Don't s'pose anyone has a view on this?

Thyolo

Politics and sport don?t mix, it is about time <?:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" />South Africaon> realizes this and stops blaming the past for everything, in other words harden the F@#$ up and move on. On Friday the All Blacks will be announcing their 2007 squad, then the selectors will have about 48 reasons why mediocre players shouldn?t be in the Springbok team, and they are All Black.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sporting bodies should also start talking up and stop rolling around to the political tune.

In all major sporting countries, the sport bodies are completely autonomous (independant of political will) and act on their own, in the best interests of the sport. They do not tolerate political intervention and say so.

I think we must learn the lessons from the last world cup and make sure we're going with a spinner for this one.

smiley5.gif

In all major sporting countries' date=' the sport bodies are completely autonomous (independant of political will) and act on their own, in the best interests of the sport. They do not tolerate political intervention and say so.

[/quote']

really? So why did the australian government just step in and ban a cricket tour to zim?

I think we must learn the lessons from the last world cup and make sure we're going with a spinner for this one.

smiley5.gif

LOL I think there's enough "spin" doctors in the team already.

smiley5.gif

LOL I think there's enough "spin" doctors in the team already.

looks like we're going into this one in a tail"spin".

In all major sporting countries' date=' the sport bodies are completely autonomous (independant of political will) and act on their own, in the best interests of the sport. They do not tolerate political intervention and say so.

[/quote']

really? So why did the australian government just step in and ban a cricket tour to zim?

because they are a government who are concerned about their teams/sportspeople safety(and performance). And they look after their athletes.

Sport and politics shouldn't mix, but when selectors act like a bunch of buttmonkeys and select players who should clearly not be there steps must be taken. 

Regardless of who I feel must be in or out of the team, something is clearly wrong with rugby. With the number of players in SA, we should dominate World rugby, yet we're lagging behind NZ and Aus. Clearly the problem doesn't lie with our players but the coaching, administration and structures behind them. 

WTF' date=' Luke watson is as black as I am???!!!

More worrying is the omission of D. Hougaard. How are we going to win the world cup without an exceptional kicker??

And if we aren't planning to win it why be bothered?
[/quote']

Or the inclusion of Ashwin Willemse who hasn't played a game in anger for over 2 years? Now that makes perfect sense Sir Jake!!!!. As Geoffrey Boycott once said about cricket in this country "If McGrath was South African you would find a reason not to pick him!!"

But hell we get upset and throw toys out the cot when players leave to represent other countries!!!!!
Delgado2007-05-15 06:54:43

We should leave Luke out of this, discussing his merit to play should be an entirley different thread....Mr Rasoooool and those stupid comments are what this BS is about.              

I always believed that adding different cultures into sport should be done from the bottom up and not the top down. This takes longer but the results are better.

Sporting bodies should also start talking up and stop rolling around to the political tune.

[/quote']

Not exactly true.  The Australians just banned the Australian team from touring Zimbabwe.  That is entirely to do with political pressure.

Sport and politics will always be intertwined, particularly in a country like ours where sport was used to bring change from 1992.  Without the readmittance of South African teams into the international arena, this country would still have a white nationalist government and probably be in a state of civil war.

On Luke Watson, I can't say I care either way.  He is good, not great and would probably be a good Springbok as are about 10 other current loose forwards.

[/quote']

Not exactly true.  The Australians just banned the Australian team from touring Zimbabwe.  That is entirely to do with political pressure.

Sport and politics will always be intertwined, particularly in a country like ours where sport was used to bring change from 1992.  Without the readmittance of South African teams into the international arena, this country would still have a white nationalist government and probably be in a state of civil war.

On Luke Watson, I can't say I care either way.  He is good, not great and would probably be a good Springbok as are about 10 other current loose forwards.

you're right: the government made it very easy for the money-grabbers - the administrators - by offering to paid any fines levied for not playing.

I suppose better this than have their passports confiscated as some clown recently proposed.

I suppose better this than have their passports confiscated as some clown recently proposed.

the way things are going, jake white's gonna have his passport taken away from himConfused

Coaches have always picked their favourites - Look no further than mallet dropping Gary Teichman to make way for skinstad.

E1A1042007-05-15 07:22:55