worst broken part in a race

The Ouzo

"Broke my right pedal axle coming off the banking at that old track in Krugersdorp. Broke my thumb, bars, seat and lost most of the skin on the left side of my body... Still had the pedal clipped to my shoe after I stood up."

Eldron...............

Dude , im so sure i was on that track with you !! i remeber a old mate many years back doning this, and the cast with a pin in the thumb.Wink

Iron2009-11-05 08:35:17

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I havent had any "major" things go wrong on races.

But the last mtb race I did we had some bad luck.

The guy I was riding with fell and bent his saddle rails so badly that he had to ride the next 50km on a very very skew saddle.

2 km later his FD stopped working. Only 20 min later after trying to work it out we found a small stone stuck in it from the bottom.

2 km later my chain comes off and gets stuck between my rear swing arm and BB housing. So deflate my rear shock and pry my slightly bent chain out.

Inflate shock and off we go.

20km later, chain comes off again and this time it mangles the chain totally.

So same procedure, deflate, get out chain. try to use my chain tool which sucks. My friend eventually came to look for me, used his tool. Took off about 5 links.

Eventually carried on.

Finished about a hour AFTER the mats were gone.

Oh well.

Saddle clamp bolt snapped and i had to cycle just over 10km back home looking like one of those cool BMXers with my knees slapping against my ears.

Walkerville race this year. Crashed on the first rocky descent and bent my rear brake disc. Bent it as straight as I could but it still rubbed against the brake pad for the rest of the race.

Magalies I managed to bend one of the cogs in the cassette.

Another story. LOL

Was riding at majic, going down the hill towards the power station and suddenly my rear derailer went into the spokes.

Well it broke into many pieces, tore 2 few spokes straight out of the rim and destroyed a few more.

Chain was soooo mangled up and I think I messed up a few sprockets as well.

I ended up getting another bike at the end of the day!!

Oh yes, of course I had to carry it back to the car.

Ok ' date=' anyone brave enough to say what they have lost body part wise on there bike racing , or riding!!

Or should we start a new pol?

[/quote']

Hi-Jack

We were in high school, playing touch rugby on the lawn next to the carpark oneday waiting for someone to pic us up from Buffalo bay as the waves were flat. One of the kids ran into a tap, ripped his Balsak open! blood and balls people.. I was horified and have a fear of taps since LOL

Poor kid must be 25 now. still donno If he wil have kids oneday.

Hi Jack off.

Like I said, I broke my back Doing a downhill race back in 2000, went over the bars when I hit a sandy patch in the middle of a fast rooty section. I piledrove bounced off my head and over onto my back onto a treestump with a knop from a branch that had been cut off, the knop hit me right on T7 and it split.

I now have a nice story to tell when I ask Girls to rub suncream onto my back..Wink

And thank God I'm healed compleatly..Apart from my arm going black when I brush my teeth with the left hand, the veins bulge and It goes numb.. but that use to happen with the right arm aswell,  and when I slouched wrong..
Bos2009-11-05 08:59:11

Ok ' date=' anyone brave enough to say what they have lost body part wise on there bike racing , or riding!!

[/quote']

Hi-Jack

We were in high school, playing touch rugby on the lawn next to the carpark oneday waiting for someone to pic us up from Buffalo bay as the waves were flat. One of the kids ran into a tap, ripped his Balsak open! blood and balls people.. I was horified and have a fear of taps since LOL

Hi Jack off.

Like I said, I broke my back Doing a downhill race back in 2000, went over the bars when I hit a sandy patch in the middle of a fast rooty section. I piledrove bounced off my head and over onto my back onto a treestump with a knop from a branch that had been cut off, the knop hit me right on T7 and it split.

I now have a nice story to tell when I ask Girls to rub suncream onto my back..Wink

And thank God I'm healed compleatly..Apart from my arm going black when I brush my teeth with the left hand, the veins bulge and It goes numb.. but that use to happen with the right arm aswell,  and when I slouched wrong..

Im going to win hands down here, i broke my left nut in a mtb race in 1995 and had to have it removed ............ worst pain ever......

And yes i have kids . two boys!!!!
Iron2009-11-05 09:03:48

Saturday afternoon track league, late '90's at HNP and while rolling to the start of the 1500m, Chunky's saddle adjustment bolt snapped. He just dropped straight onto the back wheel which left a nasty burn on the inside of his thigh! It looked sore!

This is the same guy who while we are rolling to the start of our 1500m heat on Durban track (1998) turns to me and rather comically points out that his front wheel bolts are loose! I looked down to see the lock rings bouncing!! Scary stuff!

And the same man had the misfortune of having a Campagnolo Ghibli rear disc wheel disintegrate during the last 50m of one of his sprint rounds during the 1999 SA champs! Comical stuff!

As for me...I snapped an old TVT carbon fork in the last kilo of a race as a junior. Finished the race unaware, but when I lifted the bike to pack it away the fork dropped out of the frame, only held on by the front brake cable which was still attached to the fork! It took me years to ride a carbon fork again!

I also saw a guy 'buy the farm'in a big way on HNP...rolled both tubbies! Turns out the shop he had them fitted at forgot to glue them on! He literally left a big long red stripe on the track! But hey, skin grows back!

[/quote']

Hi-Jack

Hi Jack off.

Im going to win hands down here, i broke my left nut in a mtb race in 1995 and had to have it removed ............ worst pain ever......

And yes i have kids . two boys!!!!

So now you are also one-nut? LOL

Ladies and gentlemen, we have our very own Hub One-Nut!!! LOL

Sorry Lance, you have now been replaced!
Andyr2492009-11-05 09:22:35

20091105_092647_broken_handle_1.jpg

Tupperware on bikes is a scary thing when I see stuff like this! What make bar is that? Do you still have teeth?

This is my team mates handle bar. It broke while riding in the peleton during a race. He hit a pot hole which no one called out. Some how he managed to stay up and never caused a crash. And he still has all his teethSmile

busch12009-11-05 09:36:23