Why you are not welcome in the cradle

Cradleresident

I THINK THESE CLUBS BE TO RETHINK THEIR ROUTES AND THEIR GROUPS..... THE BIGGER THE GROUP THE MORE SPACE THEY TAKE UP ON THE ROAD..... BUT REALLY THERE IS NO NEED TO BE GOING OVER ONTO THE ON COMING LANE....... I SAY .... THROW AWAY YOUR ROAD BIKE GET A MOUNTAIN BIKE AND GET OFF THE ROADS.... OR DO YOUR 94.7 TRAINING ON YOUR ROLLERS

You'll find the 'Caps Lock' key on the left of your keyboard.

No need to thank.

• Replies 371
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

sɹǝlloɹ ɹnoʎ uo ƃuıuıɐɹʇ 7˙49 ɹnoʎ op ɹo ˙˙˙˙spɐoɹ ǝɥʇ ɟɟo ʇǝƃ puɐ ǝʞıq uıɐʇunoɯ ɐ ʇǝƃ ǝʞıq pɐoɹ ɹnoʎ ʎɐʍɐ ʍoɹɥʇ ˙˙˙˙ ʎɐs ı ˙˙˙˙˙˙˙ǝuɐl ƃuıɯoɔ uo ǝɥʇ oʇuo ɹǝʌo ƃuıoƃ ǝq oʇ pǝǝu ou sı ǝɹǝɥʇ ʎllɐǝɹ ʇnq ˙˙˙˙˙pɐoɹ ǝɥʇ uo dn ǝʞɐʇ ʎǝɥʇ ǝɔɐds ǝɹoɯ ǝɥʇ dnoɹƃ ǝɥʇ ɹǝƃƃıq ǝɥʇ ˙˙˙˙˙sdnoɹƃ ɹıǝɥʇ puɐ sǝʇnoɹ ɹıǝɥʇ ʞuıɥʇǝɹ oʇ ǝq sqnlɔ ǝsǝɥʇ ʞuıɥʇ ı

I could not believe the yellow belly actions that were taken this weekend by someone in the cradle area but the absolute stupidity of their actions.

Throwing thumbtacks in the road is an obvious attempt to get rid of the cyclists in the cradle area that are breaking the rules and riding all over the road, BUT to ONLY throw them in the yellow/cycling lane is complete brainlessness (not mommies most brightest tool in the shed) the cyclist that got the punctures from these tacks ARE the cyclist that were following the rules and not riding in the road obstructing traffic, this then forced everyone out the yellow lane and into the road, where was the logic in this I ask you.

Having said that, I completely understand the residents anger as my whole ride long I was shouting at other cyclists to stay in the yellow lane as tensions are high enough as it is and they are making things worse (2 particular clubs were the main culprates). While fixing punctures I watched a group of guys riding in the middle of the road (probably 10 strong) not 1 was in the yellow lane, after asking nicely pls ride in the yellow, we were told to F-off and thrown signs.

Maybe we as cyclists need to take a stand against ourselves (namely the ones giving us a bad rep and thinking the price of their bike sends them up the cycling ranks) and maybe there we will change the attitude of the public toward us.

Drove out to teak on saturday morning, Driving up beyers towards the circle had a big bunch of cycle lab guys coming down the hill they had a group of cars behind them as they were taking up the whole rode.

Cant cycle lab break there groups up into smaller ones?

I went out all the way from the Beyers Naude circle to the Sterkfontein caves and there were alot of cyclist and there were only one or two weekend warriors with their takkies and loose helmets that were not adhering to proper road usage.

Fowlstart, by the looks of the pictures I really cant blame the motorist for doing stupid stuff like throwing thumbtags on the roads. These guys are'nt doing cyclists any favours and the way they continue to ride will just aggrivate motorists even more.

Sure the cyclists that do follow the rules of the road will now suffer as well. But if you guys that do follow dont get in contact with the clubs that disobey the rules this will continue to get worse.

I would even go so far as to say to go have a chat to the local traffic auhtorities and have them pull these clubs off and fine the lot of them every time they ride like this. Not sure how much it will help but if you can get the cycling community to start following the rules of the road again, in a couple of months calm and peace should return to the area.

these actions are drastic but somehow i dont think talking to the clubs will have any effect.

thanks the 2 guys with the blue subaru that had come back to clean up the tacks on the side of the road.

further yesterday, i road the cradle route again and i saw that cyclist suffered a puncture and threw his old tube at the side of the road.

COME ON GUYS!!! you know that that there are so many complaints about the cyclists and we are trying to fight for our rights to use the roads, but some idiot must go throw some fuel in the fire. please dont start this nonsense. you are teaching all the novice cyclists bad and wrong habits. this is our playground and we are responsible to keep it clean.

I agree, the clubs dont seem to care much at all, it is generalising but CL and C100 were the main contenders.

After 3 punctures we got to see plenty of the guys overlooking the rules.

We a decent sized group of guys and know many ppl out there, though we not angels we try our best to follow rules and set the right example at ground zero. need more ppl to rally together and do the same.

I will speak to a few ppl higher up to see if we can get any sort of ball rolling on this as I was so close to hanging up the road bike (something I have loved for years and my family has been a huge part of for even longer) after saturday and only hitting the trails on the mtb but i know something needs to b lead from the front to help this situation

The problem really is that there are no longer any rules to follow or be enforced. If there was clarity in terms of bylaws and credible law enforcement, we would know what the rules are and be compelled to comply.

In the absence, it comes down to personal decisions as to what is acceptable and what is not. The thumbtack vigilante feels justified in the same way that the cyclist in the middle of the road does. So you really do have to 'be the change', be responsible and considerate.

Or move to a place where these things are properly controlled by elected officials.

Prehaps the various cycling clubs could have something like mobile marshals that randomly visit the different routes of conflict?

Right on myGT, we need to help fix the problem, not make it worse.

I will post a pic of all the tacks I alone picked up. times it by 5 as our whole group picked up the same.

Slippery slope when we entertain condoning thumtacks on the road as it means the means justify the end. Proper law enforcement, naming and shaming clubs/riders, pro active involvement from CGC not only around the cradle but other cyclist routes like Lido and OT Airport is whats needed, but this has been discussed many times before and we are still in the same place.

The problem really is that there are no longer any rules to follow or be enforced. If there was clarity in terms of bylaws and credible law enforcement, we would know what the rules are and be compelled to comply.

In the absence, it comes down to personal decisions as to what is acceptable and what is not. The thumbtack vigilante feels justified in the same way that the cyclist in the middle of the road does. So you really do have to 'be the change', be responsible and considerate.

Or move to a place where these things are properly controlled by elected officials.

Rules are still exactly the same as they use to be when we were kids and we were forced to follow them by traffic officials. Nothing has changed and I dont beleive for one second any of us dont know what the basic rules are.

Its simply a question of those laws not being enforced and this is causing cyclists to ignore them and then riding like moron's with your head stuck up your @ss becomes the normal state of play. If the traffic cops pulled an entire peleton aside once or twice and gave every single on of them a R500 fine trust me wont be long before they ride where only shoulders exist and in single file.

I don't know the 'solution', but putting something on the road to deliderately cause damage to property (bicycles/tyres) is a criminal activity, and must be investigated by SAPS.

It's also completely stupid! and could lead to consequences far higher than a simple puncture - it could lead, directly, to a fall which could, in turn, result in someone being severly injusted - or worse - what would the charges agenst the person who placed the tacks be then? Attempted Murder? (they must surely know that the 'consequences' could be far higher than simply having a puncture to fix).

Having said that - I, as a cyclist, get 'frustrated' at the way some cyclists ride!

Rules are still exactly the same as they use to be when we were kids and we were forced to follow them by traffic officials. Nothing has changed and I dont beleive for one second any of us dont know what the basic rules are.

Its simply a question of those laws not being enforced and this is causing cyclists to ignore them and then riding like moron's with your head stuck up your @ss becomes the normal state of play. If the traffic cops pulled an entire peleton aside once or twice and gave every single on of them a R500 fine trust me wont be long before they ride where only shoulders exist and in single file.

Why does rules need to be enforced? The law is the law. Will you kill somebody just because you know nothing will happen to you? The same goes for these people that keep on complaining that the Metro cops are targeting the soft targets and don't go after real criminals. The law is the law, if it get enforced or not, it should be obeyed.