Riders doping

appycyclist

Rider gets injured. CAN not ride. Rider's salary stopped because he cannot ride. Genuine PDI supports parents, etc. No income. Injury not getting better. Desperate financial position. No team support. Rider dopes to try and heal injury. Get caught. Team dumps him sponsor withdraws.

Who really is to blame?

To what extend was the rider exploited?

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Not wanting to get into a huge debate here, but drugs have a genuine pharmaceutical purpose. Anti-doping laws cater for the appropriate use of drugs through a 'Therapeutic Usage Exemption' which enable an athlete to be prescribed drugs to treat a genuine medical condition.

but it does improve muscle mass and density and also bomne density, both f which can be affected by a knee injury due to a lower training load.

Testosterone could be used to speed up recovery so it is plausible that he used it for this purpose.

I believe that way to much hate is being leveled at Nolan due to a mistake made. He is still young, carries a lot of pressure on his shoulders and now has to shoulder the blame for the team folding.

Thats just Bullsh*t.

He will get his suspension. Lots of teams don't fold due to a rider being caught using drugs and I am pretty sure that the Neotel is using this incident as an excuse to exit

Ek ken vir NOLAN goed ,hy bly n baie nice persoon en is een van die vriendelikste ouens in die peliton. sterkte jakkes hou net moed, ek hoop net nie jy lees al die *** wat die mense skryf nie.

but it does improve muscle mass and density and also bomne density' date=' both f which can be affected by a knee injury due to a lower training load.

Testosterone could be used to speed up recovery so it is plausible that he used it for this purpose.

I believe that way to much hate is being leveled at Nolan due to a mistake made. He is still young, carries a lot of pressure on his shoulders and now has to shoulder the blame for the team folding.

Thats just Bullsh*t.

He will get his suspension. Lots of teams don't fold due to a rider being caught using drugs and I am pretty sure that the Neotel is using this incident as an excuse to exit

[/quote']

Biggest problem is him riding in that team... it was/ is not good for him there. He should have moved abroad a long time ago.

lefty - not sure where you've been, but neotel have NOT left the cycling arena. They have merely killed off their pro-team. They still have a big commitment to cycling SA and are doing GREAT things for cycling

It looks like you're blaming everyone and everything except nolan?

He made a **** move and admitted in a written letter that he cheated.

He understands the consequences of his actions, and is waiting for CSA hearing.

The story is that his ban will be 6months - 1year, depending on whether or not he squeals on his suppliers.

Whether or not he will get another pro team ride is another story...

If the testosterone was subscribed to him, and the team was aware of this and forced him to ride they have to carry the blame.

What I don't understand is that in football when a player is injured their salaries is covered by the insurance. Obviously the player loses out on bonuses and such, but they still receive a salary.  Does that not work like that in cycling as well?

lefty - not sure where you've been' date=' but neotel have NOT left the cycling arena. They have merely killed off their pro-team. They still have a big commitment to cycling SA and are doing GREAT things for cycling

It looks like you're blaming everyone and everything except nolan?

He made a **** move and admitted in a written letter that he cheated.

He understands the consequences of his actions, and is waiting for CSA hearing.

The story is that his ban will be 6months - 1year, depending on whether or not he squeals on his suppliers.

Whether or not he will get another pro team ride is another story...[/quote']

So how does this work ? Is it not 2 years Ban right through from Junior to Top Pro Teams for first offense?

Or is CSA handing him a shorter ban to race in SA ? Abroad still 2 year ban then etc.

Anyone can get any drug easily. Don't know why they even bother to find out who the supplier is. It all works up to a mafia out there bringing in these stuff and the loyal lieutenants lower down would never give up their upper rankings - they make way to much money with this.

Anyhow - SA is presumably one of the countries where athletes or anyone can get performance enhancing drugs the easiest. T.I.A.

Astana - i've also heard that SA is one of the easiest countries in the world to get dope.

One of the reasons why so many overseas teams "train" here. And not just cycling, but swimming, running, tennis, the works...

Astana - i've also heard that SA is one of the easiest countries in the world to get dope.

One of the reasons why so many overseas teams "train" here. And not just cycling' date=' but swimming, running, tennis, the works...[/quote']

Yep, not a hear say thing - I can tell you this with certainty. Just pop into Coetzenburg, Stellenbosch over the December holiday and now during January - lot and lots or Athletes training here - personal coaches and team doctors the works.

Sure its the same in Cape town.

Its way easier to "fine tune" the engine over here and head back with a fully serviced engine to compete against the best in the world.

Drug is everywhere and anywhere - not talking party drugs.

One of the reasons why so many overseas teams "train" here. And not just cycling' date=' but swimming, running, tennis, the works...[/quote']

Yep, not a hear say thing - I can tell you this with certainty. Just pop into Coetzenburg, Stellenbosch over the December holiday and now during January - lot and lots or Athletes training here - personal coaches and team doctors the works.

Sure its the same in Cape town.

Its way easier to "fine tune" the engine over here and head back with a fully serviced engine to compete against the best in the world.

Drug is everywhere and anywhere - not talking party drugs.

Hmmm..... interesting view??? you don't think it could also have something to do with weather at this time of year in the cape (as opposed to northern hemisphere)? Exchange rate = cheap destination compared with dry regions of the Med?? good training routes??

Astana - i've also heard that SA is one of the easiest countries in the world to get dope. One of the reasons why so many overseas teams "train" here. And not just cycling' date=' but swimming, running, tennis, the works...[/quote']Yep, not a hear say thing - I can tell you this with certainty. Just pop into Coetzenburg, Stellenbosch over the December holiday and now during January - lot and lots or Athletes training here - personal coaches and team doctors the works.Sure its the same in Cape town.Its way easier to "fine tune" the engine over here and head back with a fully serviced engine to compete against the best in the world.Drug is everywhere and anywhere - not talking party drugs.

?

Hmmm..... interesting view??? you don't think it could also have something to do with weather at this time of year in the cape (as opposed to northern hemisphere)? Exchange rate = cheap destination compared with dry regions of the Med?? good training routes??

yeah, i'm sure all those factors play a role. No matter how amazing our doctors and dope are, if it was snowing like it is in europe, i doubt they would be down in the cape.

BUT - why cape town? why not jhb? or bloem? (ok - im kidding about bloem. we all know why they wont go there) The cape is *packed* with proffesional sportspeople this time of year.

Like astana says - pop into coetzenberg....fandacious2010-01-13 05:54:33