Why you are not welcome in the cradle

Cradleresident

... coming in after the fact but I'm quite amazed this discussion even evolved past 1 page and that there's even a discussion - imho this is a no-brainer' date=' either we as cyclists act courteous & behave on the roads or we will either be killed by frustrated motorists or we will be banned from riding on the roads. You choose your preferred outcome and behave accordingly.

As for me ... as long as some guys are irritating motorists that drive 2 tonne projectiles at 120km/h ... I'm not playing where they're playing. My biggest problem on morning rides is which singletrack to take and which to skip. Wink
[/quote']

@Trakz...let's not even mention MTB ettiquette....sometimes I'm thinking it is getting as bad as road ettiquette...

mostly on the overcrowded races....at least you won't DIE as a result!!

• Replies 371
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

20091107_040230_aaaa.JPG

Applause for the MTB'er staying in the cycle lane..ClapClapClapClap

As for the rest....WTF??? Where is my 2m shockstick???

I see only 1 cyclists not in the cycle lane Confused Also if you look further down next to the sign those cyclists also appear to keep far left.

Guys, we are not welcome there. Just don't go.

Simple.

We also, collectively, ride like a bunch of idiots. We have made our bed and now must lie on it.

Find somewhere else, ride like decent human beings and maybe that will be the place where we are welcome.

Who cares about the motivation for the photos, the title of the thread, emotive rantings and ravings. If I am not welcome, that is fine. Colour me gone.

Guys' date=' we are not welcome there. Just don't go.

?

Simple.

?

We also, collectively, ride like a bunch of idiots. We have made our bed and now must lie on it.

?

Find somewhere else, ride like decent human beings and maybe that will be the place where we are welcome.

?

Who cares about the motivation for the photos, the title of the thread, emotive rantings and ravings. If I am not welcome, that is fine. Colour me gone.
[/quote']

I will not stop riding there. I know when I do ride there I do absolutely nothing wrong. If I do get hurt due to car I know it will not be my fault.

Rude' date=' my suggestion is not a solution, but if everyone chills a bit there would be lots less agression, and without photos every 2 days on the hub less people will get irritated by it.

Honestly there are more pressing issues in the world than going around taking pics of cyclists....[/quote']

i think CR has done a great thing here, instead of just fuelling a debate that will still be raging once the palestinians are chiling with israel he has shown us some photos of how cyclists are abusing the road. he's one of us, so sees it from both sides - that means a lot to me.

result:people will hopefully stop hogging the road, and will find a better place to take a slash.

Shebeen I agree with you. Cant say the same for Coenie though.

Apparently (and this is just my interpretationof Coenies comment) it is ok for cyclists to do illegal sh*t. Everyone else must just chill and ignore it while these chops abuse the roads and turn a blind eye to the law being broken.

Is this not why we have such a huge problem with crime in this country?

Screw that. The rule of law is being broken and the chops will keep doing it until they are held accountable.

Cradleresident, you go for it. Name and shame these idjits.

It is time we all started being faithful to all the rules of the road. Not just to be polite and clean up our act, but for our own personal safety.

Is that such a difficult concept to understand?

Then everyone will be less tense and more tolerant with one another.

We are all accountable for our behaviour and only have control over ourselves. Start with the man / woman in the mirror. That is the only one you have control over.

Sommer start with that attitude Coenie and other who have a *** houding.

The question as to what the driver who is complaining about having to sit behind cyclists blocking the road would do if it was a slow truck was raised on this thread again.  It often gets raised on such threads.

I just want to make the observation that quite often the drivers of slow trucks move over for faster moving traffic when they can.  When they can't move over' date=' some truck drivers indicate to the drivers behind them when it is safe to pass. [/quote']

A large slow truck/tractor/donkey cart doesnt have a choice in its width. Sometimes they are courteous and help you overtake and or drive in the yellow line (illegally). Motorists still get impatient and often end up overtaking on a solid white line on a blind rise.

A group of cyclists are riding 6 abreast by choice and swear at motorists who hoot at them are a different story all together.

I don't understand quite understand what you're saying.  My point was that any type of traffic should be considerate of other road users and I think that, when and if it is safe to do so, there's no reason why slow moving traffic shouldn't move over to let other traffic past.

To say that motorists should be expected to sit behind cyclists riding abreast when it would be safe for the cyclists to move over and/or into single file because the motorists would have to sit behind a slow truck does not make sense.  At least not to me.

I am agreeing with you. It doesn't make sense, but it is used as an argument used by some cyclists.

(I hadn't had enough coffee yet, so apologies if that didnt come across properly.)

20091107_040230_aaaa.JPG

Applause for the MTB'er staying in the cycle lane..ClapClapClapClap

As for the rest....WTF??? Where is my 2m shockstick???

I see only 1 cyclists not in the cycle lane Confused Also if you look further down next to the sign those cyclists also appear to keep far left.

I also see that the guy in the lane has made a special effort to be visible.  Not knowing the area at all, is it possible that he is planning to turn right - I see a sign for a road.  If that is the case then he is perfectly within his rights to move into the lane to make a right turn.  To be absolutely correct and follow the law he should remain in the cycle lane indicate he is turning right and turn across the traffic as the vehicle in front always has right of way, but that would obviously be unsafe (especially with the driver taking photos while driving).

Slave you are correct. I only have control over my actions ans as such I am entirely responsible for my actions and transgressions. It is the fault of that moron in the mirror. I am not being sarcastic or flippant (just to clear up this post in comparison to my normal posts).

My issue is that the Cradle residents (represented here by a sum of one I think, but feel free to correct me) do not want cyclists in their "crib". There is no "Please can you sort this out" or anything like that.

The thread is simply "Why you are not welcome in the cradle". There is nothing else other than "go away".

Para, I understand your viewpoint as well.

Me? I probably would not drive through the place. I don't go where I am not welcome.

There is a bike lane and they do not use it?????? WTF..I wish we had bike lanes here. Why do cyclists always complain if there is bike lanes and they do not use it?

Linnega....jeez man give it a break!Your arguments and justifications are all wearing a bit thin.

I really respect your opinions on issues,but here you do not make sense.

Who cares if one cyclist was possibly turning to the right.

Maybe all the bozos riding across the lane,and over the white line,were turning to the right.

The cyclists in this instance were breaking the law and need to ensure they do not do so in future.

My issue is that the Cradle residents (represented here by a sum of one I think' date=' but feel free to correct me) do not want cyclists in their "crib". There is no "Please can you sort this out" or anything like that.

The thread is simply "Why you are not welcome in the cradle". There is nothing else other than "go away".

Me? I probably would not drive through the place. I don't go where I am not welcome.
[/quote']

That is such a "Well screw you too" attitude. The thread title simply explains the current situation....due to the cyclist's behaviour, they are not currently welcomed by the residents.

Now you can respond to that with "Well screw you too....I'm out of here", which will make the cradle residents very happy I assure you, or you could be a bit more mature, clean up your(and I refer to all cyclists) act and be welcome and THEN....then everyone is happy.

Personally, I'm ashamed to be associated with the idiots in these photos.

Guys' date=' we are not welcome there. Just don't go.

Simple.

[/quote']

None of you are allowed in the Southern Suburbs of Cape Town any more! It is now my exclusive training ground. I always find it so inconvenient when I am cycling along and all of you idjits pass me just to make me feel slow! And CR, you are not allowed either (whether you want to come or not!), because I don't want more cars on my personal road, they just get in my way and make me feel insecure!

The question as to what the driver who is complaining about having to sit behind cyclists blocking the road would do if it was a slow truck was raised on this thread again.  It often gets raised on such threads.

I just want to make the observation that quite often the drivers of slow trucks move over for faster moving traffic when they can.  When they can't move over' date=' some truck drivers indicate to the drivers behind them when it is safe to pass. [/quote']

A large slow truck/tractor/donkey cart doesnt have a choice in its width. Sometimes they are courteous and help you overtake and or drive in the yellow line (illegally). Motorists still get impatient and often end up overtaking on a solid white line on a blind rise.

A group of cyclists are riding 6 abreast by choice and swear at motorists who hoot at them are a different story all together.

I don't understand quite understand what you're saying.  My point was that any type of traffic should be considerate of other road users and I think that, when and if it is safe to do so, there's no reason why slow moving traffic shouldn't move over to let other traffic past.

To say that motorists should be expected to sit behind cyclists riding abreast when it would be safe for the cyclists to move over and/or into single file because the motorists would have to sit behind a slow truck does not make sense.  At least not to me.

I am agreeing with you. It doesn't make sense, but it is used as an argument used by some cyclists.

(I hadn't had enough coffee yet, so apologies if that didnt come across properly.)

Embarrassed

I think the main problem is that because of the 94.7 there are just to many cyclists on the road right now. In the Cape we have the same problem in the Southern Suburbs which starts around January, hell there are so many cyclist on the road in the month before the Argus the even start to test my patience. 

I think the main problem is that because of the 94.7 there are just to many cyclists on the road right now who do not give a rats arse about the rules or anyone else but themselves. In the Cape we have the same problem in the Southern Suburbs which starts around January' date=' hell there are so many cyclist on the road in the month before the Argus the even start to test my patience.  [/quote']

Fixed.

Slave you are correct. I only have control over my actions ans as such I am entirely responsible for my actions and transgressions. It is the fault of that moron in the mirror. I am not being sarcastic or flippant (just to clear up this post in comparison to my normal posts).

My issue is that the Cradle residents (represented here by a sum of one I think' date=' but feel free to correct me) do not want cyclists in their "crib". There is no "Please can you sort this out" or anything like that.

[/quote']

Good decision......you probably will get totally pissed off with the inconsiderate cyclists in the area which make driving a nightmare.