Northern farms

crasher

I really thought the route today was good lots of tracks I have never ridden or knew about I think the organisers did really well to give us some up and downs on what is a relatively flat section of land and kept the ride interesting It really exceeded my expectationsSmile

First time I have ridden 70 km plus though and boy am I raw Cryneed to get some better shorts or saddle or both because last 25kms were very unpleasant on my delicate regions LOL

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thumbs%20Up It was 100%, it was just very very hot near the end of the race. There is just one thing why do mtb races start so late surely we can start at 7:00 - 7:30 or do I miss something.

Now it is time for the crater cruise

Well I did this ride and guess what no water at the one water table on the70km route, what a joke.

I spoke to  the organiser and he was just plain indifferent to our complaint, and said he resented the fact that I called it irresponsible to not have water for everyone on such a hot  and long ride.

Doubt I will be back next year for this race.Cry

I enjoyed the route, but I do feel a bit ripped off for what I paid and what I got.

No water at a marathon distance event is unacceptable. It wasnt as if it was a logistical nightmare to get water onto the route. There wasn't even a water table at the start finish area after the first lap.

I also raised my concerns about the water to the officials at the end, but was fobbed off and told that it was my responsibility to carry my own water.

Next year I will spend my money at another event as this definitely wasn't good value for money.

Just a question - did anyone see any medics on the route?

YETI5752009-09-27 11:00:08

YETI, that DOES sound like a rip-off... You can have the same experience his coming weekend for R9 or R10 (depending in when you bought you multi-pass card). I'm sure the bunting etc will still be out there this coming weekend....

I think it was a great race, started on time, fun route etc. The water table running out of water as well as the lack of other tables was a definate problem but I found the way that Hammerhed attacked the organiser in front of everyone just plain wrong.

If you dont have lots of medics at an event surely it would be better to have them at the start/finish, after all Northern farms is'nt that big and any part of the route can be reached by vehicle. Trying to get a message to a medic somewhere on the route and then trying to explain where to go will be a nightmare.

I enjoyed it, and will be back as I'm sure they have learned from the water table mistakes. 

I found the way that Hammerhed attacked the organiser in front of everyone just plain wrong.

Yeah, so what did you do about it, just suck it up?

That guy just did not give a Sh*t about the fact that he had poorly organised the race. He would not even get off his comfortable chair to discuss it.

1 water table, Please. What if you run out there is no backup, if you have 2 water tables and on runs out well you can make a plan.

He did not even know that they had run out of water, I spoke to the guy handing out drinks at the finish and he said there was a whole stash of Fast Fuel they did not even use. The water table guy drove to a tap at the top of the next climb and filled his water bottles there but by the time he got back everyone had gone throgh on the second lap.

How difficult it is to make sure there is enough water for everyone, that is like the most basic thing you have to do at any race.

Also that was an MTBSA sanctioned event, meaning it has to comply to certain standards, which it clearly did not. I spoke to the Commissaire and he said he is putting that in his report that there was not enough water, but at the end of the day that means nothing, as next year they will probably be just as short sighted.

I am going to lodge a formal complaint to MTBSA and take it further because this is just plain unacceptable.

They glady took my money and then under delivered and still had the gall to argue with me about the water issue.

Some words to describe the attitude of the organiser: Arrogant, Irresponsible, Indifferent, Negligent, Smug.

It was very hot today maybe 29 degrees the guy I rode with was dying with no water, he blew big time, I shared what little water I had as well as gels and food and he limped home. There was not a tap to be found anywhere. Everyone I rode past took big strain because there was no water, what are the risks in riding in heat with no water, dehydration heat stroke etc.

I am sorry but signing an indemnity does not absolve you from all responsibility, you cannot indemnify against negligence, if someone had had a health issue because of this the organisers were opening themselves for litigation, even though you signed an indemnity.

I saw no medics at all at the race.

So once again, take the money and run seemed to be the order of the day.

I am not going to suck this up, that is why I spoke to the organiser and his utter indifference made me very angry indeed.

He actually swore at me and said "Fu** off", sorry but this is not acceptable.

HammerHed2009-09-27 15:44:12

YETI' date=' that DOES sound like a rip-off... You can have the same experience his coming weekend for R9 or R10 (depending in when you bought you multi-pass card). I'm sure the bunting etc will still be out there this coming weekend....
[/quote']

Agree, rather ride the next weekwend when there are no races at N.F...At least you don't get the bottle necks when you not riding in a race there.

I enjoyed the route' date=' but I do feel a bit ripped off for what I paid and what I got.

No water at a marathon distance event is unacceptable. It wasnt as if it was a logistical nightmare to get water onto the route. There wasn't even a water table at the start finish area after the first lap.

I also raised my concerns about the water to the officials at the end, but was fobbed off and told that it was my responsibility to carry my own water.

Next year I will spend my money at another event as this definitely wasn't good value for money.

Just a question - did anyone see any medics on the route?

[/quote']

Those medics were superbClap, they carried water to and from their base, these guys realised that there were trouble with water and acted quickly, when they assisted me with my injury they had water with them and offered water to riders that passed us. I also think its insane to have no water or to run out, some of the elite riders don?t take a lot of water with them and rely on water point, if it our responsibility to carry water then rather say there are no water point on route. <?: prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

I've stopped counting the amount of times a race ran out of water, it even happened at Epic the one year on day seven when we had a 150 k. stage.

It happens, such is life.

I've stopped counting the amount of times a race ran out of water' date=' it even happened at Epic the one year on day seven when we had a 150 k. stage.
It happens, such is life.[/quote']

You're right. It does happen. But that doesn't mean it's right or that we aren't entitled to complain about it. 

I think it was a great race' date=' started on time, fun route etc. The water table running out of water as well as the lack of other tables was a definate problem but I found the way that Hammerhed attacked the organiser in front of everyone just plain wrong.

If you dont have lots of medics at an event surely it would be better to have them at the start/finish, after all Northern farms is'nt that big and any part of the route can be reached by vehicle. Trying to get a message to a medic somewhere on the route and then trying to explain where to go will be a nightmare.

I enjoyed it, and will be back as I'm sure they have learned from the water table mistakes. 
[/quote']

Hey OPC, I crashed my P**s off and and ambulance driver rode straight on by whistling like nothing had happened.

I've stopped counting the amount of times a race ran out of water' date=' it even happened at Epic the one year on day seven when we had a 150 k. stage. It happens, such is life.[/quote']

?

You're right. It does happen. But that doesn't mean it's right or that we aren't entitled to complain about it.?

Yip, but take note, that is not what i said or tried to imply, but this is not the first time and it won't be the last time.

I will never forget the race out at the Monument very late 90's, the race organizer had the attitude that "all mountain bikers should have a camelback"

Hey OPC' date=' I crashed my P**s off and and ambulance driver rode straight on by whistling like nothing had happened.
[/quote']

Why you complaining? Our ambulance driver (Scott 24) could not have helped you, if you fell your P**s off then surely you needed a gynicologist?! LOL

I think that maybe the 24 hour race at NF set the bar so high that every race thereafter fails in comparison, or it could be that this race was badly organised.

I just checked out the results, and I was in the top 30% of the field and dehydrated. I feel sorry for the guys who were riding north of 4 hours.