Novice ordeal, Name and shame the club!!

nyathi

I started the thread and have been following it closely, I agree there is ALWAYS three side's to a story ( yours, mine and the truth). Fact of the matter is that the lady was left behind and there was no concern or assistance, not even from the support vehicle!

It's CRAP and no excuses! 

By Puncture Girl......

I can tell you with 100% certainty that I have no interest in racing but that shouldn't mean that I cannot join a club and do something that I love!!!  And if certain clubs do not want to take on the recreational/fun rider then they should make that clear up front!!!

DITTO!  Clap
nyathi2009-10-30 07:13:11

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Michelle

I am glad you had a good experience with the Club 100 lady

You are correct in saying that not everyone that joins a club wants to be a racer. That is why clubs cater for different abilities and needs.

It is very daunting to pitch up to a ride and not know anyone, etc.....

I belive there are no bad clubs, just crappy people with nad attitudes that make the club looks bad. Every club has them, but fortunately the friendly, welcoming type usually outnumber the @ssholes

enjoy your riding - even if its for the "wrong" club 

You guys and girls get worked up so easily on a Friday.  LOVE IT!!  LOLLOL

They do??  Nobody told me that. 

Let me see' date=' why do I cycle??

1.  To have fun (sorry if that upsets you) Not upsetting....it is the "funrider that is upset that sent a mail to bicycling.

2.  To get out and ENJOY myself (so sorry if that upset you) Everyone wants to have fun....to some that means riding at 15km/h....to some fun in going down a cliff with no breaks.....to some fun is game watching on a MTB....to some it is to "race" your local clubbies at 40km/h...

3.  To get fit, oh, and have FUN (sorry if this upsets some)

Not upsetting I think.....just figure out what your fun is and do it.......Clap

so tell me this - why DOES it always have to be about who is riding the best, winning and and and.........ConfusedConfusedConfused 

It is called testosterone.  Men have a lot of it.  Some men more than others (Floyd?).....some woman has some minuscule amount in them (Caster?).

I can tell you with 100% certainty that I have no interest in racing but that shouldn't mean that I cannot join a club and do something that I love!!! 

VERY TRUE!  But what it DOES mean is you have to choose a club that has the SAME interest/definition of "fun" as you.....if they like going at 45km/h avg and it is not for you.....don't join.....

And if certain clubs do not want to take on the recreational/fun rider then they should make that clear up front!!!  Agreed!  Clap

[/quote']

They should really have seperate touring clubs and racing clubs in SA.  That way you know what you are getting into and everyone has fun.  The problem is that every funrider wants to be a racer and this causes the problem.  Join a club who wants to have fun.

1.  To have fun (sorry if that upsets you)

2.  To get out and ENJOY myself (so sorry if that upset you)

so tell me this - why DOES it always have to be about who is riding the best, winning and and and.........ConfusedConfusedConfused 

I can tell you with 100% certainty that I have no interest in racing but that shouldn't mean that I cannot join a club and do something that I love!!!  And if certain clubs do not want to take on the recreational/fun rider then they should make that clear up front!!!

[/quote']

Puncture girl, you got me wrong!  I mean the guys with the 'mean attitude' in those clubs all want to be racers!!!

I am commenting out of experience here in Holland.  Here you get loads of touring clubs here with the aim of just riding for fun.  They do organised (untimed!) rides and have members of all ages, but mostly older and up to their 80's in some instances!  The guys who fancy themselves as racers join the hardcore clubs.  Unfortunately that line is blurred in SA and that is what I meant.  There should be clubs/groups dedicated to just riding for FUN.

Damn that is why I so enjoy MTB'ing. My boet and I an just hit the bush and not have to worry about keeping up with anyone. Dirty Twin2009-10-31 03:10:30

Damn that is why I so enjoy MTB'ing. My boet and I an just hit the bush and not have to worry about keeping up with anyone.

ClapClapClapClapClap

Structured club rides should have advertised "no drop" rides to encourage beginners. But as so accurately pointed out, most club riders are only interested in winning the training rides to demonstrate their "massiveness" so structure never lasts.

Pity that the lady had such an unacceptable introduction to our sport. There are simply no excuses. If there was no-one prepared to sacrifice something to keep her company, that club should be ashamed of itself, and that includes everyone riding in their kit.

They should really have seperate touring clubs and racing clubs in SA.  That way you know what you are getting into and everyone has fun.  The problem is that every funrider wants to be a racer and this causes the problem.  Join a club who wants to have fun.

[/quote']

Puncture girl, you got me wrong!  I mean the guys with the 'mean attitude' in those clubs all want to be racers!!!

I am commenting out of experience here in Holland.  Here you get loads of touring clubs here with the aim of just riding for fun.  They do organised (untimed!) rides and have members of all ages, but mostly older and up to their 80's in some instances!  The guys who fancy themselves as racers join the hardcore clubs.  Unfortunately that line is blurred in SA and that is what I meant.  There should be clubs/groups dedicated to just riding for FUN.

Thanks for clarifying and I apologise for ripping into you.

to demonstrate their "massiveness" so structure never lasts.

It's "AWESOMENESS"......not MASSIVENESS......know your movies man!  AngryTongueBig%20smile

OK.

Hat.

Coat.

Enough biting for one day.

Now for some nibbling.Clap

boo hoo fricken hoo..... so, she had a bad day on the bike.. i'v had hundreds.......

she rode with the wrong group by mistake.. she is forgiven...

the only problem with the situation was that the following car drove past her, they should have picked her up....

[/quote']

Thanks for clarifying and I apologise for ripping into you.

No, don't apologise, that's what forums like these are for.  It's good to vent the anger!  Just remember that just because someone sits on a saddle and pedals in cicrcles, it doesn't make them all think and act the same.  Some people are idiots even before they get on a bike!

Try to find like minded people before joining them for a ride 

boo hoo fricken hoo..... so' date=' she had a bad day on the bike.. i'v had hundreds.......

the only problem with the situation was that the following car drove past her, they should have picked her up....

[/quote']

With that attitude, I hope you have a few more bad days!

I am commenting out of experience here in Holland.  Here you get loads of touring clubs here with the aim of just riding for fun.  They do organised (untimed!) rides and have members of all ages' date=' but mostly older and up to their 80's in some instances!  The guys who fancy themselves as racers join the hardcore clubs.  Unfortunately that line is blurred in SA and that is what I meant.  There should be clubs/groups dedicated to just riding for FUN.

[/quote']

This is a generic SA thing.  You wanna play some squash?  Join a league.  Same for indoor soccer or anything else.

It's also exacerbated with the CSA race license thing for mass-participation rides like the 94.7.  Do the guys in group ZZ really need a CSA license?

It's also ironic that 90% of the club racers in SA would get a rather rude awakening if they join a race in Holland (or Belgium.)

boo hoo fricken hoo..... so' date=' she had a bad day on the bike.. i'v had hundreds.......

[/quote']

ShockedShockedShockedShockedShocked

I am commenting out of experience here in Holland.  Here you get loads of touring clubs here with the aim of just riding for fun.  They do organised (untimed!) rides and have members of all ages' date=' but mostly older and up to their 80's in some instances!  The guys who fancy themselves as racers join the hardcore clubs.  Unfortunately that line is blurred in SA and that is what I meant.  There should be clubs/groups dedicated to just riding for FUN.

[/quote']

This is a generic SA thing.  You wanna play some squash?  Join a league.  Same for indoor soccer or anything else.

It's also exacerbated with the CSA race license thing for mass-participation rides like the 94.7.  Do the guys in group ZZ really need a CSA license?

It's also ironic that 90% of the club racers in SA would get a rather rude awakening if they join a race in Holland (or Belgium.)

Indeed, I was so rudely awakend I am still having trouble sleeping!!  In fact, I miss the tranquil group ride around Killarney on Wednesday afternoons a lot.  At least there I was allowed to finish...

what we do is... put the hammer down' date=' flat out, straight away, and the group is soon sorted into A,B,C,D......E............F pretty quickly!!!!

No.. joking... but i do think new comers to a group should introduce themselves and talk at the start... what often happens is they arrive, dont say anything, and join the ride!! and now the club are responsible for them??!!![/quote']

yes, everyone is comfortable when they brand new to a club and just go Hi , I'm am bla bla bla and I want to cycle. Yes, you do get the bigmouths who do that, but most normal people arrive, and are too shy to just go and hi , ....