cradle route

chucky

Mr Ples' date=' with all due respect, I am still waiting for replies to my two posts on page 32 amongst others. I have not engaged in calling you any names. I have tried to be civilised with you and engage in a civilised discussion. Yet you have chosen to ignore my civilised attempt to engage with you. You only seem to reply to name calling posts. Based on this it is clear that you and rest of the cradle residents are not serious about any solution to the issue. So while cyclists are trying to resolve the issue you clearly don't want to. How can there be a solution if you cradle residents don't want to try and find one?[/quote']

If you read the whole thread you would not make this assumption that cradle residents are not looking for a solution. THE FACT IS THAT IT IS THE CRADLE RESIDENTS WHO HAVE BEEN PUSHING FOR A SOLUTION , STARTING AS LONG AGO AS 3 YEARS. Read the thread before making such inane posts.

Hmmmmm. Interesting! But just as I thought. Only once I make comments like I did do I get a response. Non-friendly ones as well judging by your last sentence. May I kindly and in a friendly manner suggest to you, Cradleresident, that you go and read the thread. You would then see that I have posted here and there throughout the thread which means I have obviously read it. And, from reading the thread, it appears to me that the solution that you talk of is running cyclists over. Indeed, you have been trying this "STARTING AS LONG AGO AS 3 YEARS". It also appears as if your "solutions" are one sided and contain some degree of violence and aggression. I have a question for you based on the following scenario: You are driving in your car, say to the shops. You drive out your driveway and turn onto the public road in the cradle area. You drive along and a few kilometres further on you get stuck behind a slow moving truck (situation 1). After dealing with the truck you get to an intersection and want to turn left. But there is a car coming along and you can't safely turn. Without indicating the car turns left into the road you are in (situation 2). So then you are now on this road which is a busy road. As you approach another road a car turns left infront of you causing you to brake hard (situation 3). You are near the shops and the road is very busy around the shopping centre with a slight traffic jam. It is a double lane road. A taxi just stops without warning infront of you and as there are cars in the other lane you can't just go into that lane (situation 4). I could include numerous other scenarios but in the interest of time I won't. Now my question to you is this: How do/would you react or what do/would you do in each of those situations (situation 1, situation 2, situation 3, situation4)? It would be greatly appreciated if both you and Mr Ples could tell me what you would do in those situations (situations 1 to 4).
Andyr2492010-01-19 05:19:53

• Replies 342
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

snip snip Now my question to you is this: How would you react or what would you do in each of those situations (situation 1' date=' situation 2, situation 3, situation4)? It would be greatly appreciated if both you and Mr Ples could tell me what you would do in those situations (situations 1 to 4).[/quote']

Andyr249 I would like to know what do they do and not what would we do, as "would" in this case implies that you have time to consider your situation and come to the least agressive solution(even if only to save face on the interwebz), where as "do" implies the course of action taken in the normal/real world.

Here is my take on the situations listed above:

Situation 1 - ban all trucks from using the roads in The Cradle of Humankind (not too much humanity there it would seem)

Situation 2 - If this is not a Cradle resident, pull them over and poke them with a cattle prod. If the person is a Cradle resident, no worries.

Situation 3 - Hoot in an annoyed manner. Gesticulate wildly and cut the person off causing them to stop. Question them as to their residency status in the Cradle. If not a resident of the revered Cradle, get friends that are waiting in my car to join me and intimidate the offender. However, should the driver be a resident of the revered patch of earth then it is okay. Shake hands with the fellow owner of a R10 million farm.

Situation 4 - There is no way a Taxi driver can have the remote possibility of owning a R10 million farm in The Cradle. He/She must be dealt with in the swiftest manner possible. Organise road blocks to stop all Taxis from entering our hallowed grounds. All labourers that are working on the R10 million farms should know better than to allow their means of transportation to inconvenience us in any way. Fire them. They should have accosted the taxi driver and prohibited him/her from further causing a ripple in our pond of solitude.

It must be wonderful to live in an area where all the residents are courteous road users. The only people who could possibly break the law of the Road Traffic Ordinance MUST be alien to te area.

I am not for one minute labouring under the impression that cyclists are blameless. It is up to EVERYONE to make sure that their actions are lawful, correct and in the spirit of live and let live.

To All

I now post this for the second time. All has been revealed! Please read carefully! Quote-

Mark you just put your foot in it.

- You refer to my remarks as childish, and I don't read properly

- You admit now to carrying out an illegal action, riding two abreast, not in a cycle lane

- The motorist users the one tool available 'a hooter' to warn you of your dangerous and illegal action, and you now turn this into a show of aggression.

- You create an impression that the motorist was driving at high speed, you mention 80km/h, just how you determine this is questionable.

- you expect a motorist to apologise because you were in the wrong

- Your lawyers letter refers to you and 2 others cyclists being extremely experienced and competent , cycling in a safe manner, yet you now admit it was illegal.

- You now distribute a very misleading so called lawyer's letter and post a topic for all to read, naming the motorist and creating totally false impressions. You have lead many people up the garden path. You owe everyone an apology.

- You spread rumors of a road blockage, and still refuse to name your source. My advice - check the source sir!

I will call for a postponement of the planned meeting on the 20th Jan, and ask that the Cradle Community be informed of the facts and figures, and convene a series of local meetings to discuss the way forward.

I rest my case.

Regards

Trevor

Un Quote

snip snip Now my question to you is this: How would you react or what would you do in each of those situations (situation 1' date=' situation 2, situation 3, situation4)? It would be greatly appreciated if both you and Mr Ples could tell me what you would do in those situations (situations 1 to 4).[/quote']

Andyr249 I would like to know what do they do and not what would we do, as "would" in this case implies that you have time to consider your situation and come to the least agressive solution(even if only to save face on the interwebz), where as "do" implies the course of action taken in the normal/real world.

Thanks MadScientist, I ammended it.

Gasping, that was funny!

Mr Ples/Trevor. I'm new to the conversation and a cyclist who is pretty keen to get cyclists to be more responsible/respectful. A couple of the owners and a couple of the riders obviously have your backs up and are replying to each other in ways that isn't really moving the conversation forward, but there are others that want to fix it. I'm happy that you're still here and continue to talk, but we need to find a different dynamic to get moving.

I reckon get people together on the 20th. You're more likely to be a bit more chilled in real life. If you want to assemble the owners etc afterwards, then ok, but just start the process with a hopefully friendly meeting instead of keeping this conversation in your memory when discussing it.

If the conversation here continues to go south, maybe move those who are keen to negotiate to a new less-biased forum. Google Groups can provide one and hopefully participants will be more civil to each other.

Andyr249, thank you for the compliment. I saw your question went unanswered for such a long time that I thought in the interests of good manners I would post something.