Cycling in Mozambique

jcbgrace

Hi

Does anyone know if it is possible to do any mnt biking in the Tofo area of Mozambique? too sandy?

I am there over New Years and wondering if its worth taking a bike with.

Thanks Kindly!

Havent been to Tofu but have been to Guinjata which is just there. I wouldnt have taken a bike to Guinjata. Sand, sand and more sand. Doesnt make for the greatest of riding. Not sure what is further inland other, other side of the highway.

I'm sure you will find places to ride, if you take the road to Inhambane or towards Bara Lodge, two track road. I'm sure you will be able to ride some there.

Just make sure you do not let your bike out of your sight or you might have to enlist the services of Detective Yang..

Won't catch me offroading in Moz, landmines everywhere.

They are not even sure where all the landmines are in Moz.

Saw them de-mining right next to the main road to the north just north of  Xai-Xai in 2000, I mean right up to the tarmac was a de-markated de-mining area.

Tofu itself is very sandy, towards inhambane is less.  And you have the best  halfway stop aswell, bar babalaza  Thumbs%20Up

You'll be able to ride, however, it won't be the most exciting ride ever. Tofu only has dirt roads running out towards to old slave memorial and then a mix of tar, well sort of, and dirt roads down to Inhambane and Barra. Everything else is sand...

If you do take your bike, get a 50L camelback... During December it averages around 40'C there and almost never drops below 35'C, not even at night!

Enjoy!