Need a "Toyota" Mountain Bike

Plentipotential

Over the last 14 months I have spent a shed load of cash, but more importantly time keeping my bike on the road.

8000 km's and I have worn out 2 sets of wheel bearings in each wheel, rear shock service (blown seals), front fork service x 3, 2 rear gear cables, 1 freehub, large front ring (R1200.00) 1 rear cassette, 3 head set bearings, 1 BB and countless chains, tyres and brake pads.

I presume I'm hard on the components, the bike shop guys just shake their heads at me while the owner rubs her hands in delight.

Does the indestructable bike exist? I'm almost reluctant to go out riding as the frequency of maintainance needed increases as the bike ages!
Plentipotential2009-12-02 06:44:16

I deduce from your comment that your LBS is Linden Cycles...

Why don't you do what I do? Build up a cheap single speed with a rigid fork and use it for your muddiest, roughest rides. There is very little damage you can do to a single speed. The cogs and chain are tougher than a geared bike and will last much longer.

Save your racing machine for the rides/races that have no mud or river crossings.

Selfs 'n Toyota sal breek as jy dit deur jou gat trek.

Perhaps you could be so kind as to give a constructive awnser to a constructive question instead of making assumptions about the way I treat my equipment. Either that or stay in the general slagging threads to keep your post counts in the forum whore totals. Thanks for your consideration.

Over the last 14 months I have spent a shed load of cash' date=' but more importantly time keeping my bike on the road.

8000 km's and I have worn out 2 sets of wheel bearings in each wheel, rear shock service (blown seals), front fork service x 3, 2 rear gear cables, 1 freehub, large front ring (R1200.00) 1 rear cassette, 3 head set bearings, 1 BB and countless chains, tyres and brake pads.

I presume I'm hard on the components, the bike shop guys just shake their heads at me while the owner rubs her hands in delight.

Does the indestructable bike exist? I'm almost reluctant to go out riding as the frequency of maintainance needed increases as the bike ages!
[/quote']

Fork service is a maintenance thing.

What hubs do you have on there?

Did you spend R1200 on a chainring or the whole lot? I've never had to change my chainring.

What sort of conditions are you riding in? Are you cleaning the bike properly?

Most of it sounds like wear and tear stuff

Well, I've done 4000km on my current XT groupset and have not even replaced a chain or brake pads yet. It depends on where you ride, how you ride, how you clean and with what you clean.

Mountain biking by its very nature is tougher on components. I am more of a roadie than a MTB'er but I do the odd MTB ride so for what it is worth maybe you could consider saving up for higher ranged components that could be more durable?

Selfs 'n Toyota sal breek as jy dit deur jou gat trek.

Perhaps you could be so kind as to give a constructive awnser to a constructive question instead of making assumptions about the way I treat my equipment. Either that or stay in the general slagging threads to keep your post counts in the forum whore totals. Thanks for your consideration.

Clap

I am no expert but sometimes simplest is best. Riaan Manser took what we would all consider an inferior bike around Africa. Fine, he had issues and should have visite Johan to learn how to do repairs but my point is that he totally hammered that Mongoose. So, perhaps look at the cheaper end of the scale and not the lighter end. So instead of going for XTR look at Deore. Heavier = more solid.

Thats just my 2c. Use it dont use it Smile

Well' date=' I've done 4000km on my current XT groupset and have not even replaced a chain or brake pads yet. It depends on where you ride, how you ride, how you clean and with what you clean.[/quote']

Thing is, that when you eventually do replace your chain, the entire drivetrain is also gonna need to be replaced. Damn man 4000km's?? Thats a fortune without replacing anything. Maybe you should give lessons, coz I think I really really really take good care of my drivetrain and I cant even get a 1000k's out of it.

However, I do push heavier gears most of the time, coz I ride with a low cadence, just how I like it.

So.... share the drive train secrets with us if you will?

Mountain biking by its very nature is tougher on components. I am more of a roadie than a MTB'er but I do the odd MTB ride so for what it is worth maybe you could consider saving up for higher ranged components that could be more durable?

He already has full XT groupset, don't really get better than that for durability. Maybe lighter but not tougher.

Then again, I find an XT chain to last as long as an ordinary Deore chain.

Same with cassettes.

Well' date=' I've done 4000km on my current XT groupset and have not even replaced a chain or brake pads yet. It depends on where you ride, how you ride, how you clean and with what you clean.[/quote']

Thing is, that when you eventually do replace your chain, the entire drivetrain is also gonna need to be replaced. Damn man 4000km's?? Thats a fortune without replacing anything. Maybe you should give lessons, coz I think I really really really take good care of my drivetrain and I cant even get a 1000k's out of it.

However, I do push heavier gears most of the time, coz I ride with a low cadence, just how I like it.

So.... share the drive train secrets with us if you will?

I am with Para on this one.......have done about 5000km on my SRAM with not ONE $$$ spent.  Not one.  Pads still ok.  Same chain.  Same drive train.

A good cleaning after every ride and not riding in mud EVERY opportunity you get will get you a long way!!!!!

Changing a chain every 5000km should see no issues if you keep it clean and ride in the dry.....

My 2 c

Thanks for the replies so far. Chains I replace with a mid range shimano brand, one just below xt I think, often, this has saved the cassette and front rings. I use the 13" ruler method and get about a 1000km's out of a chain. Try and avoid mud like the plague and remove the chain to wash it once a week.

Wheel bearings and free hub take the most beating, not sure why. I remove and clean once a month. Fork I now service myself after a JB course. BB did last the full 8000 km's.

If possible wash and lube after every ride.

If not possible to do a full degrease everytime then try some rock n' roll lube