fortuner debate

Tumbleweed

The problem with the Fortuner is the Drivers. Its technically over powered for its class of vehicle' date=' thats why it goes like hell, and many people who should have bought 3 or 5 series BMW or Audi A4 or A6 bought a Fortuner. They then drive them like sport sedans and wonder why they fall over.

Try drive a Defender, your range rover vogue, land cruiser, Prado, Pajero, like the idoits who drive SUVS like sedans,I bet they fall over too. The reason why the  X3,X5, Q7, Q5,X6 and the Subarus are all developed, is for those people.

Yes, offroad ability trades off every possible, improvement for on raod performance, its just the nature of the design challenge.

I have had a Fortuner for bout 3 years now, I also drive a Hilux with the same motor. The Hilux is a great on road cruiser, definitely easier on the tar and the cross wind etc, it does not suit the family side either, however, off road,  I spend most days drifting travelling on dirt.

Fortuner sits firm. I use it for the long dirt hauls.

I have a contact that work with Toyota that did all the suspension checks, i.t.o design and overhaul. Apparently, all the geometry is consistent with all the vehicles in it class.

Just my 2c.
[/quote']

You have hit the nail on the head.

I have had my fortuner for three and a half years and haven't had a single issue with it other than a new clutch after 130 000 km.

I use it to go to MOZ every year as well as trips to Mabibi, Botswana, CT and Josies.

Never let me down. Never got stuck.

What I don't do with it is:

Stupid 4X4 riding the point of which is to break the expensive add-ons people put on their cars so they can look at other SUV's and go "that's not a real 4X4". Most SUVs, like the fortuner, subaru etc. are more than capable of taking a family just about anywhere they want to go on holiday. Whether or not they can complete a purpose built 4X4 track is irrelevant. Who the hell wants to be jolted around on purpose?

Racing. Yes, it can do nearly 200 km/h. Drive 200 on a dirt road around a corner with a top heavy SUV pulling a trailer and then blame the car for trying to kill you. Stupid. If you want to do that buy a rally car or something.

The Fortuner may not be the best thing since sliced bread but it is a reliable, versatile, fun and value for money vehicle that has served me and my family well.

Most people who are anti something don't own it.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

TZmbt - you should take your tuna and go and do some 4X4 routes! Not the crazy stuff, but the ones as seen on 4X4 veldroetes and the ones shown in SA 4X4, Wegry and Leisure Wheels, which I'm sure you read. It's great fun, and if you know your car, you shouldn't break anything.

I use the Fortuner as a yardstick - if the tuna makes it on a route, my troll should not even break a sweat...LOL

"Most people who are anti something don't own it."

ya well perhaps they don't own it because they are anti the "it" for a good reason....

like maybe its for bunny hugging reasons that they don't like it

or maybe it's safety related fears

or maybe its the wrong image projector

or

or

or

or

The best Bakkie I have driven is an old Chevy El Camino...Can't go over 80km/h so no problem of it falling off the road...

There is no replacement for displacement.

don't you people have work to do???

Yes, but this is marginally more entertaining...

The Fortuner is Value for money thats all i can say....

6 guys 8 bikes down to Cape Town this year for the Argus and we did 140km an hour...enough power and speed....

don't you people have work to do???

Yes' date=' but this is marginally more entertaining...

[/quote']

this time of year there is nothing much that entertain me ... not even Christmas gifts...except if it is a new mtb Confused ...all i can think of now is ... HOLIDAY

A Toyota Land Cruiser is the most capable off road vehicle ever built... end of story. It doesn't matter if it is a 1980 GX or a 2009 Prada. The Hilux in 4x4 is just as good.

A Land Rover is not a vehicle, it is a full time job.

The Fortuner is a good vehicle, no doubt about that, but it does have some design issues. I would not tow anything with this vehicle... just dangerous. Australians developed a "wing" for the Fortuner that keeps the back on the road when towing.

In my not so humble opinion, the best value for money, capable, versatile and useable "4x4" style vehicle is the Nissan Double Cab Hardbody version. With a 3 litre Diesel, you do not even need 4x4. Not exactly spacious in the back but enough for skinny cyclists and kids and dogs.

Why has nobody mentioned Mitsubishi? The two door Pajeros are superb in the bush and the older Rodeo double cabs are perfect for anything in Southern Africa.

robc - why no mention of the Patrol? Same capabilty as the 'Cruiser, just not as well known in SA...

robc - why no mention of the Patrol? Same capabilty as the 'Cruiser' date=' just not as well known in SA...[/quote']

your joking right. nothing compares to A Land Cruiser

20091208_024621_toyota_logo_200.jpg

Astana - it's obvious you drive a Toyota!

I know quite a few Aussies and oil sheiks in the middle east who'll disagree with you.

What's all this Land Rover is a full time job crap? Are you okes stuck in the 70's or something? Sure if you get a Series Landy, you gonna be wrenching probably more than driving, but what's wrong with a new Defender or Disco? I know Disco had quality issue in the last and prior to that generations, but the current one? 

What's all this Land Rover is a full time job crap? Are you okes stuck in the 70's or something? Sure if you get a Series Landy' date=' you gonna be wrenching probably more than driving, but what's wrong with a new Defender or Disco? I know Disco had quality issue in the last and prior to that generations, but the current one? 

[/quote'] Disc 3 was awesome, presume the 4 will be better Clap

What's all this Land Rover is a full time job crap? Are you okes stuck in the 70's or something? Sure if you get a Series Landy' date=' you gonna be wrenching probably more than driving, but what's wrong with a new Defender or Disco? I know Disco had quality issue in the last and prior to that generations, but the current one? 

[/quote'] Disc 3 was awesome, presume the 4 will be better Clap

Exactly. And on that quality, surely the Defender is a capable purpose built 4x4 tool?

Exactly. And on that quality' date=' surely the Defender is a capable purpose built 4x4 tool?

[/quote']  Have seen what they can do them myself with the proof of it.  My brother in law used them in die police "onluste eenheid"   They abused the living daylights out of it and could'nt turn them over for one thing