Tubeless, or Not Tubeless...

Village Bicycle

go tubeless, I have some used stans rim strips for sale......they costs a small fortune in the shops these days.

20100111_042422_rimstrips.jpg

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Think I've got some Stans rim strips lying around too. Now have XT tubeless wheels which are just wonderful.

I've ridden races with big thorns sticking out of my sidewalls and have had no need to stop. I'd like to see someone with tubes doing that. Why fix punctures when a small upgrade (not very costly to maintain) keeps you riding?

Why not consider slime tubes?

I've used them for 2 years now and also not one puncture. Also lighter on the wallet.

[not entirely on topic]

I converted my 29er unicycle to tubeless using the ghetto method and a UST (continental mountain king 2.4). Problem is, It burps on drops over about 1ft.

Do you bikers running tubeless setups find this problem common? Any idea how to deal with it?

Tubeless no contest, specially if you are a heavier guy, you won't have pinch flat issues then. 

You can use the kits to convert a normal rim and tyre to tubeless so thats cheaper and usually lighter, although it can take a bit of time to get the tyre on and sealed.  A rim strip and a latex liquid seals the rim and tyre so its air tight, instead of a tube holding the air.

UST rims and tyres make it easier but are heavier and expensive vs normal rim/tyre combos. 

You can run lower pressure ie. more comfort and grip, no tube pinchflats, most punchtures are sealed instantly, lighter.

You can still get a sidewall cut, but if that happens you can still put a tube and a tyre boot in and get home, just remove the rim strip( a bit messy with the sealant though...

So what pressure range is recommended for tubeless.  Is it the same for 26" and 29"? Mutt2010-01-11 07:42:57

I've progressed from rubber rim strips to the plastic ones (who-oa, I hear you say Wacko), and it's been a good move: much easier inflation, tires stay put - and I'm running 2.25 non-UST tires.

The plastic strips use UST-style removable valves (the ones with the rubber block on the back) and as long as you're careful when you do the install they are completely hassle free. Mine run on OKO sealant right now. Stans is good, but it does make a mess inside the tyre.

[not entirely on topic]
I converted my 29er unicycle to tubeless using the ghetto method and a UST (continental mountain king 2.4). Problem is' date=' It burps on drops over about 1ft.

Do you bikers running tubeless setups find this problem common? Any idea how to deal with it?
[/quote']

Sorry man can't say, I never drop that far Embarrassed

Carbon who makes the plastic ones ?

Bontrager do as far as I know

Bontrager does but I am unsure of which rims they fit in.  Definately Bontrager Rims and I believe Fulcrum Red Metal Rims.

Little-Ben has the Bontrager ones in his Cane Creek Zonos but you are right they do not fit in all. Tried them in my wheels and they didn't, no I don't know off hand which ones they are .... will check tonight if anyone wants to know.

I recommend tubeless highly but just a tip wrt what type of tubeless kit to use. If you get big air or are an aggressive rider try get the rim strip/liner type kit rather than just a valve and rim tape as it seals better and avoids gettin a can burp of air out when you land from high. the Stans and Joes kits have a rubber rim strip which makes the tyre seal better. If you are a XC weight weeny or don't get too much air don't bother with this.

I use tubliss tire at the back and non ust tires up front converted with tubliss strips and have never had problems. I have had sidewall cuts at the back and Tokai is rough on tires. As for Pinch flat resistance, you cannot compare although Ive had that one incident where I had a double blowout using non tubliss tires converted. hit a rock and it pinched right through between the tread, I suppose its bad luck.

I highly recomend maxxis purely for the toughness.

lol Bos is it with maxxis tire's that you had all the mentioned incidents ? smiley17.gif

Ja i heard maxxis are lekker ! will give them a try next time i replace !

Naw Rawoke I was running WTB wolverenes (nice grippy yet fast but not UST) I ran a maxxis crossmark foldable on the front at a stage for almost 2 years without a single puncture, or sidewall slash, the sidewalls did look a bit like it had been ran over by a lawn mower but still no flats! Even the liquid inside must have been long gone. If it aint broken hey!

I now run either the wolverene with a tube in front when I feel like a DH racer but mostly a Monorail wich Im a little dissapointed with doesnt grip that well, however it is light and can be run tubliss just fine. maybe Its just cause I got use to the grip from the Wolverene.