Cleaning your camelback

Farm Gate

Any suggestions for the best way to clean out the bladder and tube.

I've noticed mine (particularly the tube) is looking a bit "gungy"Dead, so I'm looking for tips on getting it clean?

Put some diluted Jik in it and leave to soak overnight. If that's too technical give it to your wife. Ouch ouch, OK so do it yourself then!

Agree scrub with camelback brush and diluted Jik, leave overnight then rinse out with plain water next day.

or just put your sticky stuff in your bottle and only keep water in the Camelbak, then it doesn't get all 'gunged up'

Go to your local golf shop and get those plastic golf balls and put them inside the bladder when not in use. Helps with drying and stops the mould from growing. Thats once you have cleaned it Smile 

firefox2009-08-13 05:38:15

Use Milton...it's a product used for cleaning & sterilising baby bottles...so, if it's good for them it must be good for other purposes as well.

Comes in a blue bottle....think you can get it a PnP etc.

Cassie2009-08-13 06:23:30

As for the tube, a tip that I received on this same forum a while ago, was to remove the mouthpiece, take a piece of cloth and fix it on the lead-tipped end of a brake cable and pull it through from the bladder side to the end of the tube. I dipped the cloth in Milton and it sorts out the gingy fungi stuff first time round.

Go to your local golf shop and get those plastic golf balls and put them inside the bladder when not in use. Helps with drying and stops the mould from growing. Thats once you have cleaned it Smile?

This does work well

Go to your local golf shop and get those plastic golf balls and put them inside the bladder when not in use. Helps with drying and stops the mould from growing. Thats once you have cleaned it Smile?

wow, good idea, will try that!

i usually just feed the diluted jikwater through the pipe and out the mouthpiece, and leave it like that for the night, all clear the next day ... make sure the jik is properly rinsed out

Decant all the powerade/energy drink into another bottle, and rinse out with just-boiled water. Slosh it around a bit, then drain through the pipe. Leave to dry with a wooden spoon stuffed inside. Works every time.

Just remember to do it after each ride, or the stuff builds up...

Just leave your balls inside the bag. No need to take them outTongue. You can wash your bag and your balls altogether, giving them a vigorous rub with warm water, sloshing them about with the cap closed. 

I like the idea of the throughpull with the brake cable...Star  

Sportsman Wharehouse has tablets for R40 bucks (still need to get some) that are designed for Hydration packs. Its most likely just instant Milton - costs the same.

Also you get pink bottles of baby bottle sterilising liquid from Toys R Us that should work well.

JIK =Active agent Sodium Hypoclorite 3.5 %

MILTON= Active agent Sodium Hypoclorite 1%

Dilute JIK 1 part to 3 parts water and you have ?the same sterliziing agent as Milton but much cheaper. Add a bit of salt (Sodium Chloride) then you the equivalent of Milton (16.5% sodium chloride).

Also, if you don't have time to wash out the pack, chuck it into the freezer. Then you can either wash it out when you have a chance or when you next go for a ride take it out and refill.