Riis stripped of Tour de France title

Pantani

I like your post TNT1, just like you, I also see the other side of this. I will never say I agree with doping (in any form), but we forget that cycling is a day-time-job for these guys.  No performance -  no income - that's the bottom line.

Next time any one takes a Red Bull at work to stay awake or alert for a deadline or pop a turbovite or two to get through that presentation as sharp as possible...then we can talk.... I know it sounds like comparing apples with oranges, but the morals stay the same....

Are we not all on a "day time job" with no performance no pay and to compare doping to taking a red bull is not relevant, cyclists CAN take red bull or turbovite with no repocusions, a more apt comparison would be someone taking cocain at work to become creative, stay awake and perform the job of 6 individuals, this is what doping amounts to. Bottom line is it is illegal.

As the old saying goes - Say No To Drugs - they distroy lives and not only that of the user but the loved ones around them.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

All that this knee jerk reaction will achieve is prevent others from coming clean "after the fact"! These coming clean sessions should have been used as a positive spin for the future generations of the sport but in a fashion not too disimilar to our SARFU' date=' international cycling has found a way to shoot itself in the foot.[/quote']

Or we can do as Australia's been doing for YEARS....sweep it under the rug...and nobody will ever know...

I dunno, its amazing....................

Wolfowitz awards his girlfriend an increase and he is kicked out of the highest position in the world bank because he never followed proper channels.

He didnt profit from it, but he admitted it was an oversight and apologised.

...........but that was NOT the issue, the issue was he overstepped the mark, he abused a position, he acted unethically and he had to pay for it.

Here we have some people, who preach clean sport, but have doped themselves and profited from it, who fraudently took all the accolades and money, who skewed the race outcome, who grabbed all the fame and fortune that came with the position with both hands, who stood on the podium and accepted the prize, who probably became quite wealthy on a fraudently achieved position, who courted sponsors and lied to them, who lied to the fans and the public for 10 years, who denied,denied,denied for 10 years.................and you want to forgive him.!!!

Where will that take us.?  

Maybe we should let all the child molesters out now as well, hey, what about the fraudsters, lets just leave them, I mean they can show us where all the others are.!

pointless to get the moral-issue point across I see, in a mans world not such a great example, I appolgise...we all live in glass houses...

pointless to get the moral-issue point across I see' date=' in a mans world not such a great example, I appolgise...we all live in glass houses...

[/quote']

In the immortal words of Manuel "Que??????"Ermm

Just wonder what is behind these sudden attacks of conscience?

Doesn't make any sense, Riis used 10 years ago, has since quit and has team doing some forerunning re prevention etc of doping.

Throw it all away now, why?

Doesn't make any sense' date=' Riis used 10 years ago, has since quit and has team doing some forerunning re prevention etc of doping.

[/quote']

As I said somewhere else,.... "it is surprising".. - methinks he was about to be exposed or was worried he would be in the near future.

If you stay quite for over 10 years, deny everything and lie baldly, its unlikely you would have a sudden pang of conscience and feel it necessary to tell all now!.

Doesn't make any sense' date=' Riis used 10 years ago, has since quit and has team doing some forerunning re prevention etc of doping.

[/quote']

As I said somewhere else,.... "it is surprising".. - methinks he was about to be exposed or was worried he would be in the near future.

If you stay quite for over 10 years, deny everything and lie baldly, its unlikely you would have a sudden pang of conscience and feel it necessary to tell all now!.

Same for the Zabel's Aldag's etc

[/quote']

exactly, as there are so many other doping controversies he hopes that he will get away with it (or a more lenient punishment).. a bit like the weak riders hiding missing the time controls in the mountains but being safe in the numbes of the autobus!

Nope the box he says he left the Jerseys in. He earlier claimed his yellow jersey was in a box at home and it meant nothing to him.

I am a little lost here - If EPO was not knowen about in 96 and was not a banned substance - how can it be called doping.

It that not similar to doing 90km/h in a 100km/h zone and the next day they decided to make it a 70km/h zone. Surely you could not get a fine for doing 90km/h the previous day?

On the flip side - what about sports people who have done their time for banned stubstances at that time, but are now off the banned list are they all goin to be re instated? How are they going to be re numerated for their loss while surving their time?

Well a guy who is in jail for theft certainly does not have a right to be remunerated for loss of income after his sentance is up.

Not sure why they should be re-instated or compensated for being cheats and thieves.