New MTB - Help

Ratty

That's ridiculous....did you guys finish the ride or head back?

Stan's is really not as complicated/messy as it seems. Initial installation will be slightly messy....easy once you get the hang of it.

Well worth it IMO

no, we headed back (after 15kms I think)  on the tar road after we went though like 6 tubes and patched about 4 more and had a slow leak......

very dissapointed.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Which bike are they talking about - I want to buy it Big%20smile' date=' 'cause it sure feels like I am doing most of the work when I ride my bike!!!LOLLOL
[/quote']

No man, they're not talking about the pedaling bit. They mean that if you choose the right lines and gears and stuff. With a DS you just go over everything and expect the shocks to compensate your stupidity. Almost like driving a BMW where the drivers expect the car to switch on the indicator automatically.

Hehehehe! I'm with you there Mampara, just never realised that was their reason ("the car should know I'm changing gears!"). That's why I don't see myself driving one!

Hey, we missed you yesterday. Wassup?

Ratty,

Would you Rush into getting a new boyfriend?

Would you Rush into getting a new car?

Would you Rush into getting a new house?

Would you Rush into finding a new job?

The word is Rush, the bike is Cannondale.

There is no other.

See what I did there..

Ratty' date='

Would you Rush into getting a new boyfriend?

Would you Rush into getting a new car?

Would you Rush into getting a new house?

Would you Rush into finding a new job?

The word is Rush, the bike is Cannondale.

There is no other.

See what I did there..
[/quote']

LOL

Ratty.....while I'll not go so far as to say "There is no other" I would most certainly suggest you take a look at the Rush!

GoLefty is the smartest guy on the Hub for good reason! Wink

One tip they have in Bicycling this month is that you must first learn to ride a hard tail properly before going DS. That way you don't let the bike do all the work.

There certainly is some merit in this.

On a hard tail you feel it if you get your line wrong...

I prefer the womens specific bikes because it saves me from making my handle bars narrower and putting a shorter stem on but its not an issue if I have to buy a mens rather.

So far two of you have mentioned the Giant Anthems.  Which one? (There are 5 models as far as I can see) and any idea on the prices? 

Most shops should do small alterations like change the stem and/or shorten handle bars at no cost if you buy a new bike.

The frame is the same on all the Anthem models (not sure about the womens specific though - is it is available in SA?).

The front shock on the Anthem3 is really low spec;  the bit extra for the Anthem2 is certainly worth it. For the rest of the range it just comes down to your budget. If your budget allows for the 1 (or 0) go for it!

Anthem2 is what I had to settle for. Very happy with it. Big%20smile

Best advice I can give is to test ride a few bikes, even if it is only in the parking lot. (ride up and down a curb and or what ever there is to simulate a trail). If possible try to ride different bikes in quick succession so that you can compare the feel.

How the bike "feels" for you is important. If you don't like it in the parking lot, you most likely will not like it after an hour on the trail either.

Also remember that it does take a while to get the suspension settings right on a full sus and to get used to the different kind of ride when moving up from hard tail.

But once you have it right, there is no going back to hard tail.

My Anthem climbs like magic, is very responsive on the ST (which does mean it amplifies pilot errors too) and flies down hill.

Just remember with 3.5 inch of rear travel it is a XC bike not a down hill rig...

Phone the suppliers (Dragon) to find out where you can look at the woman specific Anthem. It is available in SA. I've seen 2 of them at Sabie Experience.

Phone Kyle at the Cycle Factory in Montague Gardens. The guy is realy clued up on bikes and organised a Merida Demo for me to try for a week! I would suggest a Merida Mission or AM 800-D or 3000-D. GREAT value for money.

Thanks for all the advice guys.  It looks like I've managed to organise a really sweet deal on a bike.  I won't give you details now, but will takes pics as soon as I get it.  It just needs to be built up first.  Can't wait.

Oh its a full suspension so my ass is going to be happy  Smile  Don't know about the legs on the uphills but will soon find out.

This is the frame I'm getting, minus the front shock.  Its very pretty.

http://i17.tinypic.com/62fplid.jpg

Nice!!!

Out of my budget Cry

But my Anthem2 still rocks! Big%20smile

No way you can ride anything but the long route on that - hope you get the bike in time for Saturday!

Thats what I thought :-)  It might be 2 years old but who cares.

My poor poor bank account.

ML, its a 2005 frame which was before they brought out the nice carbon ones so not that expensive!!! 
Ratty2007-05-24 03:28:41