cradle route

chucky

This thread is great in letting us know what cyclysts think of the residents. Ill be passing the link to this thread on to ALL residents and im sure you are all going to very welcome in the area. Those residents who were sitting on the fence will now be easily convinced.

A bit of a sense of humor loss perhaps?

• Replies 342
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Cradle Resident, I don't think its fair to tar everyone with the same brush. As someone who lives nearby the area and has a vested interest in the tourist related businesses of the area, I hope all parties can come to an amicable agrement on the issues at hand.

Prehaps a little understanding on both sides would go a long way to solving this issue. Neither party is going to get the upper hand here, no matter what is written.....

This thread is great in letting us know what cyclysts think of the residents. Ill be passing the link to this thread on to ALL residents and im sure you are all going to very welcome in the area. Those residents who were sitting on the fence will now be easily convinced.

not up to you or them on who's welcome' date=' public road...
I wonder, with the size of the cycling community in the country, think of the
amount of people riding the argus / 94.7, how a thread like this would
affect the businesses in the cradle.
[/quote']

As per the Teak meeting, Cycysts do bring business, but not as much as they make out, infact in some cases business is lost becauce who wants to go to a venue and fight 100's cyclysts with bad attitudes. Much easier to go somewhere else. Most cyclysts ride in and ride out and MAYBE have a breakfast. Club 100 and Cycle lab ride in and out with out stopping anywhere, so in not sure what business they are bringing. The cradle has a lot of wedding venues that are booked up in some cases up to a year, so im not sure what business is going to be lost by these guys. A lot of game reserves, so i cant see them losing business. The mountain bike guys are always welcome, so no problem there.

As to the public road thing, just shows your arogance, we can ride where we like and you must just accept it. No problem, who wants to ride in an hostile enviroment where you are made to feel unwelcome. As to the events,residents will show strong resistance. So who is the loser now. You are always going on about how this is the last decent place to ride in Gauteng and now you going to mess this up as well. No skin of our backs, i promise you. 

Cradle, sorry man, just trying to be neutral, but I can see that you really have a strong distaste for cyclists.

How often do you encounter bad cyclists?

[quote name=Cradleresident

As to the public road thing' date=' just shows your arogance, we can ride where we like and you must just accept it. i promise you. [/quote]

Actually we can ride where we like if its a public road and you must accept it, what we cant do is ride like cowboys, here i agree its not acceptable.

Potential problem there

The mountain bike guys are always welcome' date=' so no problem there. [/quote']

Show of hands how may "cradle frequents" own both road and mtb machine

I cannot understand how this issue has become so heated?

To the cyclists: when traveling through the area, please ride in single file, obey road rules, put a smile on your face and wave. Understand that it is frustrating to be behind some cyclists that are riding abreast and making it difficult to pass ect... Not everyones a cyclist and we all need to respect that. Contact the local councillor and push for cycling lanes.

To the residents: cyclists have a right to be on the roads, is it really that difficult to be on the look out for them? Is it really that hard to take care when passing them? It may not bring money in to the area in a direct way, but I'm pretty sure it helps indirectly. And why the aggravation, surely life is too short? Rather contact you local police station and ask them to help if the problem is so out of hand. Contact your local councilor and push for cycling lanes.

What we don't need is this name-calling and insulting that's happening, it's certainly not why I come to the hub. It's not that hard to make this work chaps, you just got to want to!

Bell-boy, insults aren't going to help, you're way out of line and Mr.Ples you certainly not helping. And cradleresident, do you speak for all residents... I think surely not, we need solutions here, not threats.

EigerSA2010-01-18 03:59:41

Quick question . How are you going to make a cyclist feel unwelcome?

Most of the guys on this forum are seasoned cyclist (except me) and they also hate the way some cyclists behave but but turning everyone agaisnt you is not going to help.

I dont put all car drivers in the same boat. was almost taken out twice yesterday cycling in the CYCLE lane in blauuwberg by drivers that are to impatient to wait for another car to turn.

not up to you or them on who's welcome' date=' public road...

I wonder, with the size of the cycling community in the country, think of the

amount of people riding the argus / 94.7, how a thread like this would

affect the businesses in the cradle.

[/quote']

As per the Teak meeting, Cycysts do bring business, but not as much as they make out, infact in some cases business is lost becauce who wants to go to a venue and fight 100's cyclysts with bad attitudes. Much easier to go somewhere else. Most cyclysts ride in and ride out and MAYBE have a breakfast. Club 100 and Cycle lab ride in and out with out stopping anywhere, so in not sure what business they are bringing. The cradle has a lot of wedding venues that are booked up in some cases up to a year, so im not sure what business is going to be lost by these guys. A lot of game reserves, so i cant see them losing business. The mountain bike guys are always welcome, so no problem there.

As to the public road thing, just shows your arogance, we can ride where we like and you must just accept it. No problem, who wants to ride in an hostile enviroment where you are made to feel unwelcome. As to the events,residents will show strong resistance. So who is the loser now. You are always going on about how this is the last decent place to ride in Gauteng and now you going to mess this up as well. No skin of our backs, i promise you. 

Cyclists stopping for breakfast is really only a small percentage of business, I am more thinking along the lines of the wedding venues, trout farms etc. etc. You seem to forget that cyclists use those venues as well. Personally I don't see myself supporting those venues in the future with the attitude of the cradle residents, and then I tell my friends about the attitude of the cradle resident business owners, and they tell their friends etc. and I am only one cyclist on this thread. Surely you can see how a attitude of you and the other residents are affecting your businesses.

Cradle' date=' sorry man, just trying to be neutral, but I can see that you really have a strong distaste for cyclists.

How often do you encounter bad cyclists?
[/quote']

Slowbee

A few things

I cycle 2 or 3 times a week. I also ride a bike. I never have a problem, cause i dont go looking for trouble.

If you read the thread with the photos, you will see what we deal with. The question is if this was happening at your house, would you be happy.

The effort has come from OUR side to sort the problem out, starting about 3 years ago and a lot of promises were made and nothing ever happenend.

After spending some time on your forum engaging with cyclysts , my point of view is I / we know why we are not coming right and now the we must push for the law to be applied. Hubbers can give many interpretations on the act to suit there own needs. Bottom line is at the teak meeting metro made it crystal clear, single file and the only place you can ride 2 abreast is in a dedicated cycle lane. If there is a cycle lane, irrespective of the condition, the law says a vechicle can not ride in the lane and a bicycle can not ride in the road. Lets put pressure on the metro and the cpf.

Cycysts do bring business' date=' but not as much as they make out

Most cyclysts ride in and ride out and MAYBE have a breakfast[/quote']

But you forget how many of us bring our families to the area when we are not cycling - I personally took the family to the Cradle Restuarant and the Lion and Rhino Park over Christmas, as well as visiting Teaks place.

So the cyclists (when they're on their bikes) may not bring much business in to the area (usually between 06:30 and 09:30 on a Saturday and Sunday), but I wouldn't underestimate the amount they bring in with their families, and recommendations to friends, when they are not on their bikes!

Many times, when I'm on my bike, do I see something and think 'I must go back to visit that'.

?

But you forget how many of us bring our families to the area when we are not cycling - I personally took the family to the Cradle Restuarant and the Lion and Rhino Park over Christmas, as well as visiting Teaks place.

?

So the cyclists (when they're on their bikes) may not bring much business in to the area (usually between 06:30 and 09:30 on a Saturday and Sunday), but I wouldn't underestimate the amount they bring in with their families, and recommendations to friends, when they are not on their bikes!

?

Many times, when I'm on my bike, do I see something and think 'I must go back to visit that'.

Maybe we (cyclists) should somehow communicate to the businesses in the area that the residents are threatening their (the businesses) incomes.

Maybe we (cyclists) should somehow communicate to the businesses in the area that the residents are threatening their (the businesses) incomes.

Why you threatening to do this now. You have allready posted cradle trout and Brookwood.  I know which way these guys are going to vote.

But now the Taxi driver threats. We can behave badly and if u dont like it we are going post the names of your business on the web and then maybe spam your business , post your wifes details on the web, send u lawyers letters and the list goes on. Oh and yes please make us welcome in the cradle.

You are your own worst enemy. Anyway if the law was forced then there would be no problems and we can all live happly. Anyway why are u worried. Go cycle and behave badly somewhere else. Talking about all this pull you have. You not as famous and loved as you think. Talk about cyclysts at any dinner party, check out some of the fb groups and then maybe reality will hit.

Why you threatening to do this now. You have allready posted cradle trout and Brookwood.  I know which way these guys are going to vote.

But now the Taxi driver threats. We can behave badly and if u dont like it we are going post the names of your business on the web and then maybe spam your business , post your wifes details on the web, send u lawyers letters and the list goes on. Oh and yes please make us welcome in the cradle.

You are your own worst enemy. Anyway if the law was forced then there would be no problems and we can all live happly. Anyway why are u worried. Go cycle and behave badly somewhere else. Talking about all this pull you have. You not as famous and loved as you think. Talk about cyclysts at any dinner party, check out some of the fb groups and then maybe reality will hit.

two people who, in my opinion, shouldn't be entitled to this "vote" you talk off. from their comments (one published and the other reported), they should be in jail.

In my opinion there will always be certain cyclists who believe that they are above the law. Likewise the same can be said of certain motorists.

Throwing stones at each other and making veiled threats is not going to alleviate any of the tensions between the parties and will not lead to an amicable solution.

Having said that though, I certainly believe that Mark, Bruce and Andrew deserve an apology from Mr X.

cradle I can see from your posts that you are a smart person.

I am sure you are able to filter the waffle from the good stuff posted

here. Most importantly - the post from Delgado gets to the point. There

needs to be a policing element for all people (I use the words all people

deliberatley), as you mentioned.

The best solution would be to have both cyclists and residents have a

road block (any funds raised can pay for beer and braai). Perhaps this

will get metro to pay attention.

When I used to ride in the cradle, those roads were very narrow. From

your photo's I see the roads are still narrow. Maybe you could use some

fund raising to

improve your roads to accomodate all users.