WE need daylight saving now ASAP

Konaman

I'm all in for the idea of daylight saving.  Fewer people will get up earlier (5am) out of their own to cycle than the ones who will enjoy the extra 2 hours daylight after work.  I'm sure it will do wonders for my glof handicap as well Embarrassed

Unfortunately I cannot see it happening in SA anytime soon.

Comming to think of it, it will not be the best thing for me...I leave home around 5:30 for my morning ride to work and that means it will be dark still as it wil be the current 3:30...so I will have to ride in the dark... I would say that in winter they can rather have the clock move forward then I can still commute during daylight hours come summer and winter

I have thought about that too. The problem is that you need everyone to be on the same page.

You work the same hours' date=' except you just get more day light to live your life.

Day light savings in africa is not gonna be happening soon.  Sad but true.

[/quote']

It workx well in Namibia...... why do you always assume Africa is stupid??????

The only difference between day and night ' date=' as most of us knows is that it gets dark for some reason . (some of don't know why this happens) . As long as you get your 6 hours sleep every 24hours you will be fine .[/quote']

Has it got something to do with the earth being flat???????

smiley2.gif That's what I heard but apparently the okes at Discovery thinks that it's round ! They still believe stuff disappear in some triangle and does not really fall over the edge .

Just go on personal daylight savings in summer: go to sleep two hours earlier then you are all ready to get going at 5am - and this is such an awesome time in the day here in GP: for exercise, work or whatever.

and

Sit dit af!

?

namibia is a much thinner country - ie. they aren't spread over such a wide daylight variation, (and most of the people with a watch live in the same dorp anyway:-P).

south africa is centred on CAT, which is 30'

durbs is 32' - cape town 18', in effect an hour apart.

as much as i wouldn't mind an extra hour in the evening during summer it really works fine, why change it?

there is the possibility to really f"?$ things up, like good old bruce on the other side of the indian

they have three time zones

western (UTC+8), central (UTC+9:30) and eastern (UTC+10)

and then some really weird **** going on

Central Western Standard Time, which is halfway between Western and Central time--UTC+8:45

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australian_Central_Standard_Time

I second that 500%.

More daylight time to spend with family and friends doing the things we love outdoors is more than enough good reason especially when you got to be at work crazy early for those early rise gym bunniesTongue

namibia is a much thinner country - ie. they aren't spread over such a wide daylight variation' date=' (and most of the people with a watch live in the same dorp anyway:-P).

south africa is centred on CAT, which is 30'

durbs is 32' - cape town 18', in effect an hour apart.

as much as i wouldn't mind an extra hour in the evening during summer it really works fine, why change it?

there is the possibility to really f"?$ things up, like good old bruce on the other side of the indian

they have three time zones

western (UTC+8), central (UTC+9:30) and eastern (UTC+10)

and then some really weird **** going on

Central Western Standard Time, which is halfway between Western and Central time--UTC+8:45

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australian_Central_Standard_Time

[/quote']

At last someone a bit awake, if me start messing with the time zones then we should accomodate the guys in CT first.  (at last we have an explination why they are so behind Gauteng)

Seriously, though if you want to use the light, start as a family by going to bed eariler and waking up earlier and spending the morning together eating a proper breakfast, instead of trying to force your views onto others.

It's been proven not to save electricity.  I repeat: daylight savings does not save electricity.

You could just get up earlier' date=' you know.  It's nice to cycle at 5am in daylight.  Or you could work for one of the banks and start work at 7.

You wanna synchronize clocks according to a calendar in a country with zero education?  What, are you nuts?
[/quote']

Easy now Barend, no need to get your nikkers in a knotLOL 

Easy now Barend' date=' no need to get your nikkers in a knotLOL 
[/quote']

I get kinda defensive when other people suggest something that forces me to make changes to my life -- and complicate it -- to suit them.  Gut reaction.

Especially if it's done for no good reason.  Daylight savings doesn't magically create light.  Set your own clock.  You want extra daylight: it's right there -- you just gotta wake up on time.

Daylight savings is an absolute no-brainer! It works everywhere else in the world and (despite all the anti-African sentiments) will work here too.

Does it?

It exists in a bunch of other countries.  That doesn't mean it works.  I've lived and traveled in countries with daylight savings.  How does it work?  And for whom does it work?

cape town essentially has permanent daylight saving. So if you want it that bad, come join us on the 18th' meridian

Daylight saving is a great idea.

Having lived most my life in the UK it's great having it light until 10pm in the summer.

Bring it on.