Chain and cassette compatibility

Honkdonk

So its time for some new bits and pieces and I was wondering about the mix of chain and cassette - Mountain bike

Is a HG 93 a good combo with a HG 80 (SLX) cassette?

I have a SLX crankset and XT shadow rear der.

as long as the speed (8, 9 or 10spd) are the same you can use anything from any brand. A HG93 chain is quite high up. I personally would not go higher then HG 73. Remember to get a quicklink aswell.

What is the difference between HG 93 and the HG 73?

Other than the most obvious thing - price?

Durability?

Better shifting?

Strength?

What is the difference between HG 93 and the HG 73?

Other than the most obvious thing - price?
Durability?
Better shifting?
Strength?

I am using HG 73 with no problems , got 3 chains that i change every month have done +- 4600km on the 3 and they are still well in spec and my cassette and chain rings are still looking good.

Bought new stuff just to fill CRC order....  

I think the 73 is not plated like the 93 and some rust will appear. It's only cosmetic and does not affect performance. It is a little bit heavier. Being heavier it is stronger. Shifting is the same. The 73 is cheaper then the 93. On CRC there is GBP5 between the two. That is proberbly R60-R90 here in SA.

I think the 73 is not plated like the 93 and some rust will appear. It's only cosmetic and does not affect performance. It is a little bit heavier. Being heavier it is stronger. Shifting is the same. The 73 is cheaper then the 93. On CRC there is GBP5 between the two. That is proberbly R60-R90 here in SA.

What he said and

HG73 is sort of LX level

GH93 is sort of XT level

with 15000+ posts mampara knows what he is talking about.

that is a perfectly correct answer. used both and like the 93 because it looks better 4 longer.

with 15000+ posts mampara knows what he is talking about.

smiley9.gif 99% of that is actually BS. The other 2% I copy and paste what JB said.

PS: I'm terrible at maths aswell.

Hmmmm..... I disagree.

These chains are all made from the same steel and as you say, the prettyness factor increases as you go up the range. As for the weight difference, unless the one has cut-outs in the side plates or hollow pins, it will weigh the same (given a few milligrams for the difference in weight from the finish itself). Same steel, same die = same weight, durability and strength.

Hmmmm..... I disagree.

These chains are all made from the same steel and as you say' date=' the prettyness factor increases as you go up the range. As for the weight difference, unless the one has cut-outs in the side plates or hollow pins, it will weigh the same (given a few milligrams for the difference in weight from the finish itself). Same steel, same die = same weight, durability and strength.

[/quote']

So basically then,  the only difference is the price?

Today, on CRC the 73 is R173 ex shipping, VAT etc and the 93 is R190 odd ex all the rest

Locally I got prices ranging from R140 - R250 for the 73 and R250 - R350 for the 93. all over the phone and from places where I know I can go and haggle for a better deal

I read on a site somewhere that Shimano 9 speed chains are "Super Narrow" thus a Shimano chain on a SRAM Cassette may induce some shifting issues? XTC12009-10-23 01:15:46

Where is the HG73 R140?
Yes please tell us for future bussiness??

Sorry, my mistake. That was in the CRC column in my spreadsheet.

I did a quick check with CRC, Solomons, CWC, Cajees

Guess who came up trumps?