Garmin Edge 305 SUCKS!

Tankman

Tank nice website will have to start saving.

Thanks DT!

youll start saving immediately ...  like so

Lets say your water consumtion is:

35% for irrigation

55% (33%grey and 32%black water) 

10% drinking and cooking

You

have already paid for the 33% grey water that you are still sending

back down the drain, why not use that in your garden? And save 33%

instantly?

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Tank nice website will have to start saving.

Thanks DT!

youll start saving immediately ...  like so

Lets say your water consumtion is:
35% for irrigation
55% (33%grey and 32%black water) 
10% drinking and cooking

You have already paid for the 33% grey water that you are still sending back down the drain' date=' why not use that in your garden? And save 33% instantly?
[/quote']

Ah you make a good point do you have a contact in PE?

Yes we do, Franchise in P.E. will be up and running in a week or two.  Send me your details and I will forward to them.

You think that makes sense, look at this:

Add a rainwater harvesting system (rainwater for bathing, showering, toilet flushing, pool, laundry and irrigation) to  the above scenario and all you

will require from the municipality is the 10% for drinking/cooking

water!

Tankman2009-12-03 02:18:24

• 3 weeks later...
In your dreams.  Avnic maintain that it is the policy of Garmin international that they will only replace a 305 with a 305.  Even if you are willing to pay in extra for a 705' date=' they will not do it.  You have to take the 305, sell it privately and then buy a 705!  [/quote']

I guess you were wrongBig%20smile dude. Should be getting my 705 before krismis.

In your dreams.  Avnic maintain that it is the policy of Garmin international that they will only replace a 305 with a 305.  Even if you are willing to pay in extra for a 705' date=' they will not do it.  You have to take the 305, sell it privately and then buy a 705!  [/quote']

I guess you were wrongBig%20smile dude. Should be getting my 705 before krismis.

How did you manage that?  I have tried crying, asking, begging, questioning, negotiating, blogging, started a hub tread, tried Garmin U.S, kicked & screamed a bit, pleaded, cried some more and up to now nothing has worked.

Avnic is not budging and all I keep getting is a new (broken) 305.

I have started the negotiations with Avnic when I started this thread in Oct, and still havent gotten anywhere.  (more about that next year, they closed now)

They including Garmin U.S just doesnt seem to care much about the little guy (like us complaining here) creating a bit of bad publicity.  They sell more of these broken units than they care to tell us about and they do so without feeling guilty about it either.

How did you manage that?  I have tried crying, asking, begging, questioning, negotiating, blogging, started a hub tread, tried Garmin U.S, kicked & screamed a bit, pleaded, cried some more and up to now nothing has worked.

I have started the negotiations with Avnic when I started this thread in Oct, and still havent gotten anywhere.  (more about that next year, they closed now)
They including Garmin U.S just doesnt seem to care much about the little guy (like us complaining here) creating a bit of bad publicity.  They sell more of these broken units than they care to tell us about and they do so without feeling guilty about it either.

I have also confirmed this previously on this thread (page 7, 27 November 2009) that this is true. Right next to my keyboard is the invoice for a total of R2508.00 which I paid for an "Out of Warranty Replacement" for my Edge 305 which I sent in. I did an EFT into their account, and 2 days later a whole new Edge 705 bundle (Cadence + Heart rate monitor included) was delivered via courier right to my doorstep.

• 4 weeks later...

had the same experience. My 305 bombed out and was out of warranty by a month. They offered to replace it under warranty or i could upgrade to 705 for R1900.

I took that option jst before the cape thing in 2008 and it arrived the day before i had to leave to knysna.

The staff at Avnic have been pretty fair and the lady who managed the office is HOt HOT HOT

Must say that I will not be going the 305 route after bad experience many other have. I cannot afford a 705 so why should I buy a 305, wait for it break, send it in and hope I can then upgrade to a 705!

Personally I will be going the Polar route. They too give problems but not a single hubber has complained about the agents service - except those that bought from an online store (in all fairness thats acceptable).

(Also remember someone posting that one can buy a Polar from a store overseas and warranty is valid here. Your just not allowed to have it posted to you from the LBS)

cbrunsdon2010-01-14 02:26:18

In fairness, I received my Edge 305 under a out of warranty replacement towards the end of last year (2009).  I had to pay in R900 and despite my protestations was not offered the option of upgrading to the 705. 

To date (touch wood), the replacement 305 has performed flawlessly and I am once again in love with the unit.  It really is a complete HRM, tracking and navigation (with the right tweaks) device.  I don't think Polar is the solution.  I had untold grief with a Polar 510 which was returned to Polar on countless occassions and which I eventually sold.  Eventually Polar replaced the internals with a 520, but kept the 510 external casing.  I was never happy with that unit and bought the Garmin 305 in 2006.  Given my experienc, Polar stinks! 

I have tried using the Nokia N79 tied to a Polar transmitter and Sports Tracker software.  Its pretty good, but, does not come close to the Garmin in terms of simple and robust functionality. 

If budget is your problem, take a look at the new Garmin Edge 500.  In a CyclingNews.com readers poll it came second (to the new XX group) as the best new cycling product.  It is cheaper than the 305 and you can link it to a power meter through ANT.  It also has a barometric altimeter which can solve some of the problems in races such as the Epic where GPS tracking is banned (a nonsense ban in the first place). 

the first question to ask is why you want a gps system in the first place.

personally they are nice to have, but actually not needed.

Slowbee, you're either a road rider and / or you are unable to grasp the benefits of GPS.  Even if you're a road rider take note of the following:

1)  With the Edge, you can digitize a route you would like to follow using Google Earth.  Convert the KML file into a course and upload it to your Edge device.  Bingo, you have a course which you can follow.

2)  You can create virtual training partners and race against them

3)  Even if you're a road rider who knows where his going, consider the following.  With a Polar device how do you know where you are reaching your maximum heart rate.  With a GPS based device you know exactly where you are at a particular heart rate and what sort of slope you're on.  This has massive implications for understanding your training performance.  Ie - at what point up a climb am I reaching my Lactate Threshold. 

4)  Even Polar has started to incorporate GPS into their instruments  

And with the Edge 500 you can link up a Power Meter.  Now you know exactly where you are generating a particular level of Power.  Knowing your posistion, heart rate and power at any given point in time must be the ultimate training aid!