asking for advice

Gary.j

Hi everyone,

I am new to this forum and I can see there is an overwhelming amount of experience here so here goes.

I did some social/fun mountain biking for about a year , I did about 20 to 30 km a day but gave up due to a new job and didnt have enough time, I have started riding again but mostly on weekends I am really enjoying it and want to start riding in events, my questions are the following:

I have an entry level Mongoose hardtail. Obviously to me its a great bike because i have never ridden another bike. If it makes a big difference then I would like to upgrade or should I rather use the frame I have and upgrade the fork and groupset etc. Some of the tracks i ride are hard on a bike (big rocks and dry river beds) bear in mind i am a beginner and on the wrong side of 40 yrs. Also if I upgrade should I go hardtail or not. By the way my bike has never let me down or broken and sometimes i drive downhill on a rocky bad road so fast i shake so much i cant even see properly, so dont get in my way. also where to buy , because i live in nowhere.

any advice will be appreciated

".... sometimes i drive downhill on a rocky bad road so fast i shake so much i cant even see properly, so dont get in my way."

Awesome. You'll go far on this forumThumbs%20Up

Welcome to the hub, Gary. I would say enter events with distances you and your bike can handle for now. Eventually you'll get better and you'll have more insight into what kind of bike is suitable for you and your improved skills. Learn about bikes, componentry and prices before you start spending big Rs.

dewd, if the new Bicycling Mag did not make a typo and you keen on Mongoose there is a shweet deal, dual-suspension bike to solve all (most) of your problems....

Being on the wrong side of 40 the shock under your rear end will help too.

Good to know if im still alive at 40 ill still be able to try and kill myself on the downhill....

dewd' date=' if the new Bicycling Mag did not make a typo and you keen on Mongoose there is a shweet deal, dual-suspension bike to solve all (most) of your problems....

Good to know if im still alive at 40 ill still be able to try and kill myself on the downhill....
[/quote']

See, he also said it. Dual sus are for old people! Clap

Hi everyone' date=' [/quote']

Hi Gary.  Or OOM Gary?  Welcome to the wonderful screwed up interesting world of the Hub Big%20smile

I am new to this forum and I can see there is an overwhelming amount of experience here so here goes.

And a LOT of BS......WinkBig%20smile

I have an entry level Mongoose hardtail. Obviously to me its a great bike because i have never ridden another bike. If it makes a big difference then I would like to upgrade or should I rather use the frame I have and upgrade the fork and groupset etc.

Gary.  My advice would be so ride that bike you have into the ground and slowly build up a new bike that you will enjoy to the fullest.  Easier on the cash flow and you hand pick your components' date=' colors etc.

Your Mongoose is more than enough for now to enjoy the ride and go out every day. 

Save up and get yourself a "Ferrari"......i.e. the bike you will fall in love with

Some of the tracks i ride are hard on a bike (big rocks and dry river beds) bear in mind i am a beginner and on the wrong side of 40 yrs.

Well......any frame would do......my heavy hardtail have gone  to places unimaginable.....still good.

Getting a softale will help with the comfort though.....Wink

Also if I upgrade should I go hardtail or not. By the way my bike has never let me down or broken and sometimes i drive downhill on a rocky bad road so fast i shake so much i cant even see properly' date=' so dont get in my way.[/quote'] 

LOL......I have the same.....once that hardtail starts running away on the rocks, you better make space.  Big%20smile

If you have the $$ and you are going to upgrade, get the softail.  At your oom age, comfort is half the ride.  Tongue

also where to buy ' date=' because i live in nowhere.
[/quote']

Define "nowhere"......Limpopo is not that far away....I used to drive to Pretoria from Phalaborwa just to come get a kiss from the GF.......drive back just before 8 in the morning....clocking in at work.  ClapLOL

Good luck with the training and the upgrading......that is afterall half the experience!!! 

dewd' date=' if the new Bicycling Mag did not make a typo and you keen on Mongoose there is a shweet deal, dual-suspension bike to solve all (most) of your problems....

[/quote']

AngryAngry  Dont start .. you get no reeses peacesWink

welcome 1st off

your goose will keep you in good stead until your willing to pay the outrageous bike prices of something a little better. I had one tyax elite & rode that thing to hell & back. Components got moeg but the frame is still great & is hanging in the garage so.....

Where exactly is your no mans land that you live at ?. Usually if you wanna get some good 2nd hand parts to upgrade then you are on the right forum. Not alway the right time but youll strike up some nice deals if you get there 1st.

BTW youre still spring chicken - I see & often ride rough terrain with an old man of 67. He sometimes whips my butt, scary but true Embarrassed

[/quote']

AngryAngry  Dont start .. you get no reeses peacesWink

Not.another.word.promise.

Oh, and welcome to the hub Gaaaaaaarrrrreeeeeeeeeee!! Big%20smile

Thanks for the advice Piernas. The rest of you: 40 IS NOT OLD, be patient you will get there sooner than you think, so first problem is solved by dirt girl hard tail it is.

Spinnekop no one has ever driven that far just for a KISS. But the funny thing is nowhere is Phalaborwa for the past 3 years.

What impresses me is how fast you can post from Phalaborwa! Cleft stick with runner must be working overtime.....

Welcome to the Hub. Here you will get great advice, ripped off, laughed at and frustrated and amused.

You taking the advice of Dirty*Chick? Dude, she is young - she is supposed to have a hardtail!

I am also over 40, actually I'm over 46. Welcome to the abuse you are going to get - these laaities have no respect!!!!!!

Gary dont be too sure about the Hardtail! i am fortunate enough to have both and i must admit that i find myself going for the soft tail more often than not, The best advise i can give you is to test ride as many bikes in your price range as possible and your bike will find you! and once you get it sit down with her and explain to her that its going to hurt you more than its gonna hurt her and explain to her because you love her so much you have to give her a really good spanking every now and then but you will take really good care of her

make sense?

Hi gasping, yuh know whats lekker when your 40? kicking someones backside half your age, its just no fun when you are 20.

Makes sense face plant. I was joking about the hardtail bit , just trying to let these dudes know I aint old. Like the way you refer to the bike as a she.

Thanks for the advice Piernas. The rest of you: 40 IS NOT OLD' date=' be patient you will get there sooner than you think, so first problem is solved by dirt girl hard tail it is.[/quote']

Wise move Gary. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise! Big%20smile