worst broken part in a race

The Ouzo

what has been the worst broken part of your bike in a race, and did you finish the race ?

many years ago, as I climbed onto the M1 during the 94.7 I felt a clucking in my pedals. this developed into a squeeking. Then, as I put the pressure down to start climbing at St Andrews the crank siezed.

I pulled off to the side, realised the problem and contemplated throwing in the towel. but the cranks turned by hand, so I decided I'd ride it to the first bike mechanic I saw and get it looked at.

that never happened, the sound went away, the cranks turned relatively freely and I just kept going till the end of the race.

took the bike apart the next weekend and the BB bearings came out in little pieces. How I did not damage anything else was a miracle.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I still have the little pieces of a Carbon cage from an XO rear mech.  Made a lovely zing sound as the bottom pulley came flying past me after having met with my rear spokes...

20 km walk home from there (Sabie Classic)

what has been the worst broken part of your bike in a race' date=' and did you finish the race ?

many years ago, as I climbed onto the M1 during the 94.7 I felt a clucking in my pedals. this developed into a squeeking. Then, as I put the pressure down to start climbing at St Andrews the crank siezed.

I pulled off to the side, realised the problem and contemplated throwing in the towel. but the cranks turned by hand, so I decided I'd ride it to the first bike mechanic I saw and get it looked at.

that never happened, the sound went away, the cranks turned relatively freely and I just kept going till the end of the race.

took the bike apart the next weekend and the BB bearings came out in little pieces. How I did not damage anything else was a miracle.
[/quote']

Broke my right pedal axle coming off the banking at that old track in Krugersdorp. Broke my thumb, bars, seat and lost most of the skin on the left side of my body... Still had the pedal clipped to my shoe after I stood up.

Stripped a cassette in a sprint, smashed my nads on the cross bar - more skin loss.

The worst I've seen was my team mate snap his bars in a race - I looked left in time to see his hand and bars about my head height then he went down HARD. That was ugly...

OK, it wasn't in s race, but I was training out in the wilderness and my deraleur got caught in the spokes and got tangled up good and proper...

The wheel wouldn't even roll... I pull out my phone and... zero signal...

So I carry my cheap Silverback on my shoulders, in cycling shoes for 15-odd k's... yeah, fun... the bike weighed around 14kgs...

I've done a couple of Imana Wild rides, and have seen some interesting stuff.

Seen a guy loose crank bolts on the non drive side. The repair wss to use the bolt and plate that hold your seat onto the seatpost to hold the crank on. Then the guys took turns one riding standing the other seated and swapped evry 5 minutes.

Seen a couple of seat bolts sheer. one guy found a fiberglass electricty box and robbed a bolt from that to replace.

had two partners break hangers on stage races.

I'm to light to break anything. (touch wood)

mm.. To tell you the truth In all my years of riding I havent broken anything major in a race.. worst be a rear deraleur cable snap after 25 km.. that was probably the hardest race of my life but  Nothing at all like Eldron, jeez I guess you bigboys also play harder.. Ive been very lucky a brazilian times though, but did brake my back in 2000.

20091105_074614_DSC01103small.jpg

This years one tonner - saddle snapped in half (folded) and I rode the last ten kays TT style on the tip!

Tarmac-GSTR2009-11-05 07:50:22

some f#cker stuck his pedal in my back wheel about 2km before the finish and took out most of my f'ing spokes.. 

a few years ago i was doing a race, had my winning time chip on its attachment which you put inbetewwn your fork and skewer. this attachment somehow snapped and so now there there was a slight gap in between the skewer and my fork and therefore my wheel was not on tight. i however did not notice it but then as we went over a bridge and I had to do a little bunnyhop. my front wheel uncliped and went rolling down the hill without me. I landed straight on the fork, snapped it in half and nose dived into the ground. i remember seeing my wheel rolling away from me and thinking " oh ****this is going to hurt"

Nothing too serious for me.

Broke my chain in a race...

Broke a pedal, actually it just came to pieces - very annoying to finish on the shaft.

Cracked a frame, not even in a fall.

My favourite dismount in a race was the failure of a shock crown round the top a of the front fork tube...gotta love the old school SIDs..

20091105_074614_DSC01103small.jpg

This years one tonner - saddle snapped in half (folded) and I rode the last ten kays TT style on the tip!

I havnt had a saddle snap, but I have had one come completely loose. sitting on it, if I wiggled just right I could get it into position, but the moment I would stand or change position the angle would be all wrong.

I sat down once or twice with the tip pointing up so that as I sat it hit my ass.

luckily this was during the fast one so not many hills that require you to stand.

Touch wood I've been lucky so far.

Remember a few guys at the Magalies monster with broken rear derailleur hangers.

Needles to say I now carry a spare.

a few years ago i was doing a race' date=' had my winning time chip on its attachment which you put inbetewwn your fork and skewer. this attachment somehow snapped and so now there there was a slight gap in between the skewer and my fork and therefore my wheel was not on tight. i however did not notice it but then as we went over a bridge and I had to do a little bunnyhop. my front wheel uncliped and went rolling down the hill without me. I landed straight on the fork, snapped it in half and nose dived into the ground. i remember seeing my wheel rolling away from me and thinking " oh ****this is going to hurt" [/quote']

I had that as a kid. first bike with quick release. I didnt tighten the front one properly, lifted the front wheel to jump a pavement, wheel came off, I went down. Luckily the pace was slow, I was young and supple, and the landing was on grass.

My skewer came loose inthe nando's mtb at about 15km... luckily i heard the sound change...I stopped and nipped it up before disaster.

Broke the chain at the Wines to Whales ride.

No problem, except that as the chain broke, it got caught in the deraileur pulley, which in turn ripped off the deraillier arm, which in turn ripped off the derailleur hanger, which in turn took out 8 spokes, which in turn all got jammed in the front derailleur and took that out quite nicely.

A quick singlespeed conversion sorted that all out, so I finished (and the next day too)