Why you are not welcome in the cradle

Cradleresident

I wish that people would chill out and stop complaining about these little things in life...think about it...there are much more important things to complain about ie.

Eskom' date=' and the increases they want
Tax, and the proposed increase
National medical program
etc
Cut cut cut cut cut

etc

nuff said, my 1 cent
[/quote']

Coenie, after many years as a lobbyist I've come across hundres of people just like you. You always paraphrase your complaint against others who take up and work for a cause with the very lame: "Why don't you rather complain/do something about (insert your own favourite cause here).

I always respond with: "That seems like a very worthwhile cause, may I please see the last letter you wrote to Eskom's CEO or the press, detailing your gripe and the layout of the solution?" If the guy is bigger than me, I usually get bliksemed.

If I can still talk I continue: "Seeing that you seem to have a list of issues, may I have a copy of the list of most pressing issues that you're working on, starting with the very important ones at the top. That way we can work our way down and tick them off."

After 30 years of lobbying I still have not received a single list. I suspect it will be the same with you and Mavric Man. Show me the last letters you penned. Or minutes of the last meeting you as a pressure group called with the offenders.

Society just doesn't function on unified priorities. We all work for causes that directly affect us and relegade the others to the less important in-tray.

The civilised rule of engagement is you either contribute or, if you are on the other side of the fence, you state your case and make an argument for your behaviour.

However, the tendency to just muteyour TV for 10 seconds to chirp and suggest someone rather take up this or that cause is just apathetic.

• Replies 371
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I must say, I was pretty shocked at some of those pictures. I know its difficult to convey exactly what was happening at the moment the picture was taken.

But we are to blame really. Yes we are entitled to ride on the road, but whatever happened to consideration?

Consideration for others could just be the very thing that saves your @$$ on the next group ride.

And, its not just in the Cradle. Our little meeting point in the South is also becoming a nightmare. At the junction of Swartkoppies and Klipriver, the cyclists literally block the filter lane prior to departure...and clearly dont care. Riding and blocking a lane is one thing, but standing chatting to your mate in the middle of the road is another!

It does, it pains me to say this but we are a nuisance when we are in these big groups. Its a pity.

I wish that people would chill out and stop complaining about these little things in life...think about it...there are much more important things to complain about ie.

Eskom' date=' and the increases they want
Tax, and the proposed increase
National medical program
etc

....wrt to urinating...chill man...I have seen LOTS of people doing it, is is it because he is a cyclist?
Next to Taxi ranks, mere meters away from toilets, and you then we all accept it?

What about the people "stealing electricity" do you also actively hunt them down with a camera?

Come on, just chill out, like someone said after the 94.7 things will calm down again...same in Cape Town, just before the Argus things are crasy...in December you can not drive/park even walk in small town like George, Mosselbay, Jeffries...and the residents chill out and accept it for that time

Now everyone is getting their nickers in a knot over something that is tempory....??

Take a chill pill Cradelresident...there are lots of things that iritate many people and they take in their stride....

Just accept it like you accept many other things, Taxis, people throwing rubbish out of their cars, people driving drunk....

If you want to make the world a better place I suggest you all start with things that really matter...

Drunk Drivers(proven to be a KILLER), Murders, homeless(they urinate in public), jobless beggers, drunks....etc

nuff said, my 1 cent
[/quote']

I would normally not bother replying to a post like this, but this must be the most brain dead comment i have ever seen. I nominate that you become a spokesman for cyclists.

So Coennnnieeee well done, just when you thought it couldnt get more ridiculous.

Coenie' date=' well said. To add, I have never heard a cyclist ever killing anyone..... [/quote']

Ummm ... it happened in my area a few months back, that is a cyclist killing someone.

Guest colonel
Has Big H arrived yet ?

I am also waiting for that post....between him and Julias...it is always a toss up as to who will make the worst comment.

smiley1.gif

Better than using a Ipod on a club ride when you not allowed to.....Who you riding with now?

Johan Bornman, PM me your email address and I will send you all those letters, photos etc where I am active in trying to make a difference.

Has Big H arrived yet ?
I am also waiting for that post....between him and Julias...it is always a toss up as to who will make the worst comment. smiley1.gif

?

Better than using a Ipod on a club ride when you not allowed to.....Who you riding with now?

colonel, I fail to see the relevance of your post here...but anyway...

Lets get the facts straight....

1. I was not using a IPOD on a club ride when I was not suppose to.

2. The club sent out a news letter saying that from NOW on IPODS will not longer be allowed on club rides

3. I had not broken any club rule as I never rode with the club, or on a club ride since they instituted the rule.

4. I ride with a few friends who don't mind Ipods.

Now since I answered your question, here is mine to you....

In the future, please get your facts straight BEFORE posting, and try to be specific and what did you want to achieve by this post anyway?

coenie2009-11-08 13:17:49

Jules hit the nail on the head - 'no one gives a damn about the law in SA'

Why? because there are usually no consequences to our actions.

Many of the pictures tell the tale, no consideration for anyone, because the riders think they are safe in the baaaaanch.

I went on cyclelab club rides on Saturday 17th © and 31st Oct (C1). The marshalls had us riding in two's, in the breakdown lane as often as was safe and possible, and on the sketchy sections shouted single file only.

I was impressed with how the group did make an effort to ride more considerately and the ride was enjoyable. At times we had to pass huge groups of other slower cyclists (other clubs and mixed groups) and then it was inevitable that more of the road was taken. If snap shots were taken of us then (out of context) no explanation could be given in mitigation. So 'timing is everything' in other words. CL is making some effort to improving their game, it may take a little while longer to be perfect.

Unfortunately CR you live in a quiet neck of the woods, where it is perceived to be safer to cycle than in the busier suburban streets, so your problem is not going to dissapear. Perhaps sleeping in and venturing our once the mass of bicycles has subsided might help, but in your case dealing with cyclists on the road is much like the rest of us dealing with taxi's when we drive around. Problem for you is its 'every weekend', so keep up the efforts to try and educate the road users that are pi$$ing you off, and as said elsewhere keep shaking the local authorties cages, eventually you may get a bark from them.

Coenie, you chill pill idea is a rather useless suggestion to make this problem go away.

Rude, my suggestion is not a solution, but if everyone chills a bit there would be lots less agression, and without photos every 2 days on the hub less people will get irritated by it.

Honestly there are more pressing issues in the world than going around taking pics of cyclists....

I believe that the biggest problem is the rude, arrogant and offensive behaviour of SOME cyclists to both other cyclists and motorists when reprimanded. We cannot imagine the amount of upset that is caused by the response by SOME cyclists to, a polite cautionary hoot by a motorist trying to get past a group of cyclists riding four of five abreast, or a fellow cyclist like myself warning about a row of 8 or 10 cars being held up by cyclists riding four abreast up a hill at 8km/h during a fun ride (let wel ! on open roads).

My two pennies worth !.

linnega you are forcing the shoe onto the other foot here' date=' the issue is cyclists behaviour, NOT cage driver behaviour... Irrespective how any of us feel about cage drivers, this thread is about cyclists behaviour.

[/quote']

Fair enough, but as I said the actual issue here around the cradle area is for me irrelevant, as I have no interest in the residents there, the cyclists there or in fact if it even existed.  My only point on behaviour is that I don't believe in the commonly held notion that cyclist behaviour has any impact on the disregard that motorists have for cyclists.  As a result, I ride my bike the safest way possible, then within the law.  I'm not responsible for other cyclists any more than motorists are responsible for truck drivers or taxi drivers.

Thanks for pointing out the brain fart - can't say I read through the legislation again, just scanned for section numbers.  I take it then that the area at the cradle is a "pedal cycle lane reservation".  I assume this gives priority for cyclists and is therefore not "set aside for use by persons using a pedal cycle" only.  Would subsection 7 apply then, as the cyclists don't have exclusive use?