Tubeless - Is it really worth it???

Zula

Tubeless is definitely the way to go.

The whole UST and not UST issue is quite a grey area. I run a 29er which means finding 29 inch UST tyres is a mission.

I have non UST rims (Velocity) and non UST tyres (Conti Race Kings) and am running a Joes conversion tubeless set up. Getting them seated was easy (I do have a compressor at home). Failing that - drag the wheels off to the petrol station and use their inflators. You only need to do it once to get the tyre seated - after that a hand or foot pump will do.

The biggest advantage of tubeless (other than the self sealing puncture advantage if course!) is being able to run lower pressures without the concern of snake bites. I have never had a burping incident that resulted in me having to stop (and this includes cornering so hard my tyre "rolled" and got some grass got caught between rim and tyre). I lost 0.2 bar  pressure (only found this out after the race).

I run the Velocity Rims/Conti Race Kings at 2 bar and they are super grippy and well comfortable (even on 100km mtb rides).

Everyone has their favourite but I love my Conti Racekings. I would recommend them highly for everything but mud.

Go tubeless - whether converted or fully tubeless - you won't regret it!

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Definitely go tubeless. I had a flat - big spike through my front tyre - recently at the Bundu Bash. The hole was too big to seal with just the sealant so put in a plug, spun the wheel and inflated with a bomb - good as new and fixed in about 2 minutes. For the record I have XT wheels and Nobby Nic tyres with Stans sealant.

Just be prepared to get realy low mileage as I was told they are nice and grippy but you won't get a lot of mileage. I went Nevegal instead.

I have Maxxis CrossMark front and LArsens at the back ... good all rounder and great for practice and race.

And Specialized Storm Pro's with Maxxis High Rollers at the back during races.

On the DH Maxxis Ignitor 2.3 and Minion DHF UST 2.35

Hope it help, but at the end of the day it is a preference of you own. what you feel comfortable and what you believe will give you the edge. Also purpose you wont take muds into the kalahari Tongue

suppose it would depend alot where you are riding with your bike !!

if its mainly on tar with the occasional dirt track then tubless is a waste really but if you do some serious bundu bashing and exploring then tubless is far better option.

just spent the money and bought a crossmark lust for the back wheel and I am at 96kg's.

best tyre out there.

as far as I am concerned its the only tyre out there. The only one I have ever ridden

they talk about setting the tyers with a high presure pump. is this needed?

does the sealent go in through the valve after is has been inflated?

high pressure pump helps but you can seat the tyre with a normal floor pump.

Tubless is worth every cent, Raced in Kimberly at the weekend, I have 23 thorns in my tyres the ones i can actually see and not one flat. The guys say don't pull the thorns out just leave them in. I pulled one out, the tyre leaked and then the sealant kicked in and that was that. left the rest of the thorns in place and tyres are holding at 2,1 bar

Just as a matter of interest....if you try hard enough you can still pinch a tubeless setup.

Was bombing down a fireroad on the Harkerville Red Route....the particuler section runs steep downhill and straight and then flows into an off-camber left where I usually dab the brakes slightly and then use the righthand edge of the road as a berm.

Except....between the ride in question and the one before the road had been graded and a pile of sharp rocks about a foot high was left in the middle of my 'berm'.

Had nowhere to go so hit it at speed and ended up with two holes in the front Kenda Karma 2.2. Not a typical snakebite, but one hole where the tyre meets the rim and another where the tread starts exactly in line with the other hole. Had to stick a tube in it and patched one of the holes on the inside of the tyre when I got home.

As an aside...I'm loving the Karmas. I was raving about the Specialized The Captains before and I do still love those, but these are my new favourite tyres. Compared to the Captains they have slightly more rolling resistence but offer slightly better traction, in a straight line and when cornering and damn right incredible performance in the wet. I don't think I'm any slower in the wet(unless it's really sopping and muddy) than I am in the dry with these.

Hi

I'm still running tubes, and had Nobby Nic front and rear, but with slime in the tubes. When I changed to Nevegals, Each Nobby Nic had at least 35 thorns, although i never had a flat.

My question: what is the real value of going tubeless: It cannot be the puncture resistance, so is it the lower weight, or the lower pressure. If any of the last, does the lower pressure not result in higher rolling resistance?

Hi

I'm still running tubes' date=' and had Nobby Nic front and rear, but with slime in the tubes. When I changed to Nevegals, Each Nobby Nic had at least 35 thorns, although i never had a flat.

My question: what is the real value of going tubeless: It cannot be the puncture resistance, so is it the lower weight, or the lower pressure. If any of the last, does the lower pressure not result in higher rolling resistance?

[/quote']

Definately not!!

This topic has been covered in a PHd study where it was proved that lower pressure actually reduced rolling resistance...weird, but true...

Tubeless JUST fEELS DIFFERENT & FEELS GREAT....all the +tive responses heer and on other sites are not BS!!  

Try it and I'll bet you anything your voice will be added to the chorus...

For me its kinda like, is the R100000 rand pinnarello really worth it? ) haha ...def not! unless you make money out of cycling and no one in RSA are getting rich by riding a bike. Non tubeless is fine and cheaper in lots of ways.

So after creating this thread, I thought it would only be fair to let everyone know how my inevitable conversion went.

Decided to go for the geax saguaro, as the conti's were a lil soft and looked like I was gonna replace them real soon. The bike sho converted my rims with joe's strips, and have'nt had an issue yet. Went riding with them yesterday, and instantly noticed the softer ride. No puncture experiences yet but im sure they will come.