Simple Effective Computers - do they exist?

SteelyDan

Ja, ja, ja... millions of functions and you need the fingers of a concert pianist to use them. Preferably a degree in applied mathematics. And the patience of Job. And if you lose the tiny-print manual you're stuffed...

Anyone PLEASE have a suggestion for me?

I'm looking to buy a robust, easy, wireless computer with limited functions:

Odo + Current Speed + Avg Speed + Ride time + clock.

That's it.

No HR, altitude, cadence, complex reports, backlighting.

I've moved from FLIGHTDECK (hmmmm) through POLAR CS200 (fiddly) through SUUNTO (wrist-mount) to TOPEAK. Topeak was OK but crap mounting and fell off in the 94.7.

Thanks.

I use a Sigma 1106 DTS and it is plain and simple. One button to select screen and another to reset. It auto starts and stops but you have to unclip it if you have finnished the ride otherwise it starts again. It mounts either on the stem or bars with rubber o-rings. Mine is white and not silver like this one. It cost me about R600 a year ago.

http://www.gizmodesk.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/04/sigma.jpg

I think you may also want max speed, the computer I bought doesnt have that and its annoying when you are really flying down a pass, and you wonder how fast you going. Not a great idea to look down at 70km/h you know Big%20smile

Ja' date=' ja, ja... millions of functions and you need the fingers of a concert pianist to use them. Preferably a degree in applied mathematics. And the patience of Job. And if you lose the tiny-print manual you're stuffed...

That's it.

I've moved from FLIGHTDECK (hmmmm) through POLAR CS200 (fiddly) through SUUNTO (wrist-mount) to TOPEAK. Topeak was OK but crap mounting and fell off in the 94.7.

Thanks.

[/quote']

What was wrong with your flightdeck?

I LOVE mine.

The only way to make it better in my mind would be to add ALT and HR to it, but otherwise it suites me 1000%  Wink

Ja' date=' ja, ja... millions of functions and you need the fingers of a concert pianist to use them. Preferably a degree in applied mathematics. And the patience of Job. And if you lose the tiny-print manual you're stuffed...

That's it.

Thanks.

[/quote']

Cateye Velo8 cordless , the have what you want and are as tough as nails . ive had a few and they never gave me a moments uphill.

Try the Beta range. 1 button to control all the basic functions.

The new Knog Nerds aswell. The screen is actually the button.

http://www.yann-g.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/knog_nerd.jpg

Thanks, gentlemen!

Will look at the suggestions and give feedback.

My son is riding with a Knog at the moment. Beautifully-designed (like most of the Knog stuff) but a bit erratic. Has been in for repairs and still not reliable. Cuts out at certain speeds and on Sunday the sensor "migrated" into the front spokes...

I think he paid about R800.00 for it.

The cat eye Astral 8 it the best and most simple...you get average speed, current speed, time, ride time, cadence, max speed, distance, odo and it goes to your back wheel which means if you ever want to ride indoors you can still have all the funtions.

Go for a Cateye Velo 8. They pretty inexpensive(Approx R300) and includes max, average, trip, odo, time etc. All basic, useful functions. The mounting was secure too. I never worried about losing it on a trail.  

Wired or wireless is your choice. My experience with ently level wireless computers was not great. Had a Tactix 2 wireless which would pick up signals from anything electronic. Sitting in my office my bike was doing 100km/h next to my desk.

Sitting in my office my bike was doing 100km/h next to my desk.

gee wizz. What chain rings do you have on there Confused