Hard or softtail?

Molifi

As a number of people have commented, its a personal choice.

I went from a 26" hardtail which I rode for 10 months to a Full Sus XC bike for 2.5 years.

I then bought a 29er singlespeed with a rigid fork and loved it so much that I sold the XC Full Susser and built up a geared 29er Hard Tail.

My weapon of choice now for racing (apart from those odd moments of masochism when I choose the singlespeed) is the HT 29er and I'm just as quick as when I had the Full Susser.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have both, but my HT is a 29er. A 29" HT is a softer ride than a 26" HT. The HT is fun every now and then but full suss is definitely the way to go. Check on the international circuit how many guys are starting to run FS (why not when they weigh 9-odd kgs?)

Only old people ride soft tails.

Mmmm.

I own one hard tail and two full suspension bikes. Using your logic I can only presume that people who ride hard tails only do so because they don't know any better and can't afford a full suspension bike

.Smile

By the way it is not a question of age but a question of experience.

ahhh jagwil' date=' I actually really really like you! Big%20smile
[/quote']

Thank you Dirt*girl. You must be one of the few on the Hub who does.  Wink
jagwil2009-08-27 07:58:37

By the way I rode the hard tail for about 6 years before getting my first full suspension bike. I have tried the hard tail a few times since then. There is absolutely no comparison. I could never go back to the hard tail again.

Full suspension, like hydraulic disk brakes, aluminium frames and tubeless tyres, is the way to go. 

Nobody has given a straight answer so the question remains whitch is better' date='let me put it this way,?if you could only buy one bike?then what would it be?.

[/quote'] five-inch full-sus

?

x2

...and cos we really want to confuse zippo, make it a vpp bike, with a front shock with adjustable travel smiley4.gif

buy it ride it, either you love it or you hate it. if you hate it sell it at a good price to someone on the hub, make their day and put it down to school fees on your part. Start all over again( the circle of life). There is a specific bike out there for everyone, you my just have to do the excercise a few times till you find the one for you.

By the way I rode the hard tail for about 6 years before getting my first full suspension bike. I have tried the hard tail a few times since then. There is absolutely no comparison. I could never go back to the hard tail again.

Full suspension' date=' like hydraulic disk brakes, aluminium frames and tubeless tyres, is the way to go. 
[/quote']

But Jagi, my first bike was a full sus..and I changed to HT...never looking back on my decision...well, not until I'm old off course! Wink

Did i ask for that?NO!But it seems to be clear know if you ve got the money then it will be FSWink

Full suspension' date=' like hydraulic disk brakes, aluminium frames and tubeless tyres, is the way to go. 
[/quote']

But Jagi, my first bike was a full sus..and I changed to HT...never looking back on my decision...well, not until I'm old off course! Wink

Obviously not the RIGHT full suspension bike. Go Marin Mount Vision.

Nobody has given a straight answer so the question remains whitch is better' date='let me put it this way, if you could only buy one bike then what would it be?.

x2

...and cos we really want to confuse zippo, make it a vpp bike, with a front shock with adjustable travel smiley4.gif

Ah Holly, I really thought no one else understood..If Mcguyver had a bike.. he would be on one of these bikes, like Swiss army knifes..

To the rest of you..shalom..peace..happy fighting in the trenchesLOL

[/quote']

Obviously not the RIGHT full suspension bike. Go Marin Mount Vision.

Santa Cruz Blur XC Carbon Big%20smile or BMC Four Stroke 01

Nobody has given a straight answer so the question remains whitch is better' date='let me put it this way, if you could only buy one bike then what would it be?.

If I could only buy one bike I'd be very depressed ... or I'd buy my new surly travelers check, which can run geared or ss, fairly fat tyres or skinny, and it splits in half for plane trips.

Chat to your LBS about riding a loan bike for a week or so. You can then make up your mind if you like it or not.

people people...talk to me about FS bikes, when I am 60...that is a fair deal right?

As long as you are happy mountain biking, I don't care what you ride.

people people...talk to me about FS bikes' date=' when I am 60...that is a fair deal right?

As long as you are happy mountain biking, I don't care what you ride.
[/quote']

Big%20smileClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClap toatlly agree with you.....We sometimes forget why we actually got so hooked

What ever!I am sticking to (origanal decision ) spelling i am a boertjie (MERIDA 100  2010 MODEL

entry level