carbon frames (flex)

Hermanus Cycles

Only time will tell...

Do I care? Nope. I think it matters only to those TOP RIDERS in the TdF that have to sprint etc.

I am a MTB'r and if my carbon frame starts flexing with age - that would be awsome! You see, as we get older, WE start to flex less!
MJ loves MTB2009-11-12 05:32:35

The question is about a roadbike that has developed flex,I am sure it has.But the agents for said frame recon it is not possible.

Very difficult to gauge this kind of thing?

JB whats you take on this?

my take on this is, no, they dont flex more / soften with age...

i'v got carbon fishing rods that are more then 10 years old, and every time you cast them they bend to the max,,, and they have never got softer, they still cast like they did when new. Also, if a carbon frame was flexing, surely the clear lacure coating would crack in that area?? its all marketing hype??!!

A carbon frame does not degrade in any form or way. The only way it will flex is if its cracked.

As an average rider its highly unlikely that you can feel a frame flex "more than it did when it was new". These frames are tested to destruction in the development stage and when they do fail it's been through the equivelent as (eg) 100 000kms on the road...

It is difficult (impossible) to gauge by riding it, you need the relevant stress gauges etc and compare it to a new frame out the mould...

Depends if its designed to flex .. for instance the lower swing arms on my Scalpel mtb ?dont have a pivot point or bearing, the carbon fibre has flattened out sections which are the pivot points. The rest is rigid.

Its also not like metal that fatigues with constant motion and in the design axis its very rigid BUT if forces are applied in directions other than that very brittle and can snap, that why carbon frames break in prangs and thats why that carbon composite tail fin broke off that Airbus over Long Island in 2001 after it encountered severe wake turbulence. You also see the same problem with F1 cars, where bits snap off when they bump each other.

Aaaahhh, come on JB, not so fast, Can't you regale us with your fishing rod soaked in acetone story or something?

...how about - definitely not.  Frame is either the same as it was or it is broken (cracked/delaminating).

Aaaahhh' date=' come on JB, not so fast, Can't you regale us with your fishing rod soaked in acetone story or something? [/quote']

The outcome of that experiment was......NO

...how about - definitely not.  Frame is either the same as it was or it is broken (cracked/delaminating).

ClapInsuranceClap

I dforum_images/post_button_spell_check.gifont beleive a Bicycle frame sees enough load to "soften" the frame, but carbon fibre structures do degrade with time and they do exhibit more flex with prolonged use at the design limit of the structure e.g. teh tub of a Formula 1 car.

There is degradation in the laminate.

In most designs, the fatigue life is designed in so that the structure is always working within safe limits. cal this over design if you like. Main spars for aircraft and tubs for sports cars are overdesigned but F1 car tubs are not. They are designed to last a few races so the structure closer to the ultimate limit to optimise material usage.

On som of those uber light weight show bikes, you may find "softening of the frame after some time since the structure is made as light as possible without lifespan being a factor.

But for bicycle frames the simple answer is NO as per JB.