CWC WINS COURT CASE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CWC Online

Chris I've been waiting a long time to buy some white bar ends. When are you getting stock?

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It is excellent news but where do you get the wheels from if Mavic themselves have a problem with you cutting out the local distributor?

It is excellent news but where do you get the wheels from if Mavic themselves have a problem with you cutting out the local distributor?

My guess would be a European wholesaler?

Some answers:

Stringbean. Chris jnr brings many different items in . Campy, Shimano, Fizik ect ect. Go to www.cwcycles.co.za and have a look at what he has.

Mampara: Chris jnr brings pro stuff from different suppliers in Europe and other places. All the stock that he brings in comes from official agents. For excample: The agent or distr of Mavic in France sit with plenty stock which he wants to get rid of but he cant cut the price in France. Now what will he do? He will contact someone outside France and make him a offer to buy the wheels. We then buy it and if anything happens to it he will still carry the warenty. PLEASE TAKE NOTE

This is only a explanation and I do not say that we get our Mavic from the French agent.

We can also get stock from different manufacturers. Chris jnr and myself have some good contacts that we biuld up over the last 20/30 years.  

Beleive me . You guys are going to spend so much money on bargains thats coming your way from CWC that you will not know what to do with all the bargains. We have so many plans for you the cyclists. 2010 in not only going to be the year for soccer. You the cyclist is going to have a festive year as well.

.... Yes we do import it directly and bypass the local agent. That why we can give it at such a good price to you all.

Maybe I am missing the point. I understand why the manufacturer would be supporting their official agent by getting tough with an "unofficial supplier".

What does "import directly" mean? Do you source directly from the manufacturer? If so why were they taking you to court?

I can not comment on how CWC do their importing, but "importing directly" is a spin-term for importing via another source. Basically one gets it for a better price and/or terms from someone else. Either it is a retailer or wholeseller selling at below factory cost (unlikley) or it implies that different markets get the products for a different price and terms (i.e. some countries get a better deal/price) as their market is more competitive.

That is sign of a NOT free or open market and which might cause monopolistic trade activities (some markets get milked for the max). And now with our free/quick/easy communications (internet, www) one easily finds out that one pays too much. That abritage advantage (same stuff, different prices at different places)  is what some direct/gray importers are making use of. Good for them; good for the consumer - as long as the quality/age/etc is the same!

You guys are going to spend so much money on bargains thats coming your way from CWC that you will not know what to do with all the bargains. We have so many plans for you the cyclists.

it sounds absolutely amazing but I'm actually dreading seeing more.

Chris . I see that you have no more Mavic Ultimates left on your site. When will you get some in again and will the price be the same? I desperatly needs one set before Christmas. I saw the two sets that Wicus got for his wife and himself yesterday afternoon. Fantastic .

I want the same. I have also PM you last night.  Well done.

You guys are going to spend so much money on bargains thats coming your way from CWC that you will not know what to do with all the bargains. We have so many plans for you the cyclists.

it sounds absolutely amazing but I'm actually dreading seeing more.

Uh-oh I can myself getting into some trouble over this, I will use the "Easier to ask for forgiveness than permission" tactic. So maybe you will see me in, the wife hunting threads soon, I will be the oke with kick-ass bike gear.

Whoa .... stop the bus coz I'm confused.

Why would Mavic allow someone else to buy stock directly thereby bypassing the local agent.

Does this mean the term 'sole agent' means diddly-squat??  

Whoa .... stop the bus coz I'm confused.

Why would Mavic allow someone else to buy stock directly thereby bypassing the local agent.

Does this mean the term 'sole agent' means diddly-squat??  

If you go to New York and buy a set of Mavics and take them home - Mavic and the SA sole-agent can not stop you. Maybe SARS can stop you, but you have no commercial obligation towards the SA sole-agent.

Now if you buy from the same shop in New York (who is having a monster sale on) 24 set of wheels and bring them home and sell them to your racing team members, etc - and if you keep SARS happy - its your own activity. Your mates are happy as the price is low and they have a person-to-person sales experience. Especially if you come to an agreement regarding a waranty etc. And you can call it direct-importing.... as you are doing it directly yourself.

But it is not very likley that you can buy it directly from the Mavic HQ / factory.

The above - there are other variations as well.

If the prices/products/services were fairly similar all over our little blue planet than the above would not be an issue....
PeterM2009-12-03 09:25:12

Well Done CWC!!

I look forward to my Crossmax SLR's arriving!

Bought mine from CWC - prompt service and a brilliant wheelset. Very Happy.

so are these wheels so much cheaper at retail outlets outside SA that one con import them i.e. pay freight costs, duties, vat etc and still sell them at less than the 'sole agent' can when he buys them for the same as any other retail agent around the world?

so are these wheels so much cheaper at retail outlets outside SA that one con import them i.e. pay freight costs' date=' duties, vat etc and still sell them at less than the 'sole agent' can when he buys them for the same as any other retail agent around the world?[/quote']

I do not know the specific case regarding those wheels.

But there are many products that have different prices in different countries for many reasons, such as:

- Different infrastructure, overheads, labour, etc costs

- different import duties and taxes

- different mark ups - normally: the higher the competition the lower the markup,

- different market needs

- different laws - anti dumping laws - some countries do not have anti dumping laws and old / surplus stuff gets dumped, even if it destroys the local manufactures

- changing exchange rates - big issue in SA, especially in the past; now our SA Rand is strong so importing is "cheap" (and our SA exports are expensive over the water)

- different brand strength - if brand XYZ is really HOT in Chile than you CAN charge more (higher mark up) in that country; if it is a no-name-brand then one has to sell it at a very low price just to gain some market share.

- cost / type of warranty

- and others

Have a look at some overseas cycling stuff websites and see what they offer. Best to talk to your mates or hubbers and see what worked well for them.

If you look at the cost points above - you can see where you can save if you import directly.
PeterM2009-12-04 01:10:38