Need advice on buying a bike

CuanL

I started riding at the beginning of this year with a fairly old bike and now I'm looking for a decent bike. I need a size 54 road bike.

I need help on where to start looking. I've been told that it's a good idea to look for a second hand bike instead of spending too much on a new bike. I'd appreciate your comments/input.

Thanks

I'm keen to start cycling on a regular basis. Budget is approx R10K- depending what I can get for that amount

Yes' date=' I have all the kit required.

Which bikes do you recommend?
[/quote']

Have a look at the Silverback range of bikes.

The Monterrey according to Bicycling is R11 170

But I do believe that you will find some good deals at reputeable bicycle shops.

Yeah, best to go 2nd hand if you know where the bike has been, and if you know how to look for faults (BB cracks, bust forks etc)

But if you don't, then you can't go wrong with Silverback, Felt or funnily enough Raleigh (with their Inflation beater specials they are a really good option) Merida are also a good option, although lately they're a bit more expensive... Just be sure that for 10 - 12k you're coming away with full 105 gruppo on an Alu bike.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm looking at buying a Felt F85 for R8000. It appears to be prettey good value in terms of what I'm looking for. It has a Shimano 105 groupset, aluminium frame and carbon fork. Peddles aren't included.

What do you think?

Thanks

I'm looking at buying a Felt F85 for R8000. It appears to be prettey good value in terms of what I'm looking for. It has a Shimano 105 groupset' date=' aluminium frame and carbon fork. Peddles aren't included.

What do you think?

Thanks

[/quote']

Not bad, dont think you can go wrong with the Felt. Good price for a decent bike.

I recently bought myself a raleigh Rc3000 Full carbon new.

Cost me R8k.

I know my LBS still has stock if you are interested.