Tips to prevent getting "BikeJacked"

Catatonic_Joe

Hey Guys,

I'm planing to start cycling to work in the near future, can you guys give me any tips to help me prevent getting robbed of my bike? Like maybe keeping a police baton in the pump holder?

Please don't be shy to share your thoughts.

Thanks Guys,

Yusuf

Welcome to the Hub. You will be offered all kinds of advice, some might seem strange and unhelpful. That is the nature of the Hub. Try to avoid areas where there have been reports of problems. Maybe post some the areas that you are considering riding in and people will offer their advice. Carry Pepper Spray. Do not bring a baton to a gunfight.

Firstly, get insurance.

2nd, what route? Planning is still the best.

While Somerset West is generally safe to commute, I do avoid certain areas. Never had a problem.

Get an armed Predator UAV. Or better still, get a C130 Spectre.

Those flame thrower things out your handle bars could work. I read an article awhile ago about some guy putting them under the door of his car to burn hijackers.

Best thing you can do is plan a safe route. If you can't then stick to you car.

Welcome, ysfsuleman!

To enhance safety:

1. Cycle in a group whenever possible.

2. Be vigilant and aware at all times.

3. Wear an ID tag, sticker.

4. Insure your iron horse.

As mentioned you will need a pump and something for security, combine the 2 and carry a pump action shotgun.

As mentioned you will need a pump and something for security' date=' combine the 2 and carry a pump action shotgun. [/quote']

Great idea!

Thanks guys for all your tips, really glad I joined this forum Big%20smile

Riding your Merida full sus could attract some attention. Perhaps cycle to work on a dunlop :)

Seriously tho. I think awareness is one of the most important things. Try to be in busier, open places.

And if it were to happen, don't resist.

The area you mention riding through should be safe from mugger point of view so unlikely you have to be too concerned there, but it get very busy with traffic so this for me would be a bigger concern.

Hey,

I ride in that sort of area. In general I have not had a problem and have felt safe, but that doesn't mean I'm complacent.

Traffic can be a bit crazy, so plan a good route. Took me a while to find a route that didnt go around the "S" bends on Barry Hertzog, cos ppl drive badly and there are no pavements. Now I have a good route, and really enjoy the training, time saving, reduced stress, and petrol saving.

Some advice:

Rather take a cheap bike (I have a training bike which I use)

Take pepper spray, but dont expect it to save you... If they have a gun, dont be stupid and reach for the pepper...

Possibly avoiding routine is also good. If you on the same bike at the same place at the same time on the same day of the week, you become and easy target.

Hope that helps.