Cyclists behaving ...... badly!!!!!!

Guest Big H

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yup but too much! But I like the "Staying outside of the door zone; when passing a motor vehicle that is parked parallel to the road, no closer than the width of the door." How often have a seen a cyclist falling because a motorist did not look in the mirror and the cyclist was too close the the parked car?

The "lane sharing" paragraph is going to cause some high blood pressure debate! LOL

Well' date=' what many people here propose at curteous, is actually more dangerous.

A bicycle is a vehicle, behave like one!
[/quote']Yep but even some cyclists on this forum advocate that a tractor has "more rights" to use the road than a cyclist, because we "do it for fun". Unfortunately many, many non-cycling motorists share that sentiment and that is where the major danger to cyclist safety lies.

Just remember one thing: that person out there is a human being on a bicycle' date=' who is most probably on his way home to a wife and kids. Would you like to tell his 5 year old daughter that her daddy is not there anymore cause you would rather try and squeeze by, in stead of braking and being delayed for 10 seconds?

[/quote']

it is a dangerous dangerous road.

if i was the dad with the wife and 5 year old daughter, i would not cycle there.

there must be other places that's safer. and if there's no-where else to ride, then if i was the dad with the wife and daughter, i'd switch to mountainbiking, not because its more fun, but simply because i love my wife & daughter and respect them.

I personally feel car should slow when overtaking cyclist esp those traveling at 120km/h in 60km/h or 80km/h zone. Yup it happens! The speed differential is then just too high and is thus dangerous for the cyclist!

Car should also change their line when over taking a cyclist - yup in turn that means using an indicator which thus gives some warning to motorist behind! Would motorist change their line for a dog? I do for that matter any animal!

icycling - i was there on saturday morning.

i drove at about 40 kays an hour, because after the first few bicycles all over the road, i realised how dangerous it is for them and for me. i am a cyclist and therefore have more patience with bicycles than i'd think non-cyclists. i was not even acknowledged after waiting for forever for the bunch to finish counting, so that i could pass ... there are roadworks at the moment, so very often there is no shoulder.

In that time that i was on that piece of road, i saw 2 trucks coming down from the other side at about 60 kays per hour.

that place is an accident waiting to happen. don't cycle there on your road bike. and don't abuse the motorists who are trying to warn you of the dangers.

cat-i2009-09-28 14:00:17

The "lane sharing" paragraph is going to cause some high blood pressure debate! LOL

The coastal air is really not doing your common sense any good. I would love to see you on the same a lane on the Rooiels road on your vehicular cycle with a 28 wheeled steel behemoth, and then insist on sharing your lane because a bicycle IS A VEHICLE!!!!!!! Silly to say the least!!!!!!

Ultimately I suppose cycling on SA road and staying upright - as a cyclist you have to have a "passive aggressive" behavior style! i.e. staying away from those parked car - which may irritate motorist as you now making them change their line but been closed enough that the motorist does change his line and not hit you. Claiming the piece of the tarmac which is rightfully yours at that moment in time and then defending it if need be - which as a cyclist we hope does not happen!

SwissVan - you so right about Zug and other educated non barbaric societies been a parades for cycling. After 2 days in Zug I even decided it was not necessary to wear a helmet - something I have been wearing while cycling in RSA for at least 20 years - and would not leave home without it! I Suppose it all comes down to crime and the lack of respect many South Africans have for human life and the current crime stats are not doing very well in RSA.

I have to say I really have no tolerance or patience with posts like this.!

What it has to do with the topic is beyond me. To me its just a SA bashing post with absolutely no foundation in the topic.

Please tell me the relationship between crime, crime statistics, and our "barbaric society" and stupid people in large groups riding in the middle of the road.?

SwissVan - you so right about Zug and other educated non barbaric societies been a parades for cycling. After 2 days in Zug I even decided it was not necessary to wear a helmet - something I have been wearing while cycling in RSA for at least 20 years - and would not leave home without it! I Suppose it all comes down to crime and the lack of respect many South Africans have for human life and the current crime stats are not doing very well in RSA.

I have to say I really have no tolerance or patience with posts like this.!

What it has to do with the topic is beyond me. To me its just a SA bashing post with absolutely no foundation in the topic.

Please tell me the relationship between crime' date=' crime statistics, and our "barbaric society" and stupid people in large groups riding in the middle of the road.?

[/quote']

Maybe they are ...... bigots??????

Here we go. I just know I am going to get nailed for this, but what the heck.

1. Ride your bike as if all the cars around you are operated by blind, drunk, psychotic killers with a personal grudge against you.

2. Even if you are right with your lane choice, you could still be dead. This would make for a great epitaph on your tombstone "He was right"

3. If you like somewhere else, go there and be happy.

4. If someone else likes somewhere else, be happy for them that they have a place that makes them happy.

5. If two people keep agreeing on everything, one of them is unnecessary.

I behave badly sometimes when riding to work and back.. like when I hit the foot paths you get some black folk either walking up or down the paths.. then sometimes I'll come up behind them and just go "Wwwwaaaa!!!!" LOL, sh*t they get such a fright

I behave badly sometimes when riding to work and back.. like when I hit the foot paths you get some black folk either walking up or down the paths.. then sometimes I'll come up behind them and just go "Wwwwaaaa!!!!" LOL' date=' sh*t they get such a fright[/quote']

You racist bastard! You better start doing this to white people as well!

I behave badly sometimes when riding to work and back.. like when I hit the foot paths you get some black folk either walking up or down the paths.. then sometimes I'll come up behind them and just go "Wwwwaaaa!!!!" LOL' date=' sh*t they get such a fright[/quote']

You racist bastard! You better start doing this to white people as well!

Come on Loopy, fair is fair.smiley2.gif

ermmm,  you are going to get into trouble fruity.