Heart Rate

Help.Me.

Slowbee' date=' not sure what Bos is using but the 305 has all that info. Thats what I have. Not that I knw how to use it properly Big%20smile[/quote']

Clap

do you have an idea of what sort of battery life you get out of the 305?

would it last 24 hrs ?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey SB, definitely not 24 hours from a 305, at NonStop I think we got about 12 ......

Ooops that was for an Edge not Forerunner Embarrassed Helps to read all the thread and not just the last comment!
BigBen2009-09-24 09:48:41

Slowbe I have never used the full time, but I have not used it for a 24 hour race though.. those things are to much pain..

the unit is supposed to last 10 hours

Slowbe Im Using a Garmin forerunner 305' date=' nice cause you can wear it on your arm when running or on bar when riding and the display is nica and big. It cost about R2500 (there was one on the hub this week for R1500!! go look in classifieds.

Help me, I will try help you.. hehe

Ive been riding mtb for 13 years, and Im only now starting to understand what its about (still learning though and  there are lots of guys on here that knows a lot more than I do.

you have to train  Endurance. Long 3 hour plus rides once a weekend.

then theres anarobic zones- "intensity" intervalls and hills.

Intervalls can be for Vo2 max  which are shorter all out efforts. this increases your Vo2max(huh)  then theres "lactic acid threashhold" intervalls which are hard efforts lasting a bit longer. (google how this stuff works its interesting)

and then I guess theres strenth. I do a little bit of running, squats etc and the kloofnek which is 20 mins warmup 10 minutes of hell followed by 20 minutes recovery and then again, 10 minutes up. Its nice cause you cant "spin" this hill, so find a steep one near your house so you have to push hard, kloof is perfect as even if im in big sprocket at the back Its hell (got a compact crank, on Mtb, dont use granny ring) you have to push a hard gear and maintain it for 10 minutes. My heart rate goes up to 95-98% every time.. it is ***...but you get stronger like that. if you dont have a long hill, do hill intervalls.. warm up then see how far up a hill you can go for say 4 minutes. then freewheel back down, repeat, up for 4 minutes.. do 4-5 of these.

[/quote']

that sounds about right for getting up the hill that starts at the lord charles robots here in somerset west Dead

Hey SB' date=' definitely not 24 hours from a 305, at NonStop I think we got about 12 ......

Ooops that was for an Edge not Forerunner Embarrassed Helps to read all the thread and not just the last comment!
[/quote']

LOL

optimised reading time, including a mass of assumtions.

Hows the weather in JHB - you okes braaing ?

LOL

optimised reading time' date=' including a mass of assumtions.

Hows the weather in JHB - you okes braaing ?

[/quote']

Pretty decent, bits of cloud but nothing serious. No braaing today, spent time out with my wife, daughter and grandson Shocked

where do you ride Help me ?

have you looked at any online training forums ?

99% of my riding is done on gravel roads 1% where crossing the tar or to get to the gavel. i stay on a farm. did the zuurberg this morning 75km 750climb. no i haven't read any forums i know i must sit down investigate and then ask what it is all the thec stuff they are talking about ie interval Vox levels etc etc... 

where do you ride Help me ?

have you looked at any online training forums ?

99% of my riding is done on gravel roads 1% where crossing the tar or to get to the gavel. i stay on a farm. did the zuurberg this morning 75km 750climb. no i haven't read any forums i know i must sit down investigate and then ask what it is all the thec stuff they are talking about ie interval Vox levels etc etc... 

Clap

Slowbe Im Using a Garmin forerunner 305' date=' nice cause you can wear it on your arm when running or on bar when riding and the display is nica and big. It cost about R2500 (there was one on the hub this week for R1500!! go look in classifieds.

Help me, I will try help you.. hehe

Ive been riding mtb for 13 years, and Im only now starting to understand what its about (still learning though and  there are lots of guys on here that knows a lot more than I do.

you have to train  Endurance. Long 3 hour plus rides once a weekend.

then theres anarobic zones- "intensity" intervalls and hills.

Intervalls can be for Vo2 max  which are shorter all out efforts. this increases your Vo2max(huh)  then theres "lactic acid threashhold" intervalls which are hard efforts lasting a bit longer. (google how this stuff works its interesting)

and then I guess theres strenth. I do a little bit of running, squats etc and the kloofnek which is 20 mins warmup 10 minutes of hell followed by 20 minutes recovery and then again, 10 minutes up. Its nice cause you cant "spin" this hill, so find a steep one near your house so you have to push hard, kloof is perfect as even if im in big sprocket at the back Its hell (got a compact crank, on Mtb, dont use granny ring) you have to push a hard gear and maintain it for 10 minutes. My heart rate goes up to 95-98% every time.. it is ***...but you get stronger like that. if you dont have a long hill, do hill intervalls.. warm up then see how far up a hill you can go for say 4 minutes. then freewheel back down, repeat, up for 4 minutes.. do 4-5 of these.

[/quote']

that sounds about right for getting up the hill that starts at the lord charles robots here in somerset west Dead

there we go, how steep is that? I know its long but I wonder if its steep enough.. you might have to do the 4minutes hill intervall rather , cause I beleve the secret is "pushing the heavy gear" anyway, you can deside that. It needs only last a hour or a bit more for the whole session. remember to recover inbetween these days.

I drove up kloof nownow after a icecream in campsbay. Its like we have a little thing going on( me and that hill) I know every little steeper section and every turn, its like Daniell sone and Miaggi in karate kidLOL respect at first, and now I have a bit of a "reverence" for it.. if thats the word.Wink

Wild guess. You have been cycling or doing endurance exercise for much longer and more regularly in your life than he has?

Wanted to try kloofnek hill today but tried out  Visserhoek hill , that was steep enough for me. Had to seriously work at itDead

Slowbee you can use the road that goes up to Helderberg College. That will work you over.

Big%20smileBig%20smile

Before you go up that road

Big%20smileBig%20smileBig%20smile

After you've gone up that road

20090924_101736_noname.jpeg

Kloof to cable car is my favourite climb for 8-10min climbing intervals I do that route all the time, after that Kloof to Signal hill is also a cracker but Kloof to Cable rocks.