Which shock to buy??

I recently fell off my bike and hurt my fork quite badly.  The insurance said they would replace it.  I have the option of a Recon Sl (coil) or a Toral Solo air XC for about the same price.  The Tora is heavier and lower ranked than the Recon, but the Tora has air.  The Recon sounds a bit more reliable, but I don't know.  Don't really know what to do.

Any help?

Gotta agree with Scoe, although I've never tried the Tora, the Recon is the shock for me at the moment

But isn't the air worth the weight?  Wink

I don't think the Recon's that heavy hey Tongue
Fruitloop2009-09-17 03:35:15

As with car speakers, buy the most expensive pair you can afford. Also, weight is not my primary consideration - does the for work? You'll be riding it for a while, so best make sure it's a comfortable ride.

Broadly speaking, I'd say rather buy a top-end coil/oil fork than an entry-level air.

Absolutely nothing wrong with a recon. Try get a RockShox Reba if you can - just bought my second one.

You should be able to get the Recon air for not much more, try get that. My brother Inlaw bought one for just over R2000 at his LBS a while ago. Im sure the price's has gone up, but the air cant be much more than the spring. Still If you have to get those 2 then take the recon, It has supreme dampning- The rota gets out of its depth on fast rough desends.

That fork is more than enough for most of us.

I have considered the importing' date=' but what about Import taxes? Garuntee on the products? [/quote']

Try find out who on the hub orders things through Chain Reaction Cycles and then ask them what they think of their charges and service etc

I have considered the importing' date=' but what about Import taxes? Garuntee on the products? [/quote']

CRC discussed after this vote for the Recon Coil.

CRC import duties are simple, just received my package from the UK today.

~R4300 paid R694.83 VAT at the post office.

YOu only pay VAT on bike parts, no duty. Clothing has heavy duty.

Ngala24 has a nice post on this. Take the value of the good add 10% and calc VAT @ 14% of the total. Well that is the way I understood Ngala24's post.

Eg. Goods R1000

(R1000+10%)*14%=

~R154.00 VAT

You pay ~R1154.00

I say ~ because my VAT should have been around R664.00, so the calc was R30 out.

On the Recon or Tora bit. As long as you get the correct spring rating for your weight the Recon Coil will be a great buy. Probably less maintenance than an Air fork, more reliable and more responsive. Air shocks are over rated! Just get the right spring!
Daxiet2009-09-17 08:39:00

I have moved from coil to Air and am very happy, I find to be plush compared to coil.

Personal taste at the end of the day I think.