super grippy on your feet...and shins :P But alas I still never got shin guards :PNow I am riding some Crank Brothers Mallet 2's...they pretty rad I must say. I was k@k scared of riding with clips though and it still freaks me out a little.I reckon if I start dirt jumping though I'll swap back to the V8's :DWhat your guys view on pedals then?Anyhoo, just a random question.

flat pedals for medals.. or so rob warner says :P

me, i 'grew up' on flats. Scared shitless of riding clipped in. But i do mull it over every now and then, especially now that I want to ride more XC in the 'off season'. But for the moment when it comes to DH, flats all the way.

in general, i reckon, that even though there are big advantages to climbing with clips, when it comes to the gravity events, the delta between riding clipped-in versus riding flats is minimal, and very much a personal choice. But please watch that vid of that massive crashfest at hte BMX worlds in PMB. Great argument for riding clipped in.. NOT

Does anybody know of someone selling a chainguide/bashring for a 36t 5bolt? It will fit on an older Izimu frame so I will need a BB adapter as well (but that one can get from crc cheap cheap)

are there no more races this year? what about urban assault?

shot...

DH race season is OVAH. Urban Assault is no more. Marco from Action Cycling confirmed yesterday. Totally meh... <_<

but there lotsa tracks out there, and if u hook up with a few guys, i'm sure shuttle days can be arranged.

Sup guys.What pedals are you guys riding?Flat or clipped in?

I use flats.

I'm using a set of Mongoose pedals I found in the bargain bin at a local LBS, they a kinda V8 copy without all the fancy bits.

remind me to slap you.. :P

also, i didnt buy them wheels new. It came off Justin Cope's bike. Rims were in very good condition. Just need to get more UST tires, of which it seems in the DH category, only Maxxis really has more than 1 offering.

The Downhill casing Double Ply tyres set up quite nicely as tubeless. Single ply as well but that's for XC

Have an Ardent 2.4 at the moment on my Sanction (not really DH but good all-rounder)

Quite tru that Flowta: i've noted that the doubleply minion i recently had fitted is holding up pretty well even though it's not UST compatible in the strict sense. I gues the fact it aint the wire bead, but a folding bead helps a lot.

but i bought a UST minion just in case ;) Pity Schwalbe doesnt do a UST lineup just yet. Their DH tires (Dirty Dans and Muddy Marys) kick Wetscreams and Minions square in the teeth.

Does anybody know of someone selling a chainguide/bashring for a 36t 5bolt? It will fit on an older Izimu frame so I will need a BB adapter as well (but that one can get from crc cheap cheap)

are there no more races this year? what about urban assault?

shot...

http://www.csixx.com/

Local Cape Town guys, drop them email and I'm sure they sort you out.

Ahhh nooooo.... In a way im bummbed about UA not happening, but at the same time, i think its cool that Signals will stay "secret"... It is an awesome after work ride... and will be developed to greatness! if only a little slowly..

hey LDF: where u been guvnor? it's been a while hey? :)

we still have to hook up so i can follow you down SH2. I still dont see how you make that corner onto your bit of track. I've been bombing it and there is no way on this blueplanet i can hit that line coming full tilt off that ski jump.

Someone from work decided to give SH2 a go after walking it a few times (XCer). Wowed never to go back after stacking somewhere. They dont wanna say where they stacked, but they mentioned somehting about the track being rocky.

I was there this Sunday afternoon, and it seemed pretty normal :P