Novice ordeal, Name and shame the club!!

nyathi

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

While training at the Kyalami Race Track a few weeks ago, Angie from Club100 pulled in next to me.  With being a complete novice with my 'dikwiele' the thought of joining a club scared the bejeeeeesus out of me.  I got brave and started chatting with Angie.  WOW!!  is all I can say.  Today I am proud to say that I have signed up with Club100 - Angie is such an amazing and down to earth person.  Same goes for other members I have brieflly met.  She didn't treat me like an idiot but answered every question I threw at her without making me feel like a lesser human being.  From riding the 94.7 alone, I will now be riding with Angie and other peeps raising funds for the Sunflower Fund.

No cyclist should ever be made to go through what this person did in the article.  We all have to start somewhere.

In the short 3 and a bit months that I have been cycling - I have made friends, joined a club and am now the owner of a Road Bike (which I'm too chicken to use in the big race....LOL) Hey, it took me about 3 months just to get used to my MTB......

Michelle

p.s.  crossing fingers that it wasn't a Club100 ride being discussed in the article.  Feeling confident that it wasn't.

Puncture Girl2009-10-30 04:33:21

I think I have a pretty good idea of who the club is......

If I am correct, this club has groups A, B and C.

Should you not be able to keep up, you should ride with a slower group.....NO mercy.  Big%20smile

I think I know what club is being mentioned in that article...

I get random Sms's from them weekly and dont even stay in that city or province...

That's the price you pay for riding a raleigh smiley2.gif

Just kidding!! Sounds like a horrible experience indeed.

You've chosen the best club Puncture Girl! Angie is super duper awesome...

It is people like these that make or break a lot of us. Well done to Angie who has obviously made a very positive impact on Puncture Girl. Angie is the kind of person who grows the sport because of her interest in cycling as a sport.

To the guys who treated a new cyclist like Rina was treated is diabolical. I will bet they all had a good giggle at the newbie with the crap kit (if the kit was crap anyway) compared to their lofty standards.

I would love to find out who this was - perhaps we can try another sport that I used to partake in and see how the tjop looks in a ring with two swollen eyes. Perhaps I can then also look him up and down and leave him there to fend for himself.

Breathe Gasping, breathe deeply and slowly..............

with all due respect I can see the clubs point.  If they say that a avr of lets say 25 will be maintained and someone rides at below 20 surely they can wait for him/her?  It is you duty to make sure you join a group that is fairly equally skilled especially if they tell you upfront what the speeds are.  Am I being to harse? 

I started cycling about 3 months ago , and yes I am cycling alone every weekend and am afraid to join a club or group ride with the fear of the same happening to me. I'd rather sukkel on my own on a route I know than get left behind on a route I don't , I'd rather try to keep up with myself than with some oaks who average 30km's a hour on their ride ... my 2c Smile

perhaps we can try another sport that I used to partake in and see how the tjop looks in a ring with two swollen eyes. Perhaps I can then also look him up and down and leave him there to fend for himself.

Breathe Gasping' date=' breathe deeply and slowly..............
[/quote']

Dude.......

If I am a feather weight, I don't go round and piss on the heavyweight's shoes......that will be stupid yes?  Big%20smile

You want to join a group......start out with a group that will help you as a new guy/girl.....

with all due respect I can see the clubs point.  If they say that a avr of lets say 25 will be maintained and someone rides at below 20 surely they can wait for him/her?  It is you duty to make sure you join a group that is fairly equally skilled especially if they tell you upfront what the speeds are.  Am I being to harse? 

ClapClap

Group A......join the ride if you know what dying on the bike feels like

Group B......join if you know how to breath through your ears

Group C......join if you start out.

Rocket science?

The reason why I am so anal about this is that new cyclists join the fast, groups, have a bad experience and then gets put off cycling all together.....BAD FOR THE SPORT......

with all due respect I can see the clubs point.? If they say that a avr of lets say 25 will be maintained and someone rides at below 20 surely they can wait for him/her?? It is you duty to make sure you join a group that is fairly equally skilled especially if they tell you upfront what the speeds are.? Am I being to harse??

I dunno FF, if the ride is "advertised" as 25 and they ride 30, and don't bother waiting for anyone who falls behind, that's bad form. The author doesn't mention anything about the speed of being mentioned, so I guess we can't say much from that perspective.

I had an almost identical experience a few years back. I met the crowd that ride from VA in Bedfordview one Saturday morning. They said they'd be doing about 90kms at around 30km/h.

Well, after doing 72kms in the first 2 hours (that's not 30km/h), I started falling behind on a gradual climb. I swear one of the group even looked back and saw me do this, but that was the last time I saw them. I was somewhere out past Bredel on the way to Irene, an area I knew very little about.

I made my way back home, absolutely shattered (physically and emotionally, just like the writer of the article). I eventually did 114km, and after 36kph for the first 2 hours, I took another 3 hours to do the next 40kms.

I learned afterwards that the group I was riding with (one of them had one of those Colnago Ferrari bikes) was notorious for not being very accommodating to outsiders. Oh well, live and learn.

Lesson learned - ride with people you know, or know of. Unless, of course, you have the skill/ability to handle anything that gets dished out to you.

So she hooks up with a club for her first ride out. She's excited and raring to go. She hasn't ridden a lot and probably isn't sure as to what constitutes A group or B group, at this point it's probably even fair to say she probably doesn't even know that there are different groups. So now instead of someone from within the group coming out and explaining to her how things work in a really nice way (was it too hard too explain? the words too big?), she gets treated terribly and has now lost interest in this sport. And people support the club!? This is what's wrong with this sport.

Dude.......

If I am a feather weight' date=' I don't go round and piss on the heavyweight's shoes......that will be stupid yes?  Big%20smile

You want to join a group......start out with a group that will help you as a new guy/girl.....

[/quote']

Spider Person, I don't recommend peeing on anyone's shoes. The point I was trying to make is that there will always be beginners in anything that you do; sport, hobbies, work, etc.

Why do people feel good by putting beginners down? It would be comparable to slapping a 13 year old schoolgirl and then feeling very strong.

She did mention the backup vehicle drove past her, so even if she started in the wrong group they should have assisted or informed the ride captain (i assume there was one) about her.

I also think i know this club, wont mention there name. But the reward is great when you compleate the route alone and are able to meet up with them before there coffie is coldBig%20smile

Is this the club that think 30km/h average mean you do 30km/h on the uphill drag?Big%20smile