cradle route

chucky

Was riding this morning with some team mates on cradle route,we were riding as far left as possible as there is no hard shoulder,and we were deleberatly being threatened by Dave from Brookwood trout farm,I have now had enough of the cradle residents putting my (our ) lives at risks.When i phoned him to ask if it was him that nearly took us out he said yes,and so what.Most of you also know that I have been at the fore front with the cradle residents trying to sort this on going problem out,there are no quick easy solutions which it seems like the residents want.

He (Dave) is getting a lawyers letter today for the records that if he ever knocks down anyone in the future he will face charges of attempted murder.

Im so sick and tired of the cradle residents thinking they own this stretch of road,my team mates and i are most probally the most safty conscience riders around and this David has no right what so ever to put my life at risk by sceaming past us hand on hooter and missing us by 2cm in his marked Isuzu double cab.If anyone else has had any incedents with David let me know in the future.

Further more the residents are planning a road blocade this weekend to prevent us from using a public road specifically designed for cyclists so pitch up in your numbers,but beware threats have been made.

Please no threats are to be made ,i will send a lawyers letter at my cost to David.

Mark Thijs

• Replies 342
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow! Great start to the New Year.

Your efforts have been much appreciated. Let's hope Nothing serious comes of this.

As long as we (cyclists) keep cool heads, and stick to the laws, there is not much else we can do.

Is this Dave of cattleprod fame?

After all the work you have done, its ironic that its you who is harrased by a resident.

Please keep it peaceful this time and do not threaten anyone as requested by Chucky above.  Do not respond to violence or threats.

Okay  not threated as in verbal but in missing us by a ball hair with his hand on hooter traveling at high speeds,with no other cars in the area.

When i phoned him he really does not care,and admitted to his antics,im NOT standing for it any longer,these residents do not have the right to threaten my safty ,rightly or wrongly.

This after all the effort you and IanJ did the last time, seems the CR have made up their minds not to tolerate cyclists on "their" roads

Okay  not threated as in verbal but in missing us by a ball hair with his hand on hooter traveling at high speeds' date='with no other cars in the area.

When i phoned him he really does not care,and admitted to his antics,im NOT standing for it any longer,these residents do not have the right to threaten my safty ,rightly or wrongly.

[/quote']

i totally agree with you. he has no regard for human life. big up to you for taking it further.

I was with Chucky (Mark).  The time was 06h21 and we were on the Avianto (Syringa) road.  There was not a car in sight and we were riding 2 abreast.  He missed me by less than 10cm and must have been doing 80km/h.  Hooting as he came past.

I don't care what anybody here says about cyclists being their own worst enemies, there as absolutely no excuse for this type of action.  I have a wife and 2 kids at home.  I did not threaten him, or inconvenience him in any way whatsoever.  Will he explain to my family why he delibrately put my life at risk?  Does he think he is entitled to take the law into his hands, and threaten my life because I am riding a bike on a public road.

I won't create a violent situation, I will take the legal route.  And the reisdents of the area should realise that they have made public threats which will not help their case when they are charged with attempted murder when they hit a cyclist.

We as cyclists have a right to be there.

I always knew the residents there were hostile. I never knew it was this bad.

Pretty scary, because although I don't do that route very often, when I do, it's usually by myself. And with irrate jack-a$$es in cars behaving like that, maybe solo riding isn't such a good idea?!  Confused

I can understand motorists getting ticked when large groups of cyclists consume the car lane (and I know this was a particularly heated topic just preceeding the 94.7), but the last few times I've been out there (granted it's only once or twice every 2 weeks), but ALL the cyclists I've seen, are well within the cycle lane.

Mark & Bruce, I suggest you go to your nearest Police station and report the matter. You have this guys details so give it to the Police even if nothing comes of it at least they will have a record of this incident in the event he does hit an innocent person. PLEASE, I BEG YOU TO REPORT IT!!Captain Slow2010-01-14 05:14:13

Is prevention not better than cure... I.e can you not criminal charges against him now? He has blatantly admitted that he endangered your lives intentionally with no regard for whether he causes harm or not. I am not a legal expert, but is this not sufficient to lay charges? At least this might give him and his buddies a fright. I don't think saying he will be charged once he knocks someone over is a good approach as this means, as long as he misses ppl by 10cm's, he is safe and you will only do something after someone has been seriously injured or worse thanks to him.

Judging by the responses on here, I am sure you will find many ppl who would contribute both time and money to assist in dealing with the matter.

Just my 2 cents... As mentioned previously, well done on actually doing something about it though, too many ppl will share a few choice words with the driver, post it on the hub and then leave it at that.

hmmmm.... here's an idea - what about a weekend where ALL cyclists are forewarned to stay away from the cradle route so that the bikers can go play??? surely there are enough of us cyclists who also have nice (read loud) bikes to go play at, oh say, 5am??????? it is a public road after all. and that way we'll just be doing the locals a favour by scaring off the cyclists?

It is very wrong and irresposible to name a person, and from where they originate. If I was the 'accused', I would consider taking this matter further, and I would request that the writer be banned from this forum, please refer to the rules and regs when you click on the 'accept' button when registering.

If this is the same person I know, a better man you can't wish to meet. Thank you for your time and effort you put into safe guarding our Community including visitors to the Cradle area.

(riding patrols, walking foot patrols, going the extra mile in preventing crime, and doing your bit to prevent farm attacks - given 50 citizens are mudered everyday in RSA, and assisting in chasing the attackers who attacked a cyclist last year at the Kromdraai circle)

Mark, we do need to keep some decency in this process and refrain from exaggerating and using phrases like 'ball hair'. Regards