Hard or softtail?

Molifi

So what you are saying money is a factor and what about age?

Ja surely your age comes into. If you old enough to need a hip replacement then get a FS. If you young enough to still ask your parents for money then get a HT

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A similar specced DS would typically set me back R20k more than this HT.  Sorry - no can do! 

Age - Well if you're fit enough to do a 75km marathon race or a 3 day stage race in a decent time on a DS, you'll probably survive it on a HT as well.

Time to get out of the comfort zone!!

I went HT to Full Sus - very full sus, then worked my way back to HT.

I must say I am loving the HT right now, but as Bos says I would really consider a DS bike that weighs what my HT does with rear lockout too.

The efficiency is awesome and I am no slower decending.

i rode Sani last year on the HT so it's good for distance too.

Ja well that helps i am almost in between.I think i will HT cause of the money issue as i am a beginnerConfused

I haven't touched my HT since getting my FS.

It's down to perrsonal preference as previously mentioned.

Its difficult to get objective advice form the shops. I have the same problem as have been looking to upgrade my current HT to a carbon HT but also considering a DS.

I dont think there is a perfect scenario as there are so many factors to consider form age, riding preference and maintenance that ideally you need both. the question of which one to ride will depend on whether you are doing the Sabie Experience or riding Northern farm.

The way I see it is to buy the best you can afford as entry level is never great. This should narrow the options in that if you dont have at least R25k to spend you are probably going to end up wishing you had spent R20k on a high end hard tail versus an entry level DS....just my opinion...

good luck it a tough one.

I rode a giant DS for around 3 years and moved onto a HT. Originally I enjoyed the DS and thought it couldn't get better. When i got the HT it was an Alu weighing in at about 12KG, The ride was good but after using a DS for so long my skills had definitely deteriorated. I think we take different lines with DS as apposed to HT. A HT makes you a better rider.

I now ride a team FLX merida HT and this is the bombs. I did Sabie Experience on alu HT and had no problems. Looking forward to doing it with the FLX.

I would definately go back to the DS when i will be able to afford the 96. Maybe one day when i'm big.

I am also looking at the MERIDA the entry level one for about R6000 is that the FLX? Is it a good buy

FLX is the Carbon. Frame only was around R10 000. Someone in a previous thread mentioned that the FLX was softtail due to the flex on the back end of the frame, I believe it.

Merida in my opinion is best value for money.

Once you go Dual Suspension you wont go back, especially when coming down hill at a speed and the terain is rocky and rigid. If you can see if you can ride a HT and s FS and then decide.

I gues so but for a beginner to mutch money.I am going to buy the merida 100 2010 model for R6000 this weekend from Gego Cape Gate, if i pay cash it is R5700 plus pump,bottle rack,slime and tool kit.What do you think?

Once you go Dual Suspension you wont go back' date=' especially when coming down hill at a speed and the terain is rocky and rigid. If you can see if you can ride a HT and s FS and then decide.[/quote']

not true. There are a few of us that has gone back to HT from FS the past 3-4 months.

I have both, enjoy riding the dual but wont be able to sprint for my usual 999 pos so will  do most races riding my HT.

I currently ride a Merida D3000 flx. The carbon stays does not make such a big difference. I love my bike and if I ever get a DS, I'd not get rid of the HT. For some reason I just can't sell any of my old bikes.

It Really depends on you. I ride a hardtail and love the feel of it. I did the epic on it and was fine. My partner however struggled and spent most of the race standing. He has changed. There is no doubt that a ds is faster over longer bumpier trails. But ones again its the feeling of the hardtail that makes me stick with it.