Tubeless, or Not Tubeless...

Village Bicycle

kinda off topic but I got a huge thorn in my road bike tyre the other day, stopped to pull it out and nothing, tyre still good to go and thats with tubes.......and the help of 700x35c knobblies smiley4.gif

that said tubeless on on the mtb.....

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok' date=' got the new XT wheels yesterday, fitted Fast Trak 2Bliss tyres and added 2 cups of Stans to the tyres. Inflated perfectly and lost no pressure over night.

Went riding this morning and got a 3mm long narrow cut from glass and the Stans showered me, the bike and the trail but could not seal this cut at all.

Now do I superglue this cut or do I put a patch on the inside of the tyre?[/quote']

man, thats unluck.........what pressure were you running?

I would say once every six months check and top up because you might get a few punctures in that time and the sealent will eventualy run out or dry up. I have seen guys at the LBS come in cursing because the 2 bliss did not work only to take the tyre off and it was drier than the KALAHARI in there.

Pressure was 2.2 (I'm about 72kg). I will just fix up and try again tomorrow, when my years of trouble free tubeless riding will start :)

Thanks, pretty keen to try it seeing as though i havent finished a ride on my bike, rather next to it(pushing it) because of punctures from thorns, pinches, a burst tube and even the tire liners causing pinches and splits in the tube. What Tires are good other than UST tires?

BIG thumbs-up for tubeless. I'm currently riding Kenda small block 8's, think its a nice all-rounder.

Remeber... plugs dont always work for snakebites...

Had a snakebite that was almost 2 CM long... was stuck in the felt 25km from my car and had to walk back.

Pluging it would not have worked and a patch should have but didnt work either.

Hence even now with tubeless, I still ride with a spare inner tube.

There are so many decent tyres out there. Maxis are a favourite with a lot of guys. I have Specialized fast track 2 bliss front And THE CAPTAIN 2 BLISS back for extra grip and they are fast but tend to slide alot in wet conditions and clog up. Probably the best at present are SCHWALBE rocket rons as they grip and are super lite but come at a premium. CHECK out CRC they have some great tyres at good prices too.

I have seen a special kit at the LBS that will patch slices but as you know these types of punctures are extremely rare as you can see by the posts. 2 bliss will work 95% of the time and the other 5% welll you will either carry a spare tube or walk. I have yet to walk or think of a tube. SO for me it has a 100% success rate so far.

Now do I superglue this cut or do I put a patch on the inside of the tyre?

I have had good success with repairing sidewall cuts on a non-UST tyre running tubeless.

Just stitch it up with dental floss and a needle. A nice criss-cross pattern over the cut.

Then make sure the area is clean and dry and give a generous coating of superglue on the inside and outside of the tyre.

Use the plain old fashioned superglue, not the 2-part stuff that you mix.

Let it dry properly and then you should be good to go.

I have seen a special kit at the LBS that will patch slices but as you know these types of punctures are extremely rare as you can see by the posts. 2 bliss will work 95% of the time and the other 5% welll you will either carry a spare tube or walk. I have yet to walk or think of a tube. SO for me it has a 100% success rate so far.

Yup... i was in the other 5% region... and you only once in you life walk 25km in Carbon MTB shoes.

Bummer! Thats almost as bad as walking 20kms in the mud and rocks at the ILLOVO last year.(and there was no puncture)My SIDI Carbons were nicely taken care of and two moerse blisters on the inside of both heels.Plus bruised ribs and torn R1700 SPEZ bibshorts from a wipeout in the mud. All in all took 5hours20 to do 45km. smiley7.gif Now that was the kakest race I ever had but I got the noddy badge at the end.

BIG thumbs-up for tubeless. I'm currently riding Kenda small block 8's' date=' think its a nice all-rounder.[/quote']

smiley36.gif it never rains in the Free-state does it?

Ok' date=' got the new XT wheels yesterday, fitted Fast Trak 2Bliss tyres and added 2 cups of Stans to the tyres. Inflated perfectly and lost no pressure over night.

Went riding this morning and got a 3mm long narrow cut from glass and the Stans showered me, the bike and the trail but could not seal this cut at all.

Now do I superglue this cut or do I put a patch on the inside of the tyre?[/quote']

a 3mm cut??? Your ONLY problem here is Stans....i.e too thin!!

Now, if you have been using OKO {insert freebie edvert for RAD here} that would have sealed up in such a way thet you wouldnt even have noticed that you had a cut...

@RAD.... feel free to discount my next order in lieu of this free OKO advert LOLLOLLOL

Seriously, you can even cut thin strips (~3mm) of an old tube to use as tyre plugs...no real need for the store bought plugs (they are also not that expensive either...just shop around). You'll need to devise a tool that will be able to "plug" the cut....carry these two items with you and no walking...ever!!

Apart from the above - it is very rarely that one get these serious sort of cuts that are referred to in here....you just have serias bad luck!!

We still have our share of those highveld thunderstorms which can turn any track into a mudfest pretty quickly Wink

Ag no man its all a image thing' date=' use tubes and cheap tyres smiley36.gif smiley36.gif smiley36.gif There is no Question, Just do it man, its like the difference between v brakes and Disc Brakes..[/quote']

Wtf?  Big%20smile

What's wrong with V-brakes?