fortuner debate

Tumbleweed

My one boss has the 3.0 diesel 4x4 and drives everyday from Kemptonpark to Houghton and does bundu bashing on the weekends. He has never had anything bad to say about the car.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

RTI is a good benchmark...
96 Acura SLX: 506
'93 AM General Hummer: 385
'92 Chevrolet S-10 w/Rugged Trail 3.5-inch lift: 351
'81 Chevrolet K-5 Blazer: 653
'81 Chevrolet K-5 Blazer w/Rugged Trail 2.5-inch lift: 695
'92 Chevrolet K-1500 Blazer: 453
'92 Chevrolet K-1500: 421
'92 Chevrolet K-2500HD turbo diesel: 365
'92 Chevrolet K-3500 Crew Cab dually: 303
'94 Chevy S-10 ZR2: 420
'94 Chevy K-2500 Suburban: 401
'95 Chevy ZR2 Extended Cab: 336
'95 Chevy Blazer 2-dr:. 405
'96 Chevy K-1500 extended-cab: 376
'96 Chevy Tahoe LS: 433
'92 Dodge Ramcharger: 613
'92 Dodge Dakota Club Cab: 393
'92 Dodge W150: 526
'92 Dodge W250 Cummins: 372
'92 Dodge W250 Cummins w/Natl. Spring 3-inch lift: 406
'94 Dodge Ram 1500: 556
'95 Dodge Ram BR2500 Club Cab: 431
'92 Ford Explorer 4-dr.: 460
'92 Ford Explorer 4-dr. w/Superlift 4-inch lift :492
'92 Ford Bronco: 516
'93 Ford Ranger SuperCab: 416
'92 Ford F-150 Flareside: 471
'92 Ford F-150: 484
'92 F-350 Crew Cab w/Mac's Spring Shop 2-inch lift: 405
'94 Ford Ranger SuperCab: 406
'94 Ford Explorer Limited 4-dr.: 443
'94 Ford F-250 SuperCab: 383
'95 Ford F-250 SuperCab: 406
'95 Ford Explorer 2-dr.: 391
'95 Ford Explorer 4-dr.: 352
'97 Ford F-150 SuperCab: 441
'92 GMC Sonoma: 354
'93 GMC Sonoma Club Coupe: 334
'92 GMC K-1500 Suburban: 342
'92 GMC K-3500 Crew Cab: 338
'95 GMC K-1500 Club Coupe: 387
'95 GMC Jimmy 4-dr.: 371
'93 Isuzu Rodeo LS: 435
'92 Isuzu Trooper LS 4-dr.: 497
'93 Isuzu Trooper LS 2-dr.: 508
'93 Isuzu Trooper RS 2-dr.: 529
'94 Isuzu Rodeo LS: 454
'96 Isuzu Rodeo: 464
'75 Jeep DJ-5D: 556
'92 Jeep Cherokee 4-dr.: 399
'92 Jeep Grand Cherokee: 458
'93 Jeep Grand Cherokee: 448
'93 Jeep Grand Cherokee: 439
'96 Jeep Grand Cherokee: 422
'96 Jeep Wrangler: 357
'96 Jeep Wrangler w/Pro-Comp 2.5-inch lift:532
'97 Jeep Wrangler:532
'96 Kia Sportage: 471
'94 Land Rover Defender 90: 580
'95 Land Rover DIscovery: 588
'94 Mazda B4000 Cab Plus: 409
'92 Mitsubishi Montero 4-dr.: 391
'92 Nissan Pathfinder: 511
'96 Nissan Pathfinder: 466
'92 Oldsmobile Bravada 4-dr.: 411
'92 Range Rover County: 670
'93 Range Rover County LWB: 588
'96 Range Rover 4.0SE: 600
'92 Suzuki Sidekick 4-dr.: 379
'96 Suzuki Sidekick Sport: 440
'96 Suzuki X-90: 441
'93 Toyota 4Runner:441
'93 Toyota Land Cruiser: 593
'93 Toyota T100: 407
'95 Toyota T100 XtraCab:369
'96 Toyota Tacoma: 435

WHAT!!!!!!! No Toyota Yaris in the list??????? We drove a 4x4 route from somewhere to Wupperthal in the Seder Berge last year with a Yaris. We even helped to extract a Nissan where it was stuck. Awesome lttle offroad car........ It MUST be a rented one .... from AVIS nogal though!!!!!!!!!

The whole 4x4 thingie is just a bunch of hype. If you really want to see which cars really work on verrrry verrrry bad roads visit Angola. No Fords, Mazda's, Nissans or Landrovers. Toyota is the only one (all models form the Cruisers, 2nd hand RAV 4's to the Yaris) that really survive there.

Mitsubushi's you also find and Izuzu's as well. You normally hear them approaching from very far away as everything on them rattles loose and falls off eventually. They are bought by contractors who get them very cheaply form the middle east.

• 3 months later...

Sorry to re-hash an old argument that originated from VERY sad circumstances but isn't the Lexus SUV that Toyota are now pulling from the global market just a rebadged Fortuner.  SA didn't take to the Lexus market too well so release the same car under Toyota.

Bit scary if it is because I know it is a v popular car in SA!!!  But no mention in any of the news stories that the Fortuner is being checked.

Sorry to re-hash an old argument that originated from VERY sad circumstances but isn't the Lexus SUV that Toyota are now pulling from the global market just a rebadged Fortuner.  SA didn't take to the Lexus market too well so release the same car under Toyota.

Bit scary if it is because I know it is a v popular car in SA!!!  But no mention in any of the news stories that the Fortuner is being checked.

No, not at all.

The Fortuner is just a rebadged hilux.

As far as I know the do not share the same susspension or chassy?

what issue 

I've heard people call it a frontrunner... Are they dyslexic or stooopid?

Maybe they are fortunate......LOL

Looks like a fortuner?

They appear to be referring to the 2010 460GX only though. Maybe it's only this one that has the problem.

How do you fit stability control to a chassis that is based on a Hilux?

Looks like a fortuner?

They appear to be referring to the 2010 460GX only though. Maybe it's only this one that has the problem.

How do you fit stability control to a chassis that is based on a Hilux?

My thoughts really.  Hopefully it's not a case of, it's in Africa so need to worry.  Be very sad if it was found out that similar problems existed but no one bothered to own up to it.

Been unpgrading my suspension on my Prado and had a long chat with this suspension guru about the Fortuner. The new facelifted version doesnt seem to have the same problem as the old one. The tyres and shocks that were installed werent up to the job. It is a higher spec car that is looking to fit into a certain market segment so some areas had some cost cutting done to squeeze it in.

It is also a difficult car to produce in so far as satisfying the average user. Jan Beerboep wants a car that can carry all his cases of beer at 160kays down the N3 and climb that mountain and rip up the local countryside so he can take his poppie for a romantic dop.

Before the advent of the modern SUV most people used to take Landies if they were going anywhere where offroading was required. To get there you had to drive 500kays on a highway. Guys were doing 120 plus in these things and they often came short. If you've been in a Defender at 120 plus and you are prone to seasickness you are in trouble. I had a 90 2.8i that had the 2.8 BMW engine. I could take on a GTi at pull off and cruise at 160 easily. Absolute madness. It was a difficult car to drive offroad. Any slight movement in throttle and this car would wheelspin when traction was low.

To my original point. You cannot drive the Fortuner and any other 4x4 likes it a 328!

To my original point. You cannot drive the Fortuner and any other 4x4 likes it a 328!

I agree -but this holds for ANY 4x4/SUV...

Why then is the Fortuner singled out as being so adept at driving on its roof???

I have a Patrol and have never felt even close to any problem. I had an incident with my Discovery (which was my first 4x4) some years ago where I did something I should not have, but it still managed to stay upright. I bet a Fortuner would have rolled...

Sorry I missed this origonal debate. Heard lots of bad stuff about Fortuners, but a lot was from Landrover salesmen.

If you read the manual it actual says that the car is top heavy and could roll if not driven properly (something along those lines)

That's why I stick to the Best 4x4

My 1988 Landcruiser S/W 300 000k's and goes perfectly. All origonal engine as well, except for service spares.

I'm not saying that the Fortuner is without any fault. The shocks and the tyres in the pre-face lift seems to be that.

It is also a vehicle based on a bakkie chassis. Loading in a bakkie is totally different. I had a single cab Hi-Lux 4x4 which was very difficult to handle on dirt roads when unladen. Throw 2 sacks of cement in the back and it made the world of difference.

I wonder what the difference in weight between a Fortuner and Patrol is?

Sorry I missed this origonal debate. Heard lots of bad stuff about Fortuners' date=' but a lot was from Landrover salesmen.

If you read the manual it actual says that the car is top heavy and could roll if not driven properly (something along those lines)

That's why I stick to the Best 4x4

My 1988 Landcruiser S/W 300 000k's and goes perfectly. All origonal engine as well, except for service spares.
[/quote']

Is that an 80? If I could find a nice 80 turbo diesel I would buy it in a flash.Big%20smile

I wonder what the difference in weight between a Fortuner and Patrol is?

The Fortuner is quoted at 1800kg, the Patrol at 2360kg.

Heights are 1885mm  for the Patrol versus 1790mm for the Fortuner. Width is  1840mm for both.

The Patrol's roll over angle is quoted at 49deg.

The only figure I could find for the Fortuner is 0deg, so I suppose that figures...

We had the new Fortuner for just over a year now. I know nothing of all that technical stuff, but we really enjoy our car. Took it to Namibia last year with a notoriously unbalanced trailer, and never had any problems, even when we had to swerve out of the road to avoid a BMW laying on its roof. When we first got it, my hubby really tried to unbalance it on a dirt road, but the stability control kicked in before it even start to drift. My teenager son found it pretty boring. As for its size - with two teenagers and a big husband we use all the space. Maybe I'm not so up to date with this things, but I dont know of any problems with the facelift model.

I think that the bottom line is that you need to always be aware of the vehicle's limitations. These SUV's have a widespread following and are probably very good value for money for families that cannot afford a new Prado etc.

The problem is that the motor manufacturers get led by the nose. they tend to try and build cars that we want - often ignoring the compromises involved.

What is the top end "highway" speed of a Fortuner? Over 160? Well that's too fast for something so tall and top heavy. Now most sensible people will realise that the car is actually a bit too fast for it's own good - but then you get a bunch who reckon that if it's built to go that fast then they will be fine - stability control will save them.

I drove an S66 AMG Merc on Swartkops a couple of years ago. The electronics in this thing are breathtaking. You can drive like a total **** and the car takes care of everything. You can streak around the track - hit the brakes as hard as possible at the end of the straight and just turn. It corners like a go cart.

This got me thinking though. After I get used to this, then put me in a car without all this stuff and I am going to crash pretty soon. The other thing is that all the other road users don't have this magic so they are not going to play this game with me in a life or death situation?

aaaaaaaaaand I'm going to resist joining this debate ...

I have a 4x4 4L auto - "old" model and I'm not planning on selling it soon ...

Would much rather chat about Clarens 2mrw ... cant wait - I hear we have to climb a mountain or two ...Evil%20Smile