HELP PLEASE - 26" vs 29"

duringd

Hi Everyone

I have got myself into a bit a mess. Whilst having my Giant Anthem 1 Full Sus repaired today, I had a bit of a chat to the owner of the specific LBS. The discussion centered around a beautiful Giant XTC 1  29". What a beaut! This is where the problem arises, I also own a TREK 9.9 OCLV hardtail, so I have some of the best of both worlds as far as the 26" world goes. Now I'm considering crossing over........ HELP PLEASE with your constructive inputs as far as this decision goes!!! 

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Too soon to know, i am waiting another year...

A mate of mine bought the new dual sus Gary Fisher Superfly 29er and is not that convinced...His view so far"Good for long dirt roads, sucks around sharp tight single track"

And also hopefully after a year the prices will drop a bit!

Too soon to know' date=' i am waiting another?year...

?

A mate of mine bought the new dual sus Gary Fisher Superfly 29er and is not that convinced...His view so far"Good for long dirt roads, sucks around sharp tight single track"

?

And also hopefully after a year the prices will drop a bit!
[/quote']

Why will the prices drop, it's not like they have only been around for a year now.

As for the sharp tight bends, the Niners and some other brands I have ridden, deal with this issue quite effectively.

This is one of those polarising Shimano versus Campy debates.

Personally (as most of you know) I'm firmly on the 29er bandwagon. And within the 29er bandwagon I'm firmly on the NINER sub bandwagon.

In my opinion 29ers rolls over bumps a lot easier (more confidence on the downhills), leave you feeling less pummeled after hours and hours of racing, you sit "in" the bike rather than "on" the bike.

Never is indeed a long time but I will never buy another 26" bike.

My recommendation is try one - mine has been ridden by many, many people withtout a negative comment. You're welcome to give mine a go anytime - it's a large. PM me if you're keen...

Thanks for the offer. Unfortunately I am in the Western Cape, so a test ride might be slightly out of the question.

My son has a Gary Fisher full suspension 29er and a single speed 29er. He swears by them and would never go back.

My Epic Partner has the same dilemma. Went from a 26 hardtail, to a 26 Full Suss...and just never got comfortable...now is very much considering a 29 hardtail (NINER). I think he should do it!

I rode a 29er at the "ride before you buy" literaly seconds after getting off my 26 inch. I found the acceleration of the 29er was no where near as good as the 26 (this makes sense; more rotational mass AND your wheels are your final "gear", the smaller they are the better the acceleration).

Furthermore I found that the 26 inch was more nippy through the tight stuff (Also makes sense, the larger the diameter of the wheel, the more the gyroscopic effect keeping you upright).

In all, I was not that impressed with the 29er and would not change my bike for one for the kind of riding I do. 

Wayne King2009-12-29 11:02:36

I rode a 29er at the "ride before you buy" literaly seconds after getting off my 26 inch. I found the acceleration of the 29er was no where near as good as the 26 (this makes sense; more rotational mass AND your wheels are your final "gear"' date=' the smaller they are the better the acceleration).

?

Furthermore I found that the 26 inch was more nippy through the tight stuff (Also makes sense, the larger the diameter of the wheel, the more the gyroscopic effect keeping you upright).

?

In all, I was not that impressed with the 29er and would not?change my bike for one?for the kind of riding?I do.?

?
[/quote']

Wayne, you need to get on a 29'er where the geometry has been thought out meticulously .

Hey guys

I think the 29er hardtail is a really great alternative to getting a dual sus bike.Generally they are sustancially lighter than the average dual sus bike but you are still capable of riding over some pretty rough stuff & not suffer a smashed kidney or 2.The ride is much more comfy & has a stable feeling,although I do agree that the acceleration is a bit slower than a 26 inch.The 29er is also a machine through sand.To sum up,I would recommend a 29er for the purpose of xc racing as apposed to using a dual sus.We stock Niner,& can put you on the saddle of one for around

R 21 500.00

http://bike29.com/blog/uploaded_images/IMG_0113-771322.JPG

I've had my Ellsworth Evolve 29er for 1.5 years now. Before that I rode a Spez Epic. There is no way I will ever go back to a 26er. The way the 29er rolls over rocks and through ruts have taken my cycling to a new level. The argument that they are not as nippy do not really hold any water. The center of gravity on my 29er is lower than on the Epic, so it sure does feel more sure footed. The only disadvantage I can see is acceleration, but that is neglible and does not matter for the type of riding I do. When I got mine there were not a big choice in tires but that problem has also been sorted out.

So for me the answer is simple: 29ers is the way to go.